Page 1 of 2
I'm completely oblivious to the fender and fuzz universe.

I have no idea how to get that 90's alternative fuzzy sound, Placebo use it alot and I would love to get a similar sound, does anyone know how I can get that sort of sound, like the sound of the guitar on "For What It's worth" how do you get those sort of tones (I know there is phazer in that song as well). I'm really trying to work out that whole 90's alternative sound, I know for heavier parts they tend to use big muff's (Smashing Pumpkins especially) but what about the lighter yet wierdly fuzzy parts?

Even Nirvana had a cool grungy sound, I dunno how to go about the replication of cool retro 90's sounds can anyone help
Quote by Bazilisck311
So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?
Big Muff is a good place to start. Both those bands use regular amp distortion too though.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Billy uses a Big Muff.

Quote by ierostyle

I have no idea how to get that 90's alternative fuzzy sound,

Yes, definitely Big Muff.

But Kurt Cobain used Boss distortion pedals (DS-1 and DS-2), so consider those also.
Yeah Billy corgan loves his muff lol dues that get fuzz as well as heavy distortion?
Quote by Bazilisck311
So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?
a Jaguar copy and a big muff could be a good place to start?
Quote by Bazilisck311
Quote by ierostyle
Yeah Billy corgan loves his muff lol dues that get fuzz as well as heavy distortion?

Actually, the Muff is more of a fuzz pedal than distortion. But its a ****load of fuzz, I'll tell you that.

But like I said in my previous post, Kurt Cobain used the Boss DS-1 and DS-2, so you could get a Big Muff, and either one of those Boss pedals, if you want some heavy distortion.

EDIT:
Quote by ierostyle
a Jaguar copy and a big muff could be a good place to start?

Well, depends on what brand of Jaguar copy it is... But I'm sure if its not complete crap that setup would be a good start. Do you have a decent amp, though? You should always go for a good amp before anything else.

EDIT2: btw, nice avatar
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 15, 2009,
so a bucket load of fuzz then oooooh sounds funky, so with both combined would it get me near the "zero" sound of pumpkins yet without get that kind of "Bullet with Butterfly wings" or Placebo like tone?
Quote by Bazilisck311
I have a good amp trust me, a Marshall JCM2000 TSL60, it's like a 60w beast, but my cab is crap it's an MG series cabinet, I can't fit a full 1960 cab in my car lol
Quote by Bazilisck311
and I go for a natural RNR tone with my marshall Slash tone to the max through my Les Paul lol
Quote by Bazilisck311
Quote by ierostyle
so a bucket load of fuzz then oooooh sounds funky, so with both combined would it get me near the "zero" sound of pumpkins yet without get that kind of "Bullet with Butterfly wings" or Placebo like tone?

I've never really listened to Placebo, but I'm pretty sure the combination of a Big Muff and DS-1/DS-2 will be ****ing ****load of distortion lol. You might wanna check with one of the "Who To Listen To" people though, but I think it would be a pretty good rig.
thinking on it I guess my Epiphone SG maybe of use as well upgraded with a Seymour Duncan JB bridge
Quote by Bazilisck311
my Jag copy aint great it's a stagg one, not much going for lefties, don't want to resort to strat land really
Quote by Bazilisck311
Quote by ierostyle
my Jag copy aint great it's a stagg one, not much going for lefties, don't want to resort to strat land really

Well, the guitar is a really small part of your tone... But you should definitely save up for a Fender Jag once you get those pedals though, a true Fender guitar is something to be proud of, especially if you can get your hands on something vintage...

And any Epi guitar is pretty decent, so I'd use your SG or if you have an Epi Les Paul, that'd be good too, until you have enough money for a Fender Jag.
leftie ones in the uk are rare I tell you, I just don't overly enjoy looking at people playing strats lol I have both an SG and Les Paul and my cheap jag copy will try to save for a Fender one day

what would a blues driver then fuzz face sound like
Quote by Bazilisck311
how to I get a clean tone similar to all these slighly crunchy grungy cleans? would that be light overdrive at low volume?
Quote by Bazilisck311
Billy Corgan gear.

Gish- ada mp-1
Siamese Dream- Big Muff and JCM800 EHX Micro Synth for solos
Mellon Collie- Marshall JMP-1 Alesis3630 Mesa Strategy 500

now he uses Diezels
Quote by ierostyle
how to I get a clean tone similar to all these slighly crunchy grungy cleans? would that be light overdrive at low volume?

Could you give an example of a specific song with what you are talking about in it? I'm thinking that if you have a tube amp, drive the tubes a little bit. But I'm not quite sure I know what you are talking about.
well this sound dumb like I know nothing, but it seems that some artist are able to switch from really glassy cleans to kind of crunch cleans (thinking clean parts on teen spirit light crunchyness or a more recent idea being that start of east jesus knowhere)
Quote by Bazilisck311
an overdrive driving the tubes set to a real low volume?
Quote by Bazilisck311
Quote by ierostyle
well this sound dumb like I know nothing, but it seems that some artist are able to switch from really glassy cleans to kind of crunch cleans (thinking clean parts on teen spirit light crunchyness or a more recent idea being that start of east jesus knowhere)

with East Jesus Nowhere, he's definitely driving the tubes... not with a pedal though... the more you turn up the volume on the amp, the more distorted the sound will be, so you'll have to find that sweet spot for yourself... it won't be that hard, but depending on the amp, it may have to get pretty loud.

