Page 1 of 4
callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Do you want to know what , "i was shreddin an amazing lead on my axe at the gig" means
A thread devoted to the words of guitaring, (basicly cause to many people asking what something means)
Slang or technical do-da's put it down!
if you would like to know what a word means just type it in, and an answer will appear soon enough,
if you like to answer the questions please leave a clear definiton of the correct wording and maybe some examples if needed, or you just like to be proud of yourself.
let The Guitar Dictionary begin!

When you want to answer a question please lay it out with the lheading in bold, then a dash, with the answer(s) on the next line,
I.E
Example-
this text in normal on next line, title in bold

(*by the way i have searched for this and nothing came up, so please dont flame me if there is*)

N.B - most answers published by me may have been from what i know or Wikipedia or other posts in the UG forum.

-*-8-*-8-*- The Guitar Dictionary https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307128 Check It Out And Pass It On!!!! -*-8-*-8-*-
if your would like to help the "Guitar Dictionary" hit off, please include this in your signiture. thanks you

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
LiK3 CaLluM j00r s0 1337 & c00l!!111oneoneone
LollZerZ!11 *Flashes Eyelashes*

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN
callum you are my god! <3 LUB!

i rock...

Mky
46 IQ
So, what's shredding?
------------------
callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Shredding-
In the context of an electric guitar, "shredding" refers to a virtuosic, highly technical style of playing the instrument, as exemplified by the virtuosos of the eighties such as Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Greg Howe, Tony MacAlpine, Shawn Lane, Steve Vai or Yngwie J. Malmsteen.

The style of shred guitar is strongly founded in technique and theory. Many shred guitarists are extremely well versed in music theory and classical music. Much time is devoted to the development of technique through numerous exercises. A key practice tool is the metronome. Many virtuosic techniques displayed by "shredders" include sweep picking, tapping, legato, alternate picking, string skipping, as well as a combination of the aforementioned techniques.

Although shred is not as prominent today as in the 80's- highly technical guitar playing can still be found in many genres. Progressive metal and Death Metal contains many guitar virtuosos. John Petrucci, guitarist for Dream Theater, exemplifies the "prog metal" guitarist as well as guitar extraordinarie Michael Romeo from the progressive band Symphony X . And Chuck Schuldiner from the band Death, (Death/Tech/Progressive metal) also exemplifies highly virtuosic abilities on the guitar.

There are a handful of good shred guitar websites on the internet such as 'Shredaholic', and 'TruthInShredding' which feature content ranging from guitar lessons to discussion forums, and often offer help to aspiring instrumental artists trying to get heard.

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

Stimpomatic
UG Member
549 IQ
Quote by Mky
So, what's shredding?

shredding is playing as fast as possible while still maintaining musical structure and sense (most of the time). i have question and it may sound somewhat newb, but what are double stops?
the downfall of UG...........

Quote by obey_yourmaster
Who the heck is Ronnie James Dio? I vote Bruce
!

callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Double Stop-
A double stop, in music terminology, is where a musician plays two notes simultaneously on the guitar. In performing a double stop, two separate strings are depressed (stopped) by the fingers, picked/plucked simultaneously. only on stringed instruments

Likewise, the triple stop (three strings) and quadruple stop (four strings). Collectively, double, triple and quadruple stopping are called multiple stopping.

not a newby question, i didnt know what it is for a few years!

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

NovemberRain273
I don't like Guns n Roses
5,451 IQ
whats legato?

btw i just wanna say that this thread was an awesome idea!
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Legato-
In musical notation legato indicates that musical notes are played smoothly. That is, in transitioning from note to note, there should be little to no silence between notes. Legato technique is required for slurred performance, but unlike slurring, legato does not forbid rearticulation.

In guitar playing legato usually refers to slurred notes, especially hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides. An electric guitarist using legato technique will generally only pick notes when changing from a lower to a higher (pitch-wise) string. All other notes are played using the techniques mentioned. Many electric guitar virtuosos are well-versed in this technique, as it allows for incredibly rapid and also incredibly "clean" runs

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

Mokumo
I hate you. A lot.
62 IQ
This thread is a good idea, I'll add a few!

Feedback -
The hum you get when a string vibrates for a while, the note stops and then you get this OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sound that lasts forever until you touch the string. This sound is typically achived by standing right in front of your amplifier (with your guitar facing it) with high gain. This sound can be a very useful tool once you figure it all out, but can be very annoying to listeners who hear this screaching noise for a long time. I'm not TOO sure on how the science of this works, but I can guess that the note goes out of your amp, and then your pickups pickup its own noise, and this happens repeatedly; ultimately giving you a humming sound.

Tapping -
A way of doing hammer-ons and pull-offs. What is unique about it is that it is done with your right hand. When someone is tapping, the usually play much faster than normal. For a good example of this skill being used, see the song "Eruption" by Van Halen.
For a how-to, see here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/tapping.html
http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/right-hand-tapping/index.php
BE WARNED: People who tap a lot are often labeled as showoffs. It's a good skill to have, but don't use it too much.

Pinwheel -
I think it was originally done by Pete Townsend(sp, I'm not too big of a Who fan :p. It's when you move your right arm around in a BIG, COMPLETE circle, and while you descend, you strum your guitar. Tada.
Member #10 of the Final Fantasy VII fan club. PM syyz1 to join.

Quote by SGFREAK
just imagine playing slide on that wangcaster lol
NovemberRain273
5,451 IQ
whats a triad?

ridcullylives
UG's McCartney Defender
490 IQ
A triad is any three notes played together. Usually it is made up of the 1st note, 3rd note, and 5th note of a scale played together.

There are six basic kinds of triads: Major, minor, diminished, augmented, and suspended (4ths and 2nds)

In C major:

C major triad: C E G
C minor triad: C Eb G (3rd lowered)
C diminished: C Eb Gb (3rd, 5th lowered)
C augmented: C E G# (5th raised)
C suspended 4th: C F G (3rd replaced with a 4th)
C suspended 2nd: C D G (3rd replaced with a 2nd)

All chords are based off of these different triads.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
really good additions guys,
mokumo, nice with the 3 answers but can u try and wait for people to ask? because if everyone posts all the words in one week the thread will go away,
happy dictionary-ing

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

PsychoFreak
955 IQ
What are passing notes?
Quote by human-blasphamy
Didnt MCR do that song The Gay Parade It went like this
when I was A young boy
My father took me to the bedroom
and told me not to tell
callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Passing notes-
A nonchord tone, nonharmonic tone, or non-harmony note is a note in a piece of common practice music which is not in the chord that is formed by the other notes; for example, if a piece of music is currently on a C Major chord, the notes CEG are members of that chord, while any other note played at that time is a nonchord tone. While such tones are most obvious in homophonic music, they can occur in contrapuntal music as well.

A nonchord tone is a dissonance and is required to resolve to a chord tone in conventional ways. If the note fails to resolve until the next change of harmony, it may instead create a seventh chord or extended chord. While it is theoretically possible that for a three-note chord there are (in equal temperament) nine possible nonchord tones, nonchord tones are usually in the prevailing key.

for a full list of passing note examples see.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_note

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

Mokumo
I hate you. A lot.
62 IQ
Quote by callumirvine
really good additions guys,
mokumo, nice with the 3 answers but can u try and wait for people to ask? because if everyone posts all the words in one week the thread will go away,
happy dictionary-ing

Aw man...
Member #10 of the Final Fantasy VII fan club. PM syyz1 to join.

Quote by SGFREAK
just imagine playing slide on that wangcaster lol
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
863 IQ
ok someone explain to me the difference of

tension and suspention

when referring to chord characteristics.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Tension -
In music tension is the perceived need for relaxation or release /
Pitch can be adjusted by varying the tension of the string. A string with less tension (looser) will result in a lower pitch, while a string with greater tension (tighter) will result in a higher pitch. The change in frequency is proportional to the square root of the change in tensionsee picture below)

i do not actually know what suspention is, maybe someone else could feild this question as i am not able to answer. thank you

-Callum
Attachments:
tension of string.png
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
A suspension is when you "suspend" a fourth or 2nd interval in a chord and them resolve it.

