Voters: 32.
Which on is better for high gain/nice crunch/amazing clean
Express
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
agreed. but why are you only looking at those two amps? the variable wattage?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. but why are you only looking at those two amps? the variable wattage?

yes and similar price
The Express, but I'm not a big fan of the Express series. They're very 'meh', IMO. I would look into something else if you can.
Mesa Nomad, DC, and F series amps are all similar to the express, much cheaper, have a great lead channel (and are great for leads in general) and a very nice fenderesque clean channel.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The express is by far much more versatile but from playing them I would say don't expect that Mesa Rectifier hi-gain sound. Nice amp but not that kinda sound. I bought the TT because it was cheaper and produced the sound I was looking for just fine.
express for tone, terror for value. not sure where you're from, but around my neck of the woods the TT is much, well, reasonably cheaper than the express.
-IMO, neither.
Quote by DDOW
yes and similar price

wow, for a similar price i'd go with the mesa. Though that's somewhat based on how expensive mesas are here, here the mesa is about 3-4 times the price of the tiny terror.

But as everyone's been saying, older mesas would be worth a look, too, the f-series etc. how much is a budda superdrive compared to the mesa express? if it's similar, it'd get a warmer sound more akin to the tiny terror (but a lot better), with versatility more approaching the mesa. I'm not sure if it has variable wattage, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
mesa!!!!
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
Quote by Dave_Mc
wow, for a similar price i'd go with the mesa. Though that's somewhat based on how expensive mesas are here, here the mesa is about 3-4 times the price of the tiny terror.

But as everyone's been saying, older mesas would be worth a look, too, the f-series etc. how much is a budda superdrive compared to the mesa express? if it's similar, it'd get a warmer sound more akin to the tiny terror (but a lot better), with versatility more approaching the mesa. I'm not sure if it has variable wattage, though.

actually, the only time i've seen an express 5:25 in a store it was 1050USD used.. so i don't think they're really similarly priced..
^ is that compared to the orange TT or the budda? I seem to remember the cheapest budda might be in the low thousands of dollars ($1300?) but I could be wrong, or the prices could have risen recently.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the TT. the budda superdrive 18 is about 1300USD at Musicians Friend, the TT is 580USD at Wild West Guitars, but apparently lists at 750USD. the express 5:25 seems to run about 1150USD.

it's also worthwhile to mention that the Mesa is a different voicing than the TT...
I would pick the Budda out of all of them imo. The Express series just doesn't sound all that great, even if you aren't going after a Recto sound. The TT will save you money and you would still be getting a nice amp in the process.
Quote by guitarted
the TT. the budda superdrive 18 is about 1300USD at Musicians Friend, the TT is 580USD at Wild West Guitars, but apparently lists at 750USD. the express 5:25 seems to run about 1150USD.

it's also worthwhile to mention that the Mesa is a different voicing than the TT...

yeah, definitely (the voicing).

If an extra $200 isn't too much of a stretch, the budda is probably worth the extra, unless you're already stretched at the mesa's price. Or of course if you just don't like the budda.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
at that price point i'd go for the budda also. the Mesa really isn't that great for the price. the TT is awesome, but not as awesome as the budda.
I actually quite liked the express, but i don't really trust my own opinion on mesa. The pricing policy here in europe is so effed-up that even though I know they're basically thinking of a price and doubling it (compared to the USA prices), I'm still not convinced that psychologically I don't think it's better than it actually is because of the price.

But yeah, I'd prefer the budda.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it may have just been the one i played, but i found it to be quite bland and the drive more fizzy than anything. just wasn't to my taste i suppose.
i thought it sounded not bad, but now that I remember, i didn't try it with humbuckers, and i'm more used to humbuckers. So yeah, probably not a conclusive test by any means.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?