I just recently bought an Marshall MG30dfx with my epiphine les paul but i cant seem to get the settings i would like. I also have a dunlop crybaby wah. I would like for a led zeppelin sound, metallica sound, van halen, or black sabbath. If anyone could help id really appreciate it. Thanks
get ready for the flames and the jokes....
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
hmm, you're gunna get 1millions people telling you to buy a new amp, but if it's all you've got, i would just make sure the contour knob is kept at 1'oclock, or OFF, if its all you've got, experiment, there hard to get good tones out of, but you could invest in a cheap low wattage tube amp and an OD like a bad monkey, it will help to no end.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.

Here TS ... you might need this

And your gonna have to deal with the amp... just hang in there til you can get a new one
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
that seems to be a common problem...

just play with the eq till you get something that doesn't suck
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I couldnt really afford much more than that so this little thing is all i got... and im a marshall man no matter how crappy the amps are....
Quote by Pageandhammet12
I couldnt really afford much more than that so this little thing is all i got... and im a marshall man no matter how crappy the amps are....

oh, man, i would stop talking if i were you, you're gonna get FLAMED!
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I have an Epi LP Prophecy with emg's and an MG50 that I don't use much anymore (using vox ad30 at the moment) However, my settings used to be basically this:

Gain: 3 o'clock
Bass: 12 o'clock' ish
Contour: 1 o'clock
Treble: 2 o'clock' ish

Volume/master whatever you prefer.

PS: The 30 watt vox is cheaper, far superior and louder. I would check it out.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
Quote by Pageandhammet12

Yeah, you are now screwed.
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
Quote by Pageandhammet12

You are not a "marshall man" if you even considered buying this amp. Just because you like guitarists that use Marshalls does not make you a "marshall man".

You are beyond help, my friend. That amp is terrible.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Just look forward to the day you get rid of it mate, mine's going and has been replaced and I couldn't be happier!

Anyway, the settings I used on it were pretty safe eq'ing but it sounded pretty good for the amp.
Bass: 4
Mids: 5.5
Treble: 7
(not in o'clock)
Rest is up to you
Also if you aren't in a position to get a new amp for a loong time, try a tube pedal, my blackstar squeezed a bit of life into my MG.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

lol
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by Pageandhammet12

I can see that as the by-line for their next ad in guitar world.

i get that it's what you could afford, and that's legit (except that with a little research you could've done better... whatever), but seriously man, don't say **** like this here. assholes like me will rip you apart... i'm just feeling rather benevolent today.
Try cranking it up to 11. Thats one more loud. It should do the trick.
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
I love these threads. Anyways good luck with the settings, I've been there.
Honestly, I like my MG. I needed a loud enough amp to play shows without having to spend too much money cuz I'm in middle school
FDD should make it sound good, I usually leave the knobs near the middle position.
Quote by Pageandhammet12

Who wants to bet TS has never played a legit Marshall?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
A buddy of mine has played on an MG series for awhile, yes in my opinion and every other guitar players opinion ever, this amp blows. =[ . But if its what you have, try a Line 6 POD. If your going to be dealing with that amp for awhile thats a solid way of handling it. If your not into that, try getting a good distortion pedal or overdrive and toss a BBE sonic stomp in the mix. It pretty hard getting diverse tones on the marshall MG series amps. The knobs on the amp aren't very effective. Thats all just my opinions in my experience with those amps. Im a line 6 guy myself.

But best of luck to you.
It seems like these threads are becoming just a bunch of replies saying "brace yourself for the flaming!", and the flaming barely comes.

TS, I suggest finding the cleanest basic tone you can, and getting something like a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2 for your distortion tone. I know from experience and clips that this does have a passable tone, and this pedal in particular has 3 different amps models to get your different sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vaS378--HA

Thats through an MG ^
Quote by The_Bosstone
Thats through an MG ^

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
You're a Marshall Man....
and I'm the Tooth Fairy.

kidding

anyway go with the Sansamp suggestion...the clean on the MG is kinda usable..er..somewhat..Either go with the sansamp or AMT Electronics pedals, they CAN make MGs sound decent.
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by Pageandhammet12
You definitely shouldn't have said that.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Pageandhammet12

Hmmmm I see.

What other amps, Marshall or otherwise have you played?
I had to play on a friend's MG for a while mine was in amp rehab, it isn't the best amp in the world but it is certainly possible to get a good sound from. It helps to have a boost pedal to beef up the signal. For me that was the biggest problem, that the tone tended to be a bit flimsy and lifeless, but a good boost pedal or light overdrive should help you out. Try not to rely to much on the digital onboard effects.

what is the point of flaming this or any other person? You could just as easily use the time it takes to write something condescending to write something constructive. Or don't waste your time at all.
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ
Quote by Pageandhammet12
I just recently bought an Marshall MG30dfx with my epiphine les paul but i cant seem to get the settings i would like. I also have a dunlop crybaby wah. I would like for a led zeppelin sound, metallica sound, van halen, or black sabbath. If anyone could help id really appreciate it. Thanks

Throw it off the roof of a very tall building?
Give it a nice soak in the tub?

Turn everything up to 11 for th3 Brutulz!!!
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by Pageandhammet12
im a marshall man no matter how crappy the amps are....

Your kidding right?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Pageandhammet12

Consumerism is a human condition. You are not alone.
Quote by Pageandhammet12

So basically, you love the fact that your MG says 'Marshall' on it, but hate the sound of it?

Hey, at least he admits it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^True That.

How long ago did you buy it? Return it or Craigslist it and grab something else. If it's not possible to do this, tweak it as much as you can until you find something decent to work with.
Quote by Pageandhammet12

ugh so you bought a crappy amp knowing that it was crap and now your begging us for settings
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom