Alright, last year for my birthday I finally convinced relatives to send small sums of money. The result of this was a Behringer 4x12 cab and a Behringer V-Amp LX1200H head.

My problem is that after 6 months of playing on it, I've grown to HATE the sound that comes from that head unit. It just sounds really digital to me, and I have to go above and beyond to get it to tolerate my pedalboard. And no matter how I adjust the settings it just sounds too processed to me.

My questions are:

1) The cabinet (Behringer BG412F "UltraStack") is 400 watts. What does this mean? Does the head unit have to have a certain wattage to run through it? (The V-Amp is a 120 watt head)

2) I'm looking for a tube amp head, would that be able to run through the cab?

3) I also have a Fender Champ 1x12 that I use for bedroom practice. Could I be really lazy and use the cab as extension speakers from the Fender?

Since I know many MANY people ask what other stuff I'm using, I'll go ahead and provide the full list...

- Schecter Omen-6 with an SD Invader in the bridge
- BOSS Noise Suppressor, Metal Zone, Compression Sustainer, and Phase Shifter
- Ibanez Weeping Demon wah, TS7 TubeScreamer

Any recommendations, comments, and answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: And my price range is under $1000 for a head unit.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Check out Bugera's line of amps, great bang for your buck and the 09 models have even better components than the original run.

Other than that, look used at Marshall's, Peavey 5150/6505, B-52 AT100, etc.

I'm not sure what genre's you like to play, but the Bugera's are probably gonna be the most versatile of the amps I listed, not to sound like a fanboy.

Edit//

Answers to questions

1) No, the wattage of the cab is merely the maximum power handling of the cabinet.

2) Yes, tube and solid state heads do not need different cabs.

3) Yes you could run the fender through your cab if it has an external speaker jack or a removable speaker input.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Last edited by bite_the_bullet at Jul 15, 2009,
What genre? Nearest City?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I play mostly metal, but I also like to move around in genres. I've experimented with blues, jazz, prog stuff, and most other non-"-core" genres. Even techno, just for giggles.

EDIT: Currently living in Houston, for what it's worth?

Currently trolling local Craigslist already. xD
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

1. 400watts means it can handle a head up to 400w with out being at risk to blow a speaker
2. yes
3. as long as it has a speaker output
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Your cab can handle 400 watts. thats what it means, it doesnt impact your sound.
Thus the that you eventually buy has to be less than 400 watts or it will blow your speakers. But why anyone would buy a 400 watts head i have no idea. Theres just no point!!
What head you buy really depends on the sound youre looking for if you want the Chimy cleans go for a Vox or if you want shimmering cutting clean then go for a fender.
But by the looks of your set up you play metal so maybe like a JCM 800/900/2000 You can get them under 1000.
peace
"3. as long as it has a speaker output"\
not exactly you can run a lead from the head into the input of the Fender and it will work. But it might be really bad for the amp, not sure.
Look at a Peavey 6505+. Some really thick gain on tap with an alright clean channel.

Quote by justinb904
1. 400watts means it can handle a head up to 400w with out being at risk to blow a speaker

That's just before it starts breaking up. It can handle closer to 800W before blowing. If you somehow could run an 400W tube head and crank it, the speakers would give a nice little clipping. Yummy.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by futsalman
"3. as long as it has a speaker output"\
not exactly you can run a lead from the head into the input of the Fender and it will work. But it might be really bad for the amp, not sure.

He wants to run the fender into the cab, not the head into the fender.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Alright, another stupid question.

I'm just browsing through Musicians Friend and I keep seeing these tiny 20w tube head units. Would they work? If I had more cash I'd be looking at ENGL, but...oh well.