new here so i figured i'd post some of my stuff hopefully for your listening enjoyment. i'm new to homerecording so there are some flaws however i am getting better. feel free to gvie me any comments or tips on how i could improve the sound quality . as for my song writing abilities well i'm working on that to.

www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=933186
Hey!

I like it, when you said you just started, I expected really really amateur stuff, but that wasn't that bad at all for just starting out! Quite surprising. It could use some polishing, but the songwriting isnt bad either. A little, little bit bland, but flair will come with practice, so it's nothing to get sad over. Keep going with it.

C4C?
thanx. i know i need work in both depts but both tunes are tests for functions of recording. both songs are fairly improvised as i didn't write them prior to recording. both were done as i went along.
Interesting and promising work.
My advice to you would be on 2 points :
1-The guitar sound is way to thin for my taste. You mentioned that you are new to home recording. I would suggest that you acquire a sim amp software as guitar rig or GTR to be able to postproduce your guitare sound.
2-Your phrasing seems a little too linear. Don't know if it is on purpose or not. If not, try singing what you want to play and then play it.
Otherwise, you definitly have composition skills...
Hope this helps
Quote by belpat
Interesting and promising work.
My advice to you would be on 2 points :
1-The guitar sound is way to thin for my taste. You mentioned that you are new to home recording. I would suggest that you acquire a sim amp software as guitar rig or GTR to be able to postproduce your guitare sound.
2-Your phrasing seems a little too linear. Don't know if it is on purpose or not. If not, try singing what you want to play and then play it.
Otherwise, you definitly have composition skills...
Hope this helps

actually the guitar was done thru a POD XT. i used a strat. the sound i was going for was an early 70s hard rock sound. in keeping with thatidea i stuck to the playing style many guitarists of the time used. thanx for the kind words.
Its actually pertty good for a beginner, better than the stuff I produce, but all I got is a mic and an amp, seems like you have a bit more than me. But like belpat said, the guitar is a bit thin, I would add some bass to it to give it more low end, shouldent change the tone too much.
i use a Zoom digital 8-track and a POD XT to record with as well as an assortment of fx pedals both digital and analog. keep in mind that this was meant to sound like something from '70/71 and not like modern metal. i played my Vineyard strat on all of the guitar parts.
Ok man, C4C coming up:

Lifeforce: great groove! are you playing the bass too?? Sounds good
Great rhythm change. The main riff reminds me of some new Satriani song i cant remember the name.
When the solo begins i think it would be nice to have a second guitar doing rhythm

Project 7: The beginning remids me of Sabbath, do you like them??
Great effect in the lead! Is it a wah?? i doesnt sound quite like it, but i like it
I think this one is a bit repetitive, i like the effect and riff but im sure you can write another riffs and tempo changes to complete it, its a nice idea to begin with
Quote by NunoSlash
Ok man, C4C coming up:

Lifeforce: great groove! are you playing the bass too?? Sounds good
Great rhythm change. The main riff reminds me of some new Satriani song i cant remember the name.
When the solo begins i think it would be nice to have a second guitar doing rhythm

Project 7: The beginning remids me of Sabbath, do you like them??
Great effect in the lead! Is it a wah?? i doesnt sound quite like it, but i like it
I think this one is a bit repetitive, i like the effect and riff but im sure you can write another riffs and tempo changes to complete it, its a nice idea to begin with

yes i played bass on both songs. i thought about putting something under the solo but since there really isn't a rhythm guitar in the whole song i decided not to.

yup love sabbath. Project Seven is mostly just me learning the basics of the digital recorder so its not very complex. the drums are just a repeating pattern to keep time. its a combo of phaser and flange on the lead parts. i kind of stumbled over it when messing around with a digital multifx unit and thought it was cool and kind of had a vocal quality about it. as i've mentioned both songs are kind of me winging it while trying to learn about the recorder/drum machine/POD. as i get more confident with them i'll be able to make better realized songs. thanx for your kind words.
Well, the recording quality is very good. The guitar and bass should have more contrast instead of playing the same or very similar riffs alot of the time. Also, the drums seemed kind of random in the change, ther was no build up or anything, they just changed. I like the tone of the solo though, that was good, and the riffs were basic but effective.
Quote by Ape_Natural
Well, the recording quality is very good. The guitar and bass should have more contrast instead of playing the same or very similar riffs alot of the time. Also, the drums seemed kind of random in the change, ther was no build up or anything, they just changed. I like the tone of the solo though, that was good, and the riffs were basic but effective.

the drums were done with preset patterns and are pieced together. i'm still learning how to use the drum machine as well as the other equipment used in recording. i only doubled the bass line for the one riff so i'm not sure what you mean on that. i keep things relatively simple to aid in the recording process. all the parts are played all the way thru in a single take with no punch ins ( i haven't really got that down well enough to use it yet. ) as i learn more the music will get more sophisticated. thanx for the comments as i need all the imput i can get to make things better
not bad at all. like others said, i think the bass could be doing something different, like setting a nice heavy groove over it. it would really liven up the recordings
you are hearing me talk

CHECK OUT MY TUNES ON MY PROFILE

Gear:

laney VC30
tele/jaguar hybrid
Big muff
Small clone chorus
memory boy
Hadrwire RV-7 reverb
DD3 delay
Dunlop Crybaby wah
TS9 overdrive clone
home made tremolo
I'm assuming you prefer drums over guitar because the drums were a lot better than the guitar. try to work on your lead guitar phrasing.
while i'm fine with constructive criticism i'm not much on smart ass. the drums are a drum machine so aren't subject to playing imperfections. i don't claim to be a great guitar player and i'm sure my playing needs to improve, who's doesn't. i listened to you and you should talk. while your rhythm playing is solid your leads are nothing to brag about. perhaps you're trying to be helpful but thats ot the way you come off.
Good work for being new to the recording thing. In my opinion, the right channel (what I'm hearing through the right side of my headphones) sounds very flat and uninteresting. Perhaps try doubling up the tracks on the guitar, and setting the channels slightly different from the other in terms of the pan. Maybe try and experiment with changing the panning on the guitar as the song progresses to keep it interesting. The guitar's volume in relation to the drums and bass is too low in my opinion.

All in all, not bad, keep it up mate.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins
I listened to lifeforce 2 mpg 2
The structure in the song seems kinda random. The guitar is too muffled, it should be higher up in the mix. The main riff is pretty good, it reminds me of the main riff in the song "gaybar" by the electric six. The solos are pretty nice, but you really need to turn up the guitar. This is still better than my first songs for sure.
ok then.......
i've heard both songs, i prefer project 7(i think that was the title) the bass has a groove that i feel really keeps the track locked in. you have a great ear for bass line's i'll give you that.
i hear what you mean about the 70's rock feel but i'd say most 70's rock is humbucker based using the brigde pickup,imo.
your effects are good they just need EQing or messing about with settings.
for your recording needs try getting reaper it's great and easy to use. you should be able to use your podxt as a sound card.
keep at it, write stuff down, jam over the backing of your song. and never delete your work after doing a crap solo like me,lol

c4c?
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/metal105/
the killing joke/metallica cover, 'the wait'.
Quote by metal105
ok then.......
i've heard both songs, i prefer project 7(i think that was the title) the bass has a groove that i feel really keeps the track locked in. you have a great ear for bass line's i'll give you that.
i hear what you mean about the 70's rock feel but i'd say most 70's rock is humbucker based using the brigde pickup,imo.
your effects are good they just need EQing or messing about with settings.
for your recording needs try getting reaper it's great and easy to use. you should be able to use your podxt as a sound card.
keep at it, write stuff down, jam over the backing of your song. and never delete your work after doing a crap solo like me,lol

c4c?
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/metal105/
the killing joke/metallica cover, 'the wait'.

thanx for the kind words. you're the first person to say anything about the bassline in project 7 glad someone liked it. i don't really think of myself as much of a bass player so thanx. actually there were tons of strat players in the 70s including some of my absolute favs like ritchie blackmore, robin trower and uli roth . my computer is rap so i'll stick with the Zoom for now its actually a really good recorder i've just got a ways to go to get the most out of it.