but how?
i just set my guitar to be in open e tuning, raised the saddle height
and officially have my guitar to dedicate to slide

but the problem is.. i am having alot of trouble finding resources like i did with normal guitar playing
what is the best way to go about learning it?
i want to learn right hand position, how to slide best with left, blues, non-blues.. everything!
i just dont know where to start

please help!
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Quote by Andron17
I brought a Slide with out much research. It was way to big. Fail. :/

Pretty much this.

Bought a slide that fit perfectly on my middle finger. Try and find one that fits on your ring finger, it's much more clean.
Last edited by Rikki DeMartini at Jul 15, 2009,
did anyone who did not fail have an answer?
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Quote by AXmichigan

Apparently not you, who set his guitar up to 'slide style' without knowing how to utilise it.

Main point from our two failures of posts = find one that fits properly (on your ring finger).
It's like picking, one thing might feel more comfortable at first, but another is more beneficial in the long run.
Quote by AXmichigan

I actually prefer one on my pinky, then you can still use the first three fingers as well. Make sure it fits.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
there are some good lessons on youtube. look there for sure. heres a lesson on playing behind the slide. theres some more lessons in the related videos. he's in open E here. i either use that or standard tuning. i use open G for walkin' blues but i dont normally use that tuning. usually open E or a downtuned version of it like open Eb, D, Db, and C. look up some sonny landreth if you havent already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd_grEizmAA&feature=channel_page

the thing about slide is its all about muting. you want to have the fingers behind the slide "ghosting" the slide and resting on the strings so they dont ring out. picking hand muting kind of varys from person to person. the way i do it is i mute the low strings with the big fleshy part of my thumb. the higher strings are muted with my fingers. ill just sort of rest them on the strings or maybe hold on to them as if i were about to pluck them.

now whether or not to use a pick is up to you. i use either depending on the sound i want or the song. sonny uses a thumb pick which is another option. i suggest playing in standard tuning as well. it can be useful. you cant play too many chords though. you can play some major an minor chords but they are three string chords instead of the whole 6 strings.

also, putting it on your pinky would leave you the most open to playing fretted notes and slide. i usually put it on my ring finger though. i should change that.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jul 15, 2009,
hey blind in 1 ear, thanks for the help
i figured out before that the ring finger works best for me

thanks for the advice
i found that guy on youtube yesterday and saw that he also has a link to a dvd
since there is nothing else i can really find in lieu of the dvd, i think i might spring for it

thanks for the help!
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals