Well, I need an amp that works with bass and guitar, like a Fender Bassman Head. Since they are quite expensive and rare, I was wondering if there are any other amps like that. I've heard only of the Bassman and the Orange Thunderverb 200.
Thanks in advance.
you can use a guitar with any bass amp, it just doesn't really work the other way around.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
i have a music man 130hd head that runs both, also a '69 sunn 1200S that runs both. if you want a cab(to go with the head) to do both i would go with a closed back design with celestion G12K-100 speakers as it has the low end response you'll need for bass. this is not an optimal setup for bass though. here is someone explaining things much better than i can with a similar question.

Q: something about running their new bass with a guitar amp

A: "Yes, it is possible, but not necessarily advisable, to run your bass through a guitar amp. Any amplifier simply magnifies the input signal it is given, so technically any amp would work for any instrument, at least to a point. The reason you would want to use a designated bass amplifier for your bass guitar is that the lower frequencies and harmonic range generated by the bass requires more wattage to "push" your sound. It requires less power to make high frequencies travel at audible level than low-range and sub-harmonic frequencies. Most guitar amps are between the 60 to 120 watt range, with 100 being pretty much the standard. Speakers are an issue as well. The general consensus is that a 12" speaker works best for the frequency response of a standard guitar, while (oddly enough) smaller 10" and even 8" speakers are typically used for bass. The problem with using a guitar amp for bass is not that your bass would "blow it to pieces" (don't feel bad, this is a common myth). Think about guitarists who use 7-string detuned models or dump the tremolo bar down as far as it will go - this is solidly in the bass guitar range, and it doesn't blow speakers or amps. The problem is frequency response, distortion, and power. If your guitarist is playing a 100-watt guitar amp and you try to compete through an identical amp on your bass, you'll probably be drowned out in a large venue. The bass simply needs more power to maintain a clear tone. 150 to 450 watts of power is the norm for bass, with some pro rigs going up into 4-digits of wattage! Guitarists usually like it when their 12" speakers distort and compress a little when pushed hard...that is part of the classic "stack" sound, but bass guitars distorting 12" guitar speakers usually sound like mud. I do have a solution for you for now, though. It may seem contradictory to everything I've just explained, but some keyboard amps work extraordinarily well with bass guitar. Their response levels are a little more adept at reproducing a clear bass tone without distortion than standard guitar amps. Your price limit does present a challenge as designated bass amps are pretty much all outside your limit of $120; but you still have options. If you're able to do so, try to save a little more $$$ so you can increase the quality of what you'll be buying - it may seem like a lifetime, but if you're serious about playing live, you really need the best you can possibly afford, as cheap gear usually breaks at the least opportune moment (your first big "break" show with important people watching is when your amp will fry). If not, then try to go with a keyboard amp for price's sake; Behringer makes a good versatile keyboard amp rated at 120 watts with four line input channels, a 5" midrange, and a 15" woofer for $199.99 (go to ZZsounds.com) that also has a Direct Output (DI) function so you could run directly to a PA system for small clubs. This would save you from having to purchase a designated DI box, too. You could also try thinking outside the box and hit up Radio Shack for one of their relatively cheap PA-style power amps that karaoke bars like to use; this may seem silly until you consider that Kurt Cobain used Radio Shack gear to great effect (as have I when I needed gear and was low on funds), and they usually have enough power to get the job done. Don't forget your local pawn shop brokers, the online trading posts like Craigslist, and flyers at your local music store. You just might be able to find a heckuva amp for a price you can truly afford, if you look hard. The Peavey company has built a host of lower-priced bass heads over the years, and you could most likely dig one up without too much trouble, I've seen them go for as little as $100 with around $160 - $200 being about the average. If you have any more questions or concerns, Shawn, please let me know and we'll get you what you need. Happy Shredding,
Ross "
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 15, 2009,