How I can find chords from a melody? For exemple Corridor of Time from the game Chrono Trigger, the basic notes are D and F#, but, if I want to do a chord progression to follow the music using the basic notes (Major, minor and 7), sometimes it sounds strange. How I can find more advanced chords to make the progression sounds good? I Attach a music in MIDI format.
Attachments:
CorridorsOfTime10.zip
The best way to determine the chord progression behind a melody is to look for the chord tones. Specifically on the strong beats like 1 and 3, and not on the offbeats. Chord tones will generally be more dominant and non-chord tones will mostly be used as passing tones and such.
Quote by pwrmax
The best way to determine the chord progression behind a melody is to look for the chord tones. Specifically on the strong beats like 1 and 3, and not on the offbeats. Chord tones will generally be more dominant and non-chord tones will mostly be used as passing tones and such.

thank you, but, is there any method or steps to follow to made it easy?
Try to find the root note first, and then see if it's major/minor/whatever.
Figure out what key the song it is and then the root of the chord and then you should be able to figure out if it's major or minor from that.

Major Key - I ii iii IV V vi vii-diminished
Minor - i ii-diminished III iv v VI VII

Upper case numerals are major, lower case is minor
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Quote by metalzeppelin
Figure out what key the song it is and then the root of the chord and then you should be able to figure out if it's major or minor from that.

Major Key - I ii iii IV V vi vii-diminished
Minor - i ii-diminished III iv v VI VII

Upper case numerals are major, lower case is minor

thanks, got it.

just for exemple can someone find good chords for this song I attached only as an example? I think its only 2 chords... thanks in advance.