But if your going to want to go from clean to crunch, you might need an OD pedal for that, but you won't get the same type of crunch as you would if the crunch was coming straight from the amp.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 15, 2009,
cool might use my overdrive to give me the crunch cleans and then get a muff and a distortion, any idea what a fender blender sounds like?
Quote by Bazilisck311
I'm a big one for trying different sounds and songs so it's hard for me to narrow myself down with a clean and crunchy clean tone, so maybe an overdriven tone could help me maintain what I want, as a rhythm guitarist trying to really shape the whole sound of the track I guess it makes sense me having various versions of distortion and overdrive and stuff, some thing I'm wierd wanting to have the varying distortions and think I'm just wasting money away with it all, it's wierd
Quote by Bazilisck311
Quote by ierostyle
cool might use my overdrive to give me the crunch cleans and then get a muff and a distortion, any idea what a fender blender sounds like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtWfwHD0dOk

This guy goes through some tones that can be achieved with it. It's a pretty neat little pedal.
would it not seem ridiculous using both a fender blender and a bigg muff?
Quote by Bazilisck311
please read the rules if you haven't already done so. double-posting is against them.

i believe i noticed placebo using both a fender twin reverb (assumedly with a ProCo Rat Distortion pedal, a EH Big Muff or some other form of fuzz/overdrive) and a marshall of some description when i saw them live.
I need an excuse to play my amp loudly now, I need a practive, or maybe just a practice amp lol
Quote by Bazilisck311
I belive Billy also used a Fender Blender alot, not tried the Re-issue though, but there's an alternative, Devi-Ever is some pretty good fuzz aswell.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
If you want Big Muff tone, get a Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz. It sounds so delicious.
You could try using two pedals, ie a fuzz and a distortion, like a ProCo Rat with a big muff, that way you could roll the gain down on the Rat and use it as an OD, turn up the gain for standard distortion, and then introduce the muff for boosts, added crunch, soloing, and the classic shoegaze wall of noise. Somewhere in there you should be able to get the sound you want.
that might be something greenwoodfan93 would you recomend a rat as a good pedal, over a boss? a wall of noise sounds pretty appealing, I do like a ten tonne slab of sound!

Does it seem sensible to sugest using a blender for less heavy parts (softer parts) with buckets of fuzz and muff for heavy walls of mayhem fuzz?? and then distortion pedal for crazy wall of pain sounds. However I'm gonna have to match my marshalls lead channel as well, cause I always go for that natural marshall tone with my le paul live, I'm just looking for alternative sounds basically for new things I'm trying
Quote by Bazilisck311
Kurt used a big muff on Lithium.
Just my .02c.
And TS,running two dist pedals at once it that bad.
I found the sound of the big muff wasn't quite right for me,until i slapped a DS-2 in front of it.
Both with the tone and gain pretty low.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by ierostyle
that might be something greenwoodfan93 would you recomend a rat as a good pedal, over a boss? a wall of noise sounds pretty appealing, I do like a ten tonne slab of sound!

Does it seem sensible to sugest using a blender for less heavy parts (softer parts) with buckets of fuzz and muff for heavy walls of mayhem fuzz?? and then distortion pedal for crazy wall of pain sounds. However I'm gonna have to match my marshalls lead channel as well, cause I always go for that natural marshall tone with my le paul live, I'm just looking for alternative sounds basically for new things I'm trying

Yeah I'd definitely recommend getting a rat over boss, in my experience the DS-1, and DS-2 sounded really bad, (way, way to trebley and harsh, not enough warmth and crunch). I've heard that you can improve the sound a lot by doing a few mods, but if you weren't planning on that then I would definitely recommend the rat. I own one myself, and its a reallly nice sounding distortion and you can get a lot of good tones out of it. Just one other thing though, you won't get a 'wall of noise' with a rat or boss alone, (I don't know if that's what you meant), but combine them with a decent fuzz and you'll get your wall of sound.

And as for the mixing of the pedals to get different sound, it's all up to you to be honest, what you've suggested so far seems good, there are no real rules, its just whatever sounds good to you, but with a fuzz and distortion you should be able to get whatever sound you want, its just a matter of playing around with the pedals and getting familar with them.
Billy Corgan was known to use a Big Muff ontop of a slightly dirty Marshall type gain. Not just over the clean channel. The dual gain stages added to the complexity of the harmonic overtones.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
fender blender
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Kurt Cobain also used a ProCo Rat too I think.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
Kurt Cobain also used a ProCo Rat too I think.

Yeah, as far as I know he used a DS-1 for Bleach, DS-2 for Nevermind and a Rat for In Utero.

Also Thurston Moore used a Rat as well.
Quote by steve!
fender blender

Do you even know what a Fender Blender sounds like?
+1 to a Rat and Big Muff.

Billy also used a Fender Blender, but that may be just a bit too unusable for you.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Page 1 of 2