Alright well i need to make a recording of a cover song. I used a camera alone for the last one but it didn't sound totally up to par with what i wanted. ]

I want to make a video recording and record through something with some definition and quality (Eg. something i can use through the out on my amp). I would also consider something like a microphone into my computer and software with that but i don't know what my sound card is like so that may not work. Is there any way to accomplish what i want to get done for under $100?
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Last edited by alexpalka23 at Jul 15, 2009,
look into usb mics. the other options are line in(which isn't the worst when you have software like garageband to help the tone, but it is really bad if you don't) and mic into interface into computer(which is much more expensive than just a usb mic.

blue has a popular usb condensor for around 100 bucks, and some music software(like garageband again) allows you to score to video as well.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
look into usb mics. the other options are line in(which isn't the worst when you have software like garageband to help the tone, but it is really bad if you don't) and mic into interface into computer(which is much more expensive than just a usb mic.

blue has a popular usb condensor for around 100 bucks, and some music software(like garageband again) allows you to score to video as well.

I was actually thinking something like a portable recorder with a line in on it. Would it be possible to get decent tone through something like this?
Anyone know about my above post? I need to get this recorded by friday so i need this all done quick.
you can record that way yes. will it sound good... most likely not. there are good units like you have stated that can do this, but it is unlikely you have one. the easiest way to get passable sound would be mic in front of amp and record on the best recording device you can find. unfortunately good recording devices are not cheap.

if you are recording with a camera you will notice a drastic difference just using a mic close to your amp. the next step is to use mixer between the mic and the camera, this allows you not to really on the crappy camera preamp.

frankly i am at a loss as to what you think a 'good' recording is, cuz my standards are pretty high on that front and i don't see being able to get a good recording without some dough. but you can get a better recording just by using a microphone and a mixer into the camera, this bypasses the cameras subpar mic and preamp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
you can record that way yes. will it sound good... most likely not. there are good units like you have stated that can do this, but it is unlikely you have one. the easiest way to get passable sound would be mic in front of amp and record on the best recording device you can find. unfortunately good recording devices are not cheap.

if you are recording with a camera you will notice a drastic difference just using a mic close to your amp. the next step is to use mixer between the mic and the camera, this allows you not to really on the crappy camera preamp.

frankly i am at a loss as to what you think a 'good' recording is, cuz my standards are pretty high on that front and i don't see being able to get a good recording without some dough. but you can get a better recording just by using a microphone and a mixer into the camera, this bypasses the cameras subpar mic and preamp.

Alright cool man. Thanks for the help. I'll look into a few things.