Play this - D Dsus4 D

Wow. Suspensionatic!

Or, use a sus2!
callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
lol thanks alot,
great addition
keep them coming

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

beaker
UG Rock Star
72 IQ
suspension is like a softer version of tension, playing a normal C major(for instance)you would create the tension with a Csus4. the replacement of the E(replaced by the 4th note, the F) note of the normal C major creates the feeling of the chord hanging in mid air(or suspended), always wanting to revert back to the C major...thus creating suspension
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
863 IQ
i think i get what suspension sounds (sus chords yay) like but what kinds of chords have 'tension' in them?

also, i dont quite understand the concept of 'resolve'
Youtube covers

Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
^ chords with tension are often dissonant chords (your ear wants to run away!) and chords that sound like they're "just about" to go back to the tonic.

And as for resolving? You'd know it if you heard it. Its that sense of things returning to "rightness" and "simplicity" that you get from a cadence or nice harmonies...
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
863 IQ
hmmm im still not quite sure of resolve and i have no idea what cadence is care to explain using an example?

and Tonic is the root note correct?
Youtube covers

callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Resolution (resolve - resolving) - - -
Resolution in western tonal music theory is the "need" for a sounded note and/or chord to move from a dissonance or unstable sound to a more final or stable sounding one, a consonance.
Resolution has a strong basis in tonal music, since atonal music generally contains a more constant level of dissonance and lacks a tonal center to which to resolve. The concept of "resolution", and the degree to which resolution is "expected", is contextual as to culture and historical period. In a classical piece of the Baroque period, for example, an added sixth chord (made up of the notes C, E, G and A, for example) has a very strong need to resolve, while in a more modern work, that need is less strong - in the context of a pop or jazz piece, such a chord could comfortably end a piece and have no particular need to resolve.

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Cadence-
In musical theory a cadence (Latin cadentia, "a falling") is a particular series of intervals or chords that ends a phrase, section, or piece of music. Cadences give phrases a distinctive ending, that can, for example, indicate to the listener whether the piece is to be continued or concluded. An analogy can be made with punctuation, with some weaker cadences acting as commas, indicating a pause or momentary rest, while a stronger cadence will then act as the period, indicating the end of the phrase or musical sentence.

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Tonic -
The tonic is the first note of a musical scale, and in the tonal method of music composition it is extremely important. The triad formed on the tonic note, the tonic chord, is thus the most important chord. More generally, the tonic is the pitch upon which all other pitches of a piece are hierarchically centered.

After tonic, the names of the remaining scale degrees (of a diatonic scale) in order are as follows: supertonic-2nd scale degree, mediant-3rd Scale degree, subdominant-4th Scale degree, dominant-5th Scale degree, submediant-6th Scale degree, leading Tone-7th Scale degree, subtonic-Also 7th scale degree, but applying to the lowered 7th found in the natural minor scale.

There can be major scales and minor scales. The tonic remains the same in these two different "modes," for a given key, wheareas scale degrees such as the third degree and the sixth degree are altered in the minor scale.

Tonic as the root note-
In music the root (basse fondamentale) of a chord is the note or pitch upon which that chord is perceived or labelled as being built or hierarchically centered upon. This feeling of centeredness is readily aurally perceivable for the culturally trained (those who grew up with European music) and its verbal labelling is a basic skill for the musically trained.

When the root is the bass note, or bottom, of the expressed chord the chord is said to be in root position. This may also be described as uninverted or as in normal form. Often the root is not actually the lowest pitch being played in a chord, in which case the chord is inverted.

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

Matthoney
37 IQ
Divebomb? I think i know what it is but I would just liek to be certain.

Thanks, a a great idea.
callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
im not to sure about divebomb,

i cant seem to find a definition, May somebody else field this question?
Quote by Matthoney
Divebomb? I think i know what it is but I would just liek to be certain.

cheers again guys for the questions and answers

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

d_man2k
Banned
590 IQ
Divebomb -
from what I understand, it's where you strum a chord then push the whammy bar on your guitar down smoothly and fairly slowly then let go quite quickly. This will give you the divebombing sound. I'm not an expert as my guitar has a Hardtail.
callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Cheers Thanks for that contribution.
please lay it out as described opening post

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
lol , u done it now, thanks

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

Night_Lights
I've been here too long
863 IQ
define please

Jamming.

