hey guys
i was lookin around some marshall amps, just for the fun of it
and i was wondering wat marshall amp could give me heavy metal distortion, while still being able to get me good overdriven tones and some nice cleans

if they do exist, great and some sound clips would help, or a link
if they dont, im more interested in the distortion

thx
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
JCM 900 maybe? Marshall isn't the best brand for metal.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
im pretty sure Alexi and Roope from CoB use marshalls

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
the closest you'll get i think is probably the tsl100 just youtube it
but marshall is usually not the best option in terms of metal.
on second thoughts the the jvm might be pretty good
hmm cos ive ream reviews about the JVM410H they say its good 4 metal
then any good metal amp heads with a good cab?? with the same specs as my above post, could help if its more than 1 channel
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
ya alexi and roope do use marshalls, and i like that tone, any idea on wat they might be using
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
if i wasn't playing guitar right now i would go get the magazine in which it says their setup...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
You could go Mesa Stilleto for a more British flavored metal tone and it's got great cleans. And a Mills, Mesa, or pretty much any decent cab with V30s would sound good.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
From Wikipedia:
"Alexi Laiho has used the Lee Jackson GP-1000 Preamp and Marshall JCM 800 cabinets (with Celestion speakers) and various power amps for most of his career but has recently started using the Kerry King Signature Marshall head."

A few carefully clicked links later, it is revealed that the JCM 800 is what Kerry King uses. Plus a distortion pedal. So... meh?
Quote by SPBY
if i wasn't playing guitar right now i would go get the magazine in which it says their setup...

if it wouldnt be too much trouble, please get up and check the magazine for me, it only takes u a second

i mean, y post that if u werent gonna tell me
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
dave mustaine and john 5 use marshall JVMs,
kerry king uses a modded jcm800
all the old metallica albums were made using purely marshall amps (jcm)

i think that if you want a super high gain sound (modern metal) then you may try engl powerball or mesa boogie triple rectifiers
thx dude, so a jcm 800 head, with a jcm 800 cab, and a distortion pedal??
does it say which one??
could u send the link?
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by j-mac71
dave mustaine and john 5 use marshall JVMs,
kerry king uses a modded jcm800
all the old metallica albums were made using purely marshall amps (jcm)

i think that if you want a super high gain sound (modern metal) then you may try engl powerball or mesa boogie triple rectifiers

Mustaine uses rack gear, currently a Rocktron pre-amp and a Marshall EL34 100 Power amp.
John 5 uses a crappy MF350.
Kerry King's is stock with KT88s. He just got one that happened to have more gain.
And the old Metallica albums were recorded with Boogies slaved into Marshall heads.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

jvm would be my pick from the modern marshalls. I've only been able to try it at pretty low volumes, but i preferred its more classic tones to its high gain tones. The high gain tones still sound pretty marshally, so while it has a wide range of tones in terms of available gain (it'll do everything from clean to modern high gain), it's not the most versatile amp in terms of range of different classic tones, kind of thing. if that makes sense.

what kind of budget do you have, and what country are you in? (affects prices and availability)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thx guys
one more thing
could any1 tell me a good distortion pedal that would give me a nice high gain sound with a jcm800??
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
You don't want a distortion pedal. Just get an overdrive to push it that little bit extra.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

will an OD (tubescreamer probably) give it enough gain for metal?? if so how should a tweak the amp cos it doesnt have a gain setting
just treble, bass, mid, presence, preamp volume and master volume of courese
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
marshall JCM800 single channel with preamp gain dimed, then a tube screamer on top of that
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
thx dude
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal