I could use some help guitar shopping. I currently have some kind of Ibanez GIO (I'm not sure what model) and was looking for something a bit better. I'm stuck between the Schecter C-1 Blood Moon and the Ibanez S520EX, and was wondering if someone could advise me as to how they compare as far as quality and playability.

Also, (this may be a stupid question) since the main problem I have with the Blood Moon is the fixed bridge, is it at all plausible to modify a Blood Moon for an Ibanez ZR bridge? If so, would that be absurdly expensive?

Thanks.
Yes the modification is possible. I figure it will run at about $400-$500 US total to do so, however.
To my understanding Schecter and Ibanez necks are almost completley opposite, Schecter necks are like tree trunks an Ibbys are paper thin. So playability wise they would be very different in that aspect. Both are super strat bodies so theywill be somewhat similar in that aspect, but the Ibanez S bodies are very different from other super strats I have played. The bodies on the S models are very thin and the first time I played one it fel pretty weird, so that is also something to consider.

That aside, I'd also recommend looking at an S320 as well as the S520 because I believe the differences are only cosmetic. Unless you really like the color and inlay on the S520 in which case just ignore this statement
I had heard that the thinner profile of the Ibanez S series is supposed to make them easier to play. Is that true? Also, does Ibanez make their own pickups, because I don't recognize most of the names on their website? I know these are rather stupid questions, but I'm relatively new to guitar stuff.
I would go for the Ibanez. I usually like Schecter a little better, but in your case, the Ibanez is more of a fit. Just because adding a floating trem would be a pain, and not worth it.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by Shabadoo
To my understanding Schecter and Ibanez necks are almost completley opposite, Schecter necks are like tree trunks an Ibbys are paper thin. So playability wise they would be very different in that aspect. Both are super strat bodies so theywill be somewhat similar in that aspect, but the Ibanez S bodies are very different from other super strats I have played. The bodies on the S models are very thin and the first time I played one it fel pretty weird, so that is also something to consider.

That aside, I'd also recommend looking at an S320 as well as the S520 because I believe the differences are only cosmetic. Unless you really like the color and inlay on the S520 in which case just ignore this statement

wut.

TS i have a schecter and s series. The schecter neck is a little thicker but nothing uncomfortable (and i have small hands and am very picky). They are both top guitars. I hate trems but i blocked it off and i can even still get a small bit of wiggle for chord vibrato.

Cant go wrong with either as they are normally 2 companys who have good construction standards, but try before you buy!
Quote by 20cc
I had heard that the thinner profile of the Ibanez S series is supposed to make them easier to play. Is that true? Also, does Ibanez make their own pickups, because I don't recognize most of the names on their website? I know these are rather stupid questions, but I'm relatively new to guitar stuff.

I could see it being more comfortable to play standing up due to the weight reduction but it's really just preference. No feature on a guitar will make it guaranteed more comfortable to play.

Really, you just need to play both guitars and decide from that. No amount of information you can get on them will even come close to what a side by side comparison does.

Quote by 46+0
wut.

TS i have a schecter and s series. The schecter neck is a little thicker but nothing uncomfortable (and i have small hands and am very picky). They are both top guitars. I hate trems but i blocked it off and i can even still get a small bit of wiggle for chord vibrato.

Cant go wrong with either as they are normally 2 companys who have good construction standards, but try before you buy!

Just what I have heard really, hence the whole "to my understanding" bit. I've only played a few Schecters and have found the necks on them to be bigger but not uncomfortable in anyway.
I would say it all depends. The C-1 is probably a safer bet if you haven't played either, a Ibanez necks tend to be quite "specific" in their appeal.