Went to GC today...

JSX is a pretty sweet amp. The cleans were not as good as I expected, I get the same cleans with my VK.. although admittingly the JSX was a slightly deeper clean. The Ultra channel has a ridiculous amount of GOOD gain, literally 3 was at metalcore. However, I found the Ultra to be a bit too compressed. The crunch channel was a bit better. It may have been the tubes, but I found this amp to be a bit harsh on the top-end, as well... I know the JSX is naturally bright, but it was VK-esque.

AC30... great amp. Gritty. Clean. Very dynamic. Great tone. ****ing loud.
I had a hard time finding a setting I did not enjoy to the fullest extent.

Peavey Vypyr... I am going to stop recommending them. They were okay, but I found them REALLY buzzy. I really could not find a setting I liked, other than clean. The amp confused me to hell, as it changed settings everytime I switched amp models; from decently quiet to incredibly loud (with Master volume at 1!).
It's got more depth than the Vox VT for metal, but for anything else (including hard rock).. I would go with the VT. I do think Peavey has the right idea with this amp series, though.. but it could be built upon.

Bugera 1990 Fuzzy as hell. Stopped playing within five minutes. May have been tubes, but eh.

Fender Supersonic... I don't really like Fender cleans, but this was pretty good. I enjoyed this amp's tone, even though I personally would not buy one. It had a lot of character compared to other amps... but I was playing it with a '52 Tele Thinline, so..

'52 Tele Thinline... made me realize that my Tele needs to have a varnished (whatever the clear coat on Fenders is) neck. It felt GREAT. The tone literally jumped off the guitar and into everything. Very smooth, yet retaining that Tele sound. If I had the money, I want one!

Schecter C-1+... it was okay. Felt comfortable, but lacked something. The knobs are put in an odd position compared to what I'm used to, so it was weird. I really tried to find a C-1 Elite, but they didn't have any

BOSS pedals... there was a tower of them, so I had to demo. I found every single distortion/overdrive completely horrendous. The modulations were pretty good, I didn't mind the chorus. The delay was different that I expected, but still pretty good. The boss tremolo made me realize I need to buy one.
I'd rather have something other than BOSS.

I found a guy who had a VK there... I mentioned to him the Wiki. He didn't seem interested, as he was the typical uber-br00talz Spider guy and was completely full of himself, but he may find it useful if he took my advice.
He still uses the VK 112 stock... with EHX tubes. For metal.
That's considered by most VKer's a FAIL.

I played some very nice acoustics, too... I love classical guitars, and NEED a 12-string steel string acoustic. I was surprised to find I like Dean acoustics. I played a Koa one, and it was a very earthy acoustic tone. I also played an Epiphone that was marked at $699 (do not remember model), and it was also a great tone, marginally better than the Koa even. The 12-string I played was a $900 Martin, and it was absolutely phenomenal... I'm not a fan of Martin strings, but this thing was what I imagine when I hear really good 12-string playing.

Well. Okay.
K, coo.

By the way, the first time I played a Vypyr, I was horrified. Especially since lot's of UG'ers recommend them.
stock jsx tubes are harsh sounding. a euro tube retube with kt77's or even the 6l6's make a world of difference in the low end. Also the treble and presence knob on the jsx is very touchy. You have to boost the mid on the amp as well to get a nice full sound. Clean wise, with the high gain input clean sounds like a vk. Low input with some high end taken out sounds much better, think a peavy classic.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I think my $100 Vypyr 15 is great for what it is. The dirt is grainy, but it's a very usable cheap practice amp. I wouldn't pay more money for the same tones and more wattage, although $200 for the 30 with the larger speaker and more stompbox FX still seems like a good deal. Just not my cup of tea.
Quote by fly135
I think my $100 Vypyr 15 is great for what it is. The dirt is grainy, but it's a very usable cheap practice amp. I wouldn't pay more money for the same tones and more wattage, although $200 for the 30 with the larger speaker and more stompbox FX still seems like a good deal. Just not my cup of tea.

I'll be honest, I still like mine.

The trick with the vypyr to get a good tone out of it is a new speaker, and very careful EQing. I have no idea why peavey uses the Blue marvel, but it's a piece of crap and has no bass at all. I compensated temporarily by boosting the bass.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
From my experience with VK's I completely disagree about the cleans sounding the same as the JSX. Then again I don't use stock tubes.
I have a huge fear if rays.
I loved the JSX I played. It has a pretty harsh high end, but on the Ultra Channel I find it fitting for an insanely good lead tone.

The Vypyr's all right, the VT is probably better for most things excluding metal as you said.

AC30 is just a jaw dropper.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Can you go more indepth with the AC30? Im gassing for one so hard, but im scared they sound actually sound like they do in all those demo videos. If you search up ac30 custom classic the first video that comes up just blows my mind everytime.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
It was probably just the stock speakers and tube that were making my slight nuances with the JSX. Aside from those, it seriously is a GREAT amp... the rock tones I got out of that were ridiculously awesome. I'd get one, if I had the money and a good 2x12.

I would get a Vypyr, if I was looking for convincing metal tones at $99 + tax.

Quote by dcdossett65
Can you go more indepth with the AC30? Im gassing for one so hard, but im scared they sound actually sound like they do in all those demo videos. If you search up ac30 custom classic the first video that comes up just blows my mind everytime.

I only played it for ten/fifteen minutes, due to time constraints...
I'll try.

I had never played the amp, so I was confused as to some of the channels and knobs. Once I got that settled, I started out on the 'normal' channel.
This channel was very clean, even with either volume pushed up a bit. The preamp gain did get a bit fuzzy (well, it had some... hair? very little boominess, but you could tell it was overdriving... it wasn't bad sounding), but that is how the amp is designed, right? By the way, this sounds great clean. It is that genuine Vox clean through-and-through. Nice round, bell-like cleans.
I didn't mess with the 'brilliance' and other switches, as I had no idea what they did. I assumed bright, and noticed that the tone did change slightly... honestly, I cannot remember the difference, but I was not upset with either setting.
On the 'top boost' channel, there was some nice overdrive. I got a good Beatles and the Kinks tones out of it, and even managed some Foo Fighters (not their exact tone, but eh). It had nice growl to it, even at lower volumes... I can only imagine how great it will sound at higher volumes.
A note on the effects and whatnot... the reverb was nice and full, sounded good with both overdrive and clean. I didn't mind the tremolo, although when I did mess with it, it sounded better than the Boss pedal I mentioned in the OP. I'm not really good with describing effects