Page 4 of 4
notoriousnumber
UG Fightmaster
1,744 IQ
Just thought of this one:

"Woah man, your shredding that board like Vai on mahogony dust."

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
JustinYap
The Bluesman
299 IQ
what's it called when you n someone else are soloin, and then u do a little bit of a solo, and the other dude kinda "answers back" with another bit. what do u call that??
Blues Power
ridcullylives
UG's McCartney Defender
490 IQ
^^ In jazz and whatnot when you trade solos it's called "trading fours" (or eights, or twos, or ones, or tens, or w/e) because it's often one person solos over four measures then the next person takes four, and etc. etc.

But if you are clueless as to measures or if you're not doing it by measure, you could just call it...trading off, I guess.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
i think the ideology behind what justin yap is referring to is considered a 'call and response' type solo or a 'question and answer' it's a really good basic way to compose or improv a solo and is used by lots of musicians and can be used by just one person, not necessarily 2.
bangoodcharlote
Fractal
855 IQ
Quote by JustinYap
what's it called when you n someone else are soloin, and then u do a little bit of a solo, and the other dude kinda "answers back" with another bit. what do u call that??
A "duel" or "call and answer."

Quote by MuzzleFlash
Hard tail

Tremelo
Hard Tail-Fixed Bridge, no whammy bar

Tremolo-A rapid fluctuation in volume. This is used a lot in surf music. Many people refer to their whammy bars as tremolo bars. This is misleading. The Bar changes pitch, not volume. You should call the bar a vibrato bar or a whammy bar, or even simply bar.
George898
211 IQ
what are eights?
I Will Follow You Into The Dark.
Your History Is Mine,
Whats My Age Again, Whats My Age Again?
What Became Of The Likely Lads?
feltgrape
Redefining Voice
603 IQ
Quote by George898
what are eights?

There are 4 quarter notes in a 4/4 bar, there are 2 8th notes in a quarter note.
So when you tap your foot, 1 2 3 4. For 8th notes you would go.

1 and 2 and 3 and 4.

The 1,2,3,4 is still landing in the exact same spots, but your picking notes in between them.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

benyard123
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by Carnivean
Lol and here's a correct definition -

Chops

1. Ability to play an instrument. To have great chops is to be technically or stylistically profient on a musical instrument.

2. This term also has a double meaning. If a drummer is said to "have chops" or "be working on his chops," it refers to technical abilities, such as speed, dexterity, the ability to play lots of notes in fills, etc. No particular style is involved: Jazz, rock, or any other type of drummers might have "chops." If a drummer is said to be playing with a lot of chops, that means that he is playing a fairly busy part, with a lot of notes. ...

It's not really the muscles, but the skill involved in general.

#1 is dead on. #2...I don't know about drums so I can't add anything but the term chops was first coined by the Jazz guys. They would play the melody of the song and then the members of the band would get a chance to do a break...or an improve on their instrument. Their skill on their instrument was evaluataed as chops. That was a good answer Dude...help me out with this. I want to understand it and where can I get it in terms of theory about the cage system? Anyone? I had this music teacher that was going to teach me but all he really did was show off how well he could play the guitar. He wasn't that good and he was a dickhead. Another thing...what is the rule of thirds? Thanks
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
^ jazz guys did start the chops thing. It comes from your literal "chops" on your face - which became very well developed when one played enough jazz saxophone/trumpet/general wind or brass.
benyard123
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by corinne_123
um...what is a lick?

it's a musical phrase that's universally excepted as being cool.
benyard123
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by corinne_123
um...what is a lick?

It's also used a lot in ice cream cones.
jaymrock741
96 IQ
How Do you have a bass and guitar battle wat are some goood song tabs to use or something
riFfmAster508
164 IQ
I keep hearing terms that describe amp and pedal sounds such as "thin, fuzzy, warm, thick, muddy(and any others i left out)", can someone please describe what these sound like, and what is sustain?
Nautaflcl
1,254 IQ
Um, i feel a bit dum asking, but was is a lick, as i'm not too confident in the answer that was given, it was incredibly short and not specific, and what is a riff?
bangoodcharlote
Fractal
855 IQ
Quote by MuzzleFlash
Sustain?
It's when you play a note and it lasts a long time. A note with a lot of sustain will last a long time and sound clear (Santana). A note with little sustain will fade out quickly.

Quote by Nautaflcl
Um, i feel a bit dum asking, but was is a lick, as i'm not too confident in the answer that was given, it was incredibly short and not specific, and what is a riff?
There are no set guidelines, but I use riff to describe a rhythm passage and lick to describe a lead passage.

Riff-"Walk This Way"
Lick-The part of "Sweet Child" where the solo gets a little nastier.
benyard123
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It's when you play a note and it lasts a long time. A note with a lot of sustain will last a long time and sound clear (Santana). A note with little sustain will fade out quickly.

There are no set guidelines, but I use riff to describe a rhythm passage and lick to describe a lead passage.

Riff-"Walk This Way"
Lick-The part of "Sweet Child" where the solo gets a little nastier.

good answer dude, and Nautaflcl...go find a book with licks in it you dumb fu-k. Lady Madona, Purple Haze, Pretty Woman...all these are licks. A lick is a musical phrase that is universally accepted by the masses as being the sh-t. Lick this you dumb sh-t!
night_elf2004
242 IQ
what are semitones? and what is the differance between Flat and Sharp and what is this "theory" i keep hearing about
pnoy_sk8er21
2,245 IQ
semitones are 1 fret between each note. like on the low E string, the first fret is F. the second is the semitone, F#, then the third is G. two frets are tones, while 1 fret is a semitone.
blackhorsemen
2,020 IQ
Quote by pnoy_sk8er21
semitones are 1 fret between each note. like on the low E string, the first fret is F. the second is the semitone, F#, then the third is G. two frets are tones, while 1 fret is a semitone.

what is a key
night_elf2004
242 IQ
i have a couple of things i need a answer for like what does it mean on a guitar to have "a fast neck" like what does bolt on and a guitar having jumbo frets
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.
987 IQ
Quote by Mokumo
This thread is a good idea, I'll add a few!

Feedback -
The hum you get when a string vibrates for a while, the note stops and then you get this OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sound that lasts forever until you touch the string. This sound is typically achived by standing right in front of your amplifier (with your guitar facing it) with high gain. This sound can be a very useful tool once you figure it all out, but can be very annoying to listeners who hear this screaching noise for a long time. I'm not TOO sure on how the science of this works, but I can guess that the note goes out of your amp, and then your pickups pickup its own noise, and this happens repeatedly; ultimately giving you a humming sound.

its actualy in technical terms when the sound coming from your amp loops throught the guitar and comes out the amp again
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
psycho78
15 IQ
Quote by night_elf2004
what are semitones? and what is the differance between Flat and Sharp and what is this "theory" i keep hearing about

the answer you got for semitones is right on...one fret is equal to one half-step or one semitone. "flat" refers to lowering a note one semitone..C to B (which is Cb enharmonically-just another name the note goes by). "sharp" is raising a note one semitone..C to C# (or Db). the best definition i can give for music theory is that it is the study of the roles notes, intervals, scales, key sigs, time sigs, etc. play in composing music, and explains why some things work well together & some don't.

you're doing yourself a huge favor if you learn theory. it has cleared up so many things i didn't understand previously.
let's get some f uckin' freeeench toooast!
prayforsin69
Banned
180 IQ
2 questions... i dont know if they have been asked yet i didnt want ot have to go through all 8 pages but what is loop? like in a loop pedal- and also what is reverb like through a pedal as well. what effect would that give you?
guitartilldeath
Ug's Chinese Kid.
1,418 IQ
What's the difference between a phaser and a flanger?
My Gear:

Ibanez RG450LTDBC
Boss GT-8
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Behringer guitar
Behringer V-Tone GM108 Amp
...and my fingers.

Quote by unfathomable_bo
At a Nile gig when some guy shouted "Egypt is gay!"

^^
mothership
The Mothership is Coming
1,473 IQ
wow.. this is a nice thread..

so what is fluttering??
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots