A question

Basically, say i've got a song that i want to be in the Key of A, so all the notes are A B C# D E F# G#.

Can i make a Chord progression using any (if not all) of the notes i've just written?

So i could have a chord progression of C# to E to G# to A. (i'm aware this may be a terribly boring progression, but just for an example)

Thanks.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
Yep. Except it would be C#m EMaj G#dim AMaj.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by theacousticpunk
Yep. Except it would be C#m EMaj G#dim AMaj.

Could you explain why for example i couldnt use a C# major instead of the minor?
It all goes back to chord construction. For this example, I'm going to do triads.

The following notes are in A Major: A B C# D E F# G#.

Chords are made up of a root, a third, and a fifth. Which means, the chord to represent A in A Major would be made up of A, C#, and E.

Staying within the key, you'd have these chords for the other notes:

B minor          (B,D,F#)
C# minor         (C#,E,G#)
D Major          (D,F#,A)
E Major          (E,G#,B)
F# minor         (F#,A,C#)
G# diminished    (G#,B,D)

Of course, you can definitely use other chords; there are no rules in music, but the major scale is a general guideline of what sounds good.
Last edited by Erick vonZipper at Jul 15, 2009,
Stacking thirds.

your scale is A B C# D E F# G#

take any note from that scale, that's the first note of your chord, then move up a third (ie 2 degrees along the scale) to get the next note, then move up a third again from that note - that gives you a triad, and doing that for every note in the scale gives you its chord progression.

Starting from A
A B C# D E F# G#

A C# E = A major triad

Starting from B
A B C# D E F# G#

B D F# - B minor triad

Do that for every note, move 2 degrees up the scale, then 2 more, and you'll get these chords

Amaj Bmin C#min Dmaj Emaj F#min G#dim

those are the chords of the key A major, however the rule applies to the major and minor scale in any key.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 16, 2009,
Bloody hell who needs a teacher when i have you guys !

One last thing, say for example (still in the key of A here) i wanted to include an F# major and not the F# minor like you lot have pointed out, this wouldnt sound bad would it? It's still an F#......
It will sound different. Try it yourself and see! There's nothing stopping you. Following basic diatonic chords (chords that are only from the notes from the scale) is alright, but start mixing it up like you're suggesting and you'll really come up with some rockin' progressions!!
Quote by M_G
Bloody hell who needs a teacher when i have you guys !

One last thing, say for example (still in the key of A here) i wanted to include an F# major and not the F# minor like you lot have pointed out, this wouldnt sound bad would it? It's still an F#......

an F# minor and F# major are 2 very different chords. If everyone else in a band was playing the minor and you were playing the major then it would probably sound 'wrong' (unless that dissonance is a sound you want to create). If you are composing with it though then you can use either, you just have to be aware that they are different

analogy time imagine 2 sandwiches (f#) - one cheese (major) and one ham (minor). If a vegetarian came along and ate (played) the cheese sandwich (f# minor) and then you offered him a ham one (f# major), which he politely refused, you wouldn't then say "but it's still a sandwich..." This shouldn't stop you making sandwiches (composing) with both ham and cheese in them (minor and major) just be aware sometimes you may be at a jewish party (where major is not allowed) and your ham sandwich (f#major) may not be so well received (it sounds rubbish to you/your audience)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
Stacking thirds.

your scale is A B C# D E F# G#

Starting from A
A B C# D E F# G#

A C# D = A major triad

Just so someone doesn't get messed up, A Major triad is A C# E not D. I don't know if it was a typo or not, but I thought I should say something.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Look at who wrote the post. It was a typo :p

@doive: that was the most entertaining and creative analogy about music i've ever read
Yeah typo, i've been doing a lot of those lately - need to stop posting at retarded times
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by timeconsumer09
Look at who wrote the post. It was a typo :p

@doive: that was the most entertaining and creative analogy about music i've ever read

why thank you
random analogies seem to appear in my mind at 2am :p

also - sigged
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more