Page 1 of 3
So my company has jobs going in the USA and Canada and i would considering moving from the UK. The company have places going in Portland Maine and Vancouver Canada.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of moving to the US or Canada? Eg Canada maybe a bit boring compared to some places in the USA, weather better in the US, but Canada has less crime and free healthcare.

I guess what im looking for in priorities

1) cheap living
2) better weather
Last edited by 46+0 at Jul 15, 2009,
I'd personally rather go to Canada, but it's up to you.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
You're from the UK? Are you also white?

You should have no trouble getting a US visa if these are both true.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Vancouver is the 3rd best city in the world for quality of life, constantly growing, near Whistler, and Canada is amazing.
Quote by SteveHouse
You're from the UK? Are you also white?

You should have no trouble getting a US visa if these are both true.

Yes family have lived in the UK for generations and im white. I did get an assault conviction when i was 18 though. Guy attacked me so i headbutted him and broke his nose. I have a degree tho and have about $40k USD
I'm a Canadien and I believe you should think aboooot it before you make in any stoooopid decision..

disclaimer: yes I did just come into this thread to a bad Canadian impression
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I've never been to anywhere in Canada, but I would choose Vancouver over Portland, Oregon in a heartbeat. Other than Salem, Oregon...Oregon sucks. SO boring. Unless you're old and just looking for somewhere to pass the time til you die.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

come to canada. it's similar to the US except its better. all the wealth, free healthcare, same climate, same people, except without the ignorance and violence, without the "south", without the gun nuts, and its just plain awesome. Canada ftw.

also, almost every other country loves canada, except for the US who make fun of us, but every other country hates america so that kinda says something. if you choose canada, move to either BC, Ontario, Alberta, or Quebec (Quebec takes some getting used to). the other provinces are pretty boring.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by stinger12345
I've never been to anywhere in Canada, but I would choose Vancouver over Portland, Oregon in a heartbeat. Other than Salem, Oregon...Oregon sucks. SO boring. Unless you're old and just looking for somewhere to pass the time til you die.

Edit:- sorry its Portland MAINE!!!

Na man, really just looking to start somewhere. My company has places everywhere but vacencies for my position in Maine at the moment.
I'm from Ontario, Canada, and I love it here. I've heard amazing things about Vancouver, and I've always wanted to go there. I actually have some family over there. Can't say much about Oregon though, I've never been.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by will123456789
I'm a Canadien and I believe you should think aboooot it before you make in any stoooopid decision..

disclaimer: yes I did just come into this thread to a bad Canadian impression

You forgot to say eh.
Quote by 46+0
Edit:- sorry its Portland MAINE!!!

Na man, really just looking to start somewhere. My company has places everywhere but vacencies for my position in Maine at the moment.

Maine is boring too.
Canada.

I live in Ontario right now, so that should be all you need to know.

Ahah, but Canada really is a great place. I've never been to Oregon... so I can't say anything aboot it.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Last edited by Fryer Mike at Jul 15, 2009,
Vancouver isn't boring compared to anywhere in the US (not that the US isn't exciting). It's a really great city, I already live in Canada and I'd still like to move to Vancouver. I guess the downside to Canada might be the weather, but still, Vancouver doesn't have winters nearly as bad as most other parts of Canada.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
id go with canada, its cool
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
a lot of my friends go to maine, they say its terribly boring
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by greatone_12
I guess the downside to Canada might be the weather

He's coming from the UK...

I'd take our brutal winters juxtaposed with our boiling hot summers over perpetual clouds and rain.
Maine is really just another state too. The only states in the US that are good places to live in are...California, Florida, New York, Texas, and (Boston) Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. If I couldn't live in one of those states, I would rather live in Canada. (IMO)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

Oh, well if it's between Vancouver and some place in Maine, go for the syrup.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

1) Vancouver is one of the greatest cities on the entire planet, I've been there it's beautiful
2) Free health care
3) Some of the best dope in the world comes from British Columbia
4) Snowboarding!!
5) Lower crime rates than the US
6) The world actually likes Canada
7) Grizzly cocksuckers
8) Beautiful wilderness
9) Beautiful ladies
Quote by stinger12345
Maine is really just another state too. The only states in the US that are good places to live in are...California, Florida, New York, Texas, and (Boston) Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. If I couldn't live in one of those states, I would rather live in Canada. (IMO)

Obviously California sounds good but im Scottish and maybe couldnt take the heat. Also isnt there a shedload of natural disasters in California?
I hear Portland is a good town. Haven't heard a lot about Vancouver though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by 46+0
Obviously California sounds good but im Scottish and maybe couldnt take the heat. Also isnt there a shedload of natural disasters in California?