Tritone.

comping.

vamping.
Youtube covers

NovemberRain273
5,451 IQ
whats violining?

and not only what is violining, but how do u do it? i think its what metallica does during the acoustic part of to live is to die.

callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Jamming -
(a jam session) a musical act where musicians gather and play (or "jam") without extensive preparation or predefined arrangements.
or jamming can be used in reference as to "play" your guitar / other instrument. usually as converstation slang.

Tritone -
The tritone, as its name implies, is a musical interval that spans three whole tones or six semitones. The two most basic types of tritone are the augmented fourth and the diminished fifth. Two tritones add up to 6 whole tones - or 12 semitones - usually a perfect octave. A common symbol for tritone is π.

One of the two strong dissonances in the diatonic scale, it was called diabolus in musica ("the Devil's interval") by some from the early music era to the baroque period. It was exploited more heavily after the advent of equal temperament due to its usefulness to create a modulation. The only intervals (less than an octave) in tonal music that keep their characteristic sound in inversion are tritones. The tritone is abbreviated as TT

comping-
(Jazz accompanies) Comping (an abbreviation of "accompany") is the art of harmonically, rhythmically, and melodically supporting a jazz soloist with improvised chords. In a standard jazz combo, the pianist typically comps during the horn and bass solos by improvising chords and notes. During the piano solo, the pianist often plays melodic lines with his right hand while comping with his left hand, treating his right hand as the "soloist."

Vamping-
(jazz reference)
In jazz, a vamp is simply a repeating musical figure or accompaniment The equivalent in classical music would be an ostinato. A background vamp provides a performer, or perhaps the pianist's right hand, a harmonic framework upon which to improvise. A vamp often acts as a springboard at the opening of an improvisation.

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Guitar-
A guitar is a stringed musical instrument. For right-handed players, the right hand plucks the strings with either the fingers or a plectrum (guitar pick), while the opposite applies for left handed players (in general). The sound is produced by vibrating strings, which in turn resonate the body and neck.

Guitars may be acoustic, electric (i.e. with electrical amplification) or both. Classical guitars are also present in the guitar family. Guitars have a body acting mostly as a resonator, which can be hollow in acoustic guitars or solid in most electric guitars, and a neck. Typically, a headstock extends from the neck for tuning.

Parts of the guitar

1)Headstock
2)Nut
3)Machine heads
4)Frets
5)Truss rod
6)Inlays
7)Neck and fretboard
8)Neck joint
9)Body
10)Pickups
11)Electronics
12)Bridge
13)Pickguard

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
Sweep Picking-
Sweep picking is the term for a guitar technique when a guitarist picks a string on their guitar downwards and then the next string below it downwards, in a 'sweeping' motion. This also applies for upward strokes, in which a player will sweep up the guitar strings towards themselves. Most guitarists will sweep across three or more notes within the same chord, but the notes are fretted with each fingertip separately (i.e. absence of barre chords) as the technique involves the player's pick striking each string and then pulling their finger off of the note they have just played to mute the sound produced. When properly executed, there is never more than one note sounding at a time. This is also sometimes called the "legato technique". Guitarists usually sweep pick arpeggios, as they produce a specific neo-classical, violin-like feel to their phrasing.

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

NovemberRain273
5,451 IQ
umm i still have my quesiton unanswered -_-

callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us
539 IQ
oh sorry dude, i thought i said i didnt have an answer,

Can someone please provide an answer for "what is violining"?

Thanks for the great questions and answers yet again

-Callum
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Meaning...

Quote by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote by DreadLord-IoN

i rock...

Jehuty
UG's Fingerpicker
1,593 IQ
Im not sure if you mean this but I think it is the following:

You play a note, then slowly drop the volume to 0, then play another note and up the volume again. Wait for someone else to provide a better explanation and/or back me up.