hey all i have noticed that a lot of the great technical players i like play a right handed guitar but are lefties so what do u guys think about trying a lefty guitar when im right handed? shawn lane, dave kilminster, MAB are all lefties hmmm? maybe worth a try? do u think there is any advantage to it?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
couldn't hurt to use it to practice, especially if you want to do 8 finger tapping. but there is really no point in converting to a full-time lefty.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by crohno
i think it's pretty stupid.

why? surely using your dominant hand as your fretting hand, which tends to do the more complex job actually makes more sense? if shawn lane did it surely its worth a try
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
To play well both of your hands have to be in perfect sync with eachother, which one is the 'dominant' one is irrelevant.
Quote by lwayneio
hey all i have noticed that a lot of the great technical players i like play a right handed guitar but are lefties so what do u guys think about trying a lefty guitar when im right handed? shawn lane, dave kilminster, MAB are all lefties hmmm? maybe worth a try? do u think there is any advantage to it?

the only advantage would be that you could play left handed. i dont see the point. are you saying you want to play left handed all the time? are you playing right handed now? i guess if you did both you could do the two guitar stuff that MAB does. to me, it seems like a lot of work for something thats pretty much pointless.
It's whatever way you feel comfortable playing. I learnt left-handed about 18 years ago when I played for about a year. I recently started playing again. I started with a right-handed guitar and tried to play right-handed so I didn't have to worry about finding a left-handed guitar, but I couldn't. I restrung it upside down to a lefty for a while until I got myself a left-handed guitar finally. If you're already playing right handed, I don't think you would want to switch now. Even with 18 years in between picking up a guitar, I couldn't switch. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
I didn't know Shawn was a lefty. Interesting, To me it makes more sense to use your best hand on the fretting, I try and feel like a noob.
just remember left guitars are harder to come by and more expensive
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by lwayneio

If I had to guess, I'd say it was most likely down to what kind of guitar those guys could get their hands on when they were young and starting out. Bearing in mind, that lefty guitars are more expensive and there are less choices.
it's an idiotic idea.

those guys are all good because they practice their bollocks off, it's got sod all to do with the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
it's an idiotic idea.

those guys are all good because they practice their bollocks off, it's got sod all to do with the guitar.

I realise they all practiced hard im just saying does anyone think using your dominant hand as the fretboard hand would be better?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
No, it wouldn't make much of a difference. Look at Hendrix, he's a lefty who played lefty and he was a beast at guitar.

Like Seagull said, those people you mentioned just practiced their asses off.
MAB was a lefty but he originally learned to play as a righty because he couldn't find any left handed guitars.

It would not make a difference. Just pick a way and stick to it, then IF you master it as a righty, attempt to learn how to play as a lefty.

Have to ask yourself, would you rather spend your time practicing one way and getting great at it, or practicing both ways and just being decent.
Quote by lwayneio
why? surely using your dominant hand as your fretting hand, which tends to do the more complex job actually makes more sense? if shawn lane did it surely its worth a try

Nah dude, there's a reason that we use the dominant hand as the picking hand. It actually takes more control, even though on first assessment it may appear to be the other way around. If you're right handed, getting your right hand to fret notes isn't that difficult, but try strumming or picking with your left - very difficult indeed.

I would strongly discourage you from trying to learn this way. There is certainly no inherent benefit to playing lefty over righty.
I would say its pointless to switch now. but if you get your hands on lefty guitar, play it righty and try strumming some upside down chords. if you know how to make up chords you'll notice all the stuff you can do with bar chords in this upside down tuning. its good to use your brain in new ways but not have to learn an instrument twice.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
I didn't think Shawn Lane was a lefty turned right handed guitarist, but stick with what is natural. It makes sense to learn from the beginning to play right handed if you are lefty and can't find a lefty guitar, but there is certainly no such advantage learning to play lefty. It would also mean you would have to either buy a lefty guitar or convert one of your guitars you already own. Sounds like a waste of time and money to me.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Don't, it is a pain being a lefty. I wish i was a righty, it is rediculous looking for guitars.
Quote by Beserker
Nah dude, there's a reason that we use the dominant hand as the picking hand. It actually takes more control, even though on first assessment it may appear to be the other way around. If you're right handed, getting your right hand to fret notes isn't that difficult, but try strumming or picking with your left - very difficult indeed.

To add to what this gentleman is saying, think about which hand has more control of the variety of sounds the instrument is making. Sure, you can practive legato techniques with your (in this case) left hand, but your right hand is almost solely responsible for Tone, Attack, Feel and the general pronunciation of notes. Neither are more important than the other, but the pickinghand is arguably more crucial in the playing of notes.
look at Michael Angelo Batio though, if you can master both right and left handed playing, you can do both at the same time!
Quote by muckypup
look at Michael Angelo Batio though, if you can master both right and left handed playing, you can do both at the same time!

To me it is pointless to learn how to play using the other hand when a good 98% of us on herer haven't even master the guitar with our dominant hands.
don't
I'm a leftie and tried playing left handed 9my practising was always done right handed) and it really doesn't help, trust me, I learned from experience
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Quote by muckypup

But MAB isn't doing ''Both'' at the same time though...hes doing exactly the same thing at the same time. Its flashy for sure, but the movements he's doing are exactly the same for each hand, just mirrored.
Just do whatever you're comfortable with. Those guys most likely played like that because right handed guitars are far easier to come by than left handed.
Quote by lwayneio

Shawn Lane was also fat, does that mean it's worth a try getting fat? He wasn't a good guitarist because he played a righty, he was a good guitarist because he practiced his arse off.
he was fat because he had some kind of arthritis condition since he was 13, he had to take all these steroids that would let him play but them made him get fat.
Quote by Forkman

Shawn Lane was also fat, does that mean it's worth a try getting fat? He wasn't a good guitarist because he played a righty, he was a good guitarist because he practiced his arse off.

so is yngwie malmsteen and michael romeo
coincidence?
I THINK NOT
Quote by Forkman
Just do whatever you're comfortable with. Those guys most likely played like that because right handed guitars are far easier to come by than left handed.

lol yeh i kinda see what you mean, and yeh i know shawn lane wasnt good just because of this, but say if i was just taping my fingers on a table from my 1st finger to the 4th and back again i can do it way faster with my dominant hand. Is that a hand strength thing or a brain hemisphere thing?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by WishfulShredder
so is yngwie malmsteen and michael romeo
coincidence?
I THINK NOT

*starts eating donuts furiously*
I'm left-handed, and play lefty guitars- Have to say, it's probably personal preference. I never tried playing the other way round until I was a good year into guitar, and I can't do anything (literally, I feel like a fish out of water playing right-handed guitars the right way up). If you really want to try it, I'll tell you now that it'll be a lot of work. You're basically reversing your muscle memory.

Also, what several chaps've already said- All these lefties playing right-handed got good by practising like there's no tomorrow...
Quote by muckypup

But then if you actually pulled it off, you'd have to find a double-neck guitar like his, which would most likely cost a lot of money, and then after all that trouble, everybody would just consider you a MAB copycat.

Doesn't sound like it's worth it to me.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.