Hey people, this is prob the wrong forum but does anyone know if it's possible to get a left handed Gibson Melody Maker??

Your replies would be greatly apprciated
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom (black beauty)
Yamaha ERG-121C
Oakman acoustic
your kinda missing the cut away then which can be a bit of pain
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom (black beauty)
Yamaha ERG-121C
Oakman acoustic
Quote by Floydage
your kinda missing the cut away then which can be a bit of pain

you could always get the double cut away version
they have a double cut away version???
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
It would probably cost a ****load to get one custom made anyway, so you might want to look for a different guitar.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
ive looked into lefty handed versions before, they dont make them
best bet is a double cutaway, or maybe LP jr
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Led Zeppelin 67
they have a double cut away version???

The Joan Jett signature Melody Maker is Gibson's current double-cutaway version. I think it has a control cavity under the pickguard so it wouldn't be very feasible to swap the controls to the blank side of the body so they'd be in the right spot for left-handed use. Aside from that, resetting the bridge saddles and replacing the nut with left-handed grooves would do the job.
Somewhat off-topic, but how is the Melody Maker? I saw one at a store a couple of days ago, and couldn't believe how low it was priced, being a Gibson and all.
Quote by toyboxmonster
Somewhat off-topic, but how is the Melody Maker? I saw one at a store a couple of days ago, and couldn't believe how low it was priced, being a Gibson and all.

well its still made in the USA so it can't be too bad
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
I think the Melody Maker is a nice guitar but really haven't bothered trying the new ones. I had a 58 Melody maker that was my main guitar when I was gigging on a regular basis. I chose it over all my LPs because it was light and had a great tone. It was modified with a Dimarzio Super Distortion humbucker. It didn't have the original pup in it anyway someone put a later model P90 in it and not a good job of it so I didn't mind routing it for a humbucker. Any way I loved it.

As far as a lefty model goes I have never seen one. I think the closest your going to get to a Melody Maker is with a lefty SG they sound and fell pretty close.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I think the Melody Maker is a nice guitar but really haven't bothered trying the new ones. I had a 58 Melody maker that was my main guitar when I was gigging on a regular basis. I chose it over all my LPs because it was light and had a great tone. It was modified with a Dimarzio Super Distortion humbucker. It didn't have the original pup in it anyway someone put a later model P90 in it and not a good job of it so I didn't mind routing it for a humbucker. Any way I loved it.

As far as a lefty model goes I have never seen one. I think the closest your going to get to a Melody Maker is with a lefty SG they sound and fell pretty close.

John

Gibson did not introduce the Melody Maker until 1959.
Last edited by carpepax at Jul 16, 2009,
True the MM was introduced in 59 but mine had a serial number that didn't date it as a 59 or anything later. The serial number was just 8 383. I was told by Wurlizer Music here in Boston it might have been a pre production model or a salemans sample thus the 58. I never really looked into it because who ever owned it before me hacked the body to put in the P90 thus ruining any value it might have had and then I opened up the cavity even more to get my humbucker in it. Also it had no finish on it what so ever it was bare mahogany which I was told they never did. This is why I always referred to it as a 58 because the serial number predated the 59s.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Jul 19, 2009,
^Hmmm...most interesting.

I used to have a heavily modified 1959 Melody Maker. A previous owner had sanded the edges of the body almost round, installed two PAF humbuckers and the 4-pot controls like a Les Paul. Then, it was hit with a walnut furniture stain and polyeurethane varnish that had since become yellowed and crazed(fine cracks like old paintings). I traded it off after owning it for a couple years and I regretted idoing so ever since...
Melody Makers were pretty cheap guitars and still don't bring a lot of cash even for the all originals. $1500.00 on average and that is for one that is dead mint. There were 3/4 size MM done between 59 and the mid 60s and SG style bodied ones from the mid 60 to early 70s. I never came across a 3/4 size MM but I did have a few SG types. They did a reissue in the late 70s thru early 80s but i heard they were pretty crappy. Now they did another reissue and the JJ Sig.

A lot of people hacked the hell out of them. I have bought many over the years that were modified but never kept them except for that one in question because of the odd serial number. I forgot to mention the guy I got it from, uncle worked for Gibson he gave it to his Dad who gave it to him and he sold it to me. I paid $100.00 for it and I sold it for about $650.00 to Daddy's Junky Music several years ago. Looking back I think I should have kept mine.

Seeing Gibson did some SG style MM is why I say a lefty SG is probably the closest thing your going to find to a MM sound.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Jul 16, 2009,
A little update. I contacted one of the reps at Gibson I keep in contact with and he confirms the serial number of my Melody Maker #8 383 is consistent with a 58

Here is a copy of his email:

HI John,

Thanks for writing!! The number 8 838 (note the space) would be consistent with a ’58. However, the number 8383 (without a space) is consistent with a 1961. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Wynne

Gibson customer service

There was a space between the first 8 and the 383. So I am assuming mine was made in 58 probably for release in 59.
Well, it seems like they have built some:

(Found here)

But I'm sure you'd be a lucky guy if you find one for sale. It's a pretty rare guitar.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria