I was just wondering if people could tell me why they do or don't like the guy's music.
I just can't get into it. There were parts of Amazing Grace (?) that I liked but I just overall don't like his music.
Hopefully people giving me their reasons will help me see him in a new light but I just don't get it. He plays fast but it sounds like a mess to me.

I don't want people just saying things about his attitude and how he puts heart into it. I want to hear reasons for liking the MUSIC.

I can appreciate the genre in general although not what I usually listen to.
i wouldnt like sit down and listen to it and be like yea man this is a good ****in song...
its more of a holy **** this guy has got some crazy talent, thats my opinion on it
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Listen to the song Sinister Minister
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
He's a YouTube artist if you ask me- I usually just watch his stuff on YouTube for its show value and entertainment.

Now, I'm not saying he's a bad musician- Victor Wooten is incredible both in terms of what he plays, how he plays, what / how he writes his music, etc. Palmystery has some incredible instances of polyrhythms and incredible technique, as well as awesome songwriting. I just don't really like his music that much. I'm not into it as much as I am, say, Zeppelin.
I think a lot of people dont like him because they dont have enough experience with classical music to be able to fully appreciate what he does
I think most people don't like him because they just see the videos of him doing crazy stuff on youtube and they think that's what he's about. But the man is a great band bassist, and has one of the deepest pockets around. His philosophies on life and music are also really worth checking out.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
I'm not really interested in listening to solo instruments. I'll go watch him on Youtube and respect just how amazing his playing is but I could never drive with a Victor Wooten CD on.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
There are parts I like and parts I don't.
I like how he innovated the bass, and I like his like ideas and stuff, the book he wrote was killer.
But his music seems kinda show-off-y at times.
Its kinda both for me.
Most people know nothing when they talk about Wooten they see a video of him wanking and think they have heard it all, go listen to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, he is amazing in there.
Or listen to more of his songs, songs like More Love, Overjoyed, Ari's Eyes.
Seriously, have any of of you listened to his album Soul Circus? So good. Palmystery is great also - his rendition of Horace Silver's Song For My Father blows my mind. And speaking of ridiculous jazz tunes, Left, Right and Center is a furiously paced song that makes me think of a duet between Bird and Diz Gillespie if they were both on bass... furious bop.
Last edited by aguacateojos at Jul 16, 2009,
Yeah, when people say he's too show-offy it shows me right away that they have no clue what they're talking about.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
If you think he is too showy then you haven't listened to an album of his. Such variety and range that you chances are songs in there won't be your thing but it will have ones you'll love. Soul Circus and What Did He Say? are good examples of this.

Check him with Bela Fleck to see what he normally does.
Quite likes Corrine Bailey Rae's new album Don't hurt me.
ah following the crowd..
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Its deffo all about Bella Fleck and the Flecktones
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Oli-The-Strange

Check him with Bela Fleck to see what he normally does.

QFT

He's a fantastic player in the context of a band. Most people just go Youtube some double-thump wank and assume all of Victor's music is like that, when most of it isn't.

Check out Bela Fleck's stuff to watch Vic at work as an accompanist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXHOyqHzupk&feature=channel_page
Quote by CurbstompBass
QFT

He's a fantastic player in the context of a band. Most people just go Youtube some double-thump wank and assume all of Victor's music is like that, when most of it isn't.

Check out Bela Fleck's stuff to watch Vic at work as an accompanist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXHOyqHzupk&feature=channel_page

I love that song, it inspired me to take up the banjo a couple years back.

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by Uber Man
well. while i respect the amount of skill it would take to make the sound he does. the sound is just... just awful.

+1

I watched CurbstompBass' video and really enjoyed it ... it was probably the first time i had really heard a banjo and a steelpan (correct?) solo but it was pretty sweet the whole time and the dual solo around 4 minutes.

I also then watched Lollage123's and Spaz91's and quickly decided that i dont like the sound that a fast double thumb creates ... or any of the other fast as hell stuff he does. Its impressive that he can do it, but i still wouldnt really listen to it.

However, i love his lessons. Exercises 1 and 2 on bass player tv really helped with my timing with and a bit more without a drummer.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."