Yes, it can get hot, but during the summer there are much worse places, like Arizona. Earthquakes are really the only natural disaster you have to look out for California. Whereas in states like Louisiana and some of those southern states, you have to be ready for tropic storms and hurricanes/tornadoes and all that stuff.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

Quote by 46+0

I guess what im looking for in priorities

1) cheap living
2) better weather

From what I heard, the cost of living in Vancouver is apparently one of the highest (or highest?) cities in Canada. I'm sure its cheaper outside of the main city though.

Come to Canada...just stay out of the hell-hole I like to call Toronto. Unfortunately I'm stuck there.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Quote by stinger12345
Yes, it can get hot, but during the summer there are much worse places, like Arizona. Earthquakes are really the only natural disaster you have to look out for California. Whereas in states like Louisiana and some of those southern states, you have to be ready for tropic storms and hurricanes/tornadoes and all that stuff.

But wasnt Orange County suffering huge fires recently? Seems its on the news a lot.
Quote by 46+0
But wasnt Orange County suffering huge fires recently? Seems its on the news a lot.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those wild fires. I'm not really sure what's to blame for those, but yes that can happen. But there are plenty of other places in California you could live in. Could you have an opportunity to live in Cali? Because if you're choices are down to Main/Vancouver I would say we digress...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

Quote by stinger12345
Oh yeah, I forgot about those wild fires. I'm not really sure what's to blame for those, but yes that can happen. But there are plenty of other places in California you could live in. Could you have an opportunity to live in Cali? Because if you're choices are down to Main/Vancouver I would say we digress...

Well i could move anywhere really. I dont really care about my job lifestyle is infinately more important. Scotland is pretty ****. Nice scenery but the culture,weather, food and standard of living are bollocks.

Actually isnt it legal to grow weed in California?
Quote by Grindar
Vancouver is the 3rd best city in the world for quality of life, constantly growing, near Whistler, and Canada is amazing.
This.

But if you move to the US, keep north. It gets too damn hot everywhere else.
Balls.
Yes, it is legal to grow weed here. But..it's only legal with the state, the DEA (federal agency) can still bust people. But they really only go for cannabis clubs and people growing A LOT of bud. The amount you can grow depends on the county you live in, but the rule is generally 6 mature plants OR up to 18 immature.

There are some really nice places here in CA, I'm from the Bay Area, and I think it's a perfect place to live. San Francisco is a great city. There are really nice people, and it's night life is as good as anywhere in the US. But housing there is a little more expensive, and I assume most major US cities are. But there are other cities close to SF with cheaper housing, the most obvious to me is Oakland. It's relatively cheaper, and just a bridge toll away.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

Last edited by stinger12345 at Jul 15, 2009,
+1 to San Francisco
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Demonazzz

Come to Canada...just stay out of the hell-hole I like to call Toronto. Unfortunately I'm stuck there.

toronto is awesome man. i love our city. except for this whole garbage strike crap. MOST summers toronto is awesome.
Quote by stinger12345
Yes, it is legal to grow weed here. But..it's only legal with the state, the DEA (federal agency) can still bust people. But they really only go for cannabis clubs and people growing A LOT of bud. The amount you can grow depends on the county you live in, but the rule is generally 6 mature plants OR up to 18 immature.

There are some really nice places here in CA, I'm from the Bay Area, and I think it's a perfect place to live. San Francisco is a great city. There are really nice people, and it's night life is as good as anywhere in the US. But housing there is a little more expensive, and I assume most major US cities are. But there are other cities close to SF with cheaper housing, the most obvious to me is Oakland. It's relatively cheaper, and just a bridge toll away.

you could consider Ottawa or Toronto then. if you are feeling ballsy and can stand the french Montreal is an amazing city.
Go for Vancouver. I was born there, so I'm biased, but I think it's one of the greatest cities on the continent. And no matter what anyone says, Canada is higher than the US for quality of life -- so that should definitely factor in to your decision.
no
vancouver doesnt get as cold as the rest of the country, but i dont think it gets super warm either.

i hear its a beautiful place, just expect lots of rainy days.
Quote by Demonazzz
From what I heard, the cost of living in Vancouver is apparently one of the highest (or highest?) cities in Canada. I'm sure its cheaper outside of the main city though.

whats wrong with toronto?
im just curious cause i was considering going there or montreal for my undergrad when i finish high school.
Page 1 of 3