Page 1 of 2
Well i got my first all-tube amplifier today. After six months of waiting to find a deal like this, i finally found a Randall RM80 with the Ultra Lead and Clean modules for $570!

But when i got it home and plugged everything in, it was very anticlimactic. I turned it on and put it in "standby" like i'm supposed to and let it warm up for like a minute or two.

Well i waited long enough and flipped it to the "play" position and let out a nice Em chord and............................SILENCE!!!!!!!!!

I was very disappointed; i was expecting the most beautiful sound ever, but all i got was the sound of silence. Well i look behind the amp and the "tube failure" light was on! I was like "damn!"

Then i turned it off and let the tubes cool down. A few minutes later i took them out and put them in a plastic bag. BTW, how do i dispose of bad tubes??

Well that was my NAD. But despite all that, it still makes my old spider look like a POS (although it does a great job of that on its own).

I'll post some pics in my next post b/c i don't want to make this one too big.

Thanks, John.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 17, 2009,
Happy new amp day, but it sucks that your amp's tubes blew.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

My rig:

Front:

Back:

Front Panel, Left:

Front Panel, Right:

Back Panel, Left:

Back Panel, Right:

Old Power Tubes:

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
blue tubes, never heard of this
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Happy new amp day, but it sucks that your amp's tubes blew.

Thanks. I'm not sure if they blew or where already bad, but nonetheless, i can't play it. The seller said it might need new tubes anyway. I guess he was right. But i was hoping to get at least a few minutes out of it. They are EL-34's and i've heard some bad things about them lately.

Next post: Modules! I have four: 1087, Blackface, Clean, and Ultra Lead.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by viper_mike
blue tubes, never heard of this

idk. maybe i read wrong. all i know they were a dim orange and the "tube failure" light was on.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Ultra Lead Gut Shot:

Clean Gut Shot:

Blackface Gut Shot:

1087 Gut Shot:

--Einstein

--Einstein
Never knew they made combos, sweet. Looks like a super reverb kinda thing.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Never knew they made combos, sweet. Looks like a super reverb kinda thing.

Ya, they make combo versions of all the heads. Except this one is the only combo that didn't have a head counterpart. They also don't make it anymore. So i got a great deal. The Ultra Lead and that particular Clean model aren't made anymore and are hard to find. i'm probably going to get them mod'd when i get the money. But right now i just need some tubes so i can actually hear it.

But it is nice to look at. Really nice design. I really like the silver grill cloth.

EDIT: I have a few questions:

How do i dispose of the old tubes?

Should i replace the fuse in the back, and if so, with what: 250mV or 500mV?

What tubes should i go with: JJ 6L6's, Ruby 6L6's, or other? Anyone ever use 6V6's in it (or the RM50)? is it possible? if so, what should i bias them to? 19mV?

Would the ISP Decimator be better in the chain or series FX loop?

Anything else i should be aware of, seeing as how this is my first tube amp?

Thanks, John.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 15, 2009,
Didn't you try it first?

Cool either way, but tubes will glow orange, yellow and blue.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Didn't you try it first?

Cool either way, but tubes will glow orange, yellow and blue.

did i try what first?
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
did i try what first?

The amp... you bought an amp with dead tubes?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The amp... you bought an amp with dead tubes?

well i bought if off craigslist from someone in Bloomington, Indiana. I'm in Melbourne, Florida. I couldn't really try it out. But he sent me some great pics of it (on my profile page under general). He said that the tubes might need to be replaced b/c it was really really quiet. So i was going to replace them anyway. I was hoping they would at least last a few minutes so i could hear it. O well; i will order some tomorrow and hopefully have them b4 this weekend.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Tubes glowing orange is perfectly normal.

And you dispose of them by putting them in the bin, which you then leave outside your house, and some lovely men will come and take it away for you.

The Wonders Of Modern Technology By timi_hendrix: Every Thursday, 3:34am, right here on the UG channel.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
In an amp like that go with JJ's. I'm a NOS man myself but with modern metal amps I run JJ's. Make sure you get them biased before sticking them in there!

cheers and Nappy Hew Dear Gay!
Quote by twistudriffer
In an amp like that go with JJ's. I'm a NOS man myself but with modern metal amps I run JJ's. Make sure you get them biased before sticking them in there!

cheers and Nappy Hew Dear Gay!

Thanks. I would like to try some NOS tubes, but i'm on a tight budget, esp. after this buy. i will probably go with JJ's. i just need to know if i can use 6V6's or not.

and i feel like a moron. in fact, i am a moron, b/c i forgot to plug in the speakers!!!!!!!

that is why it was silent!! the light being on was either the tubes or the fuses. but considering the fact that the tubes where glowing, it was probably the fuses. but i'll switch the tubes anyway.

someone on the MTS forum pointed that out. i feel so stupid.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Orange and blue are good. Red is bad. Were the fuses in right? If the fuse is turned (horizontal) then that will make the amp not work. check those fuses before throwing away those tubes.

EDIT: Yeeeahhh... you need that speaker load

And according to the manual, yes, you can use 6V6's. Just use JJ's though.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Ah, okay, I'd look into the 6V6 thing a bit more. the manual doesn't mention them, apparently, but I know you can use them.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Orange and blue are good. Red is bad. Were the fuses in right? If the fuse is turned (horizontal) then that will make the amp not work. check those fuses before throwing away those tubes.

EDIT: Yeeeahhh... you need that speaker load

And according to the manual, yes, you can use 6V6's. Just use JJ's though.

thanks. i don't remember seeing 6V6's in the manual. only 6l6's, el34's, e34l's, and 6550's. but if you say so.

ya, the fuse part is turned horizontal. do i need to turn it vertical?

i still think replacing the tubes and fuses is my best bet. the seller said himself that the tubes would need to be replaced soon.

Thanks, John.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Whoah dude, you were dancing with the devil for a minute.

Playing a tube amp without a speaker load can cause a lot of problems.

Let's hope it's OK because it looks awesome.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Whoah dude, you were dancing with the devil for a minute.

Playing a tube amp without a speaker load can cause a lot of problems.

Let's hope it's OK because it looks awesome.

it was only like that for a few minutes (a minute or two in standby and a minute or two in play). it wasn't like i was trying to fiddle with it like that for an hour. it should be fine, right?
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
thanks. i don't remember seeing 6V6's in the manual. only 6l6's, el34's, e34l's, and 6550's. but if you say so.

ya, the fuse part is turned horizontal. do i need to turn it vertical?

i still think replacing the tubes and fuses is my best bet. the seller said himself that the tubes would need to be replaced soon.

Thanks, John.

Yeah, put the tubes back in, push the cap in and turn it vertical. The light should turn off and you should be able to use the amp. Just bias the tubes after putting the fuses back in

And yes about the speaker load.

And yes, JJ 6V6's are made to run at those plate voltages, but I don't know what MV to bias them to.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Yeah, put the tubes back in, push the cap in and turn it vertical. The light should turn off and you should be able to use the amp. Just bias the tubes after putting the fuses back in

And yes about the speaker load.

And yes, JJ 6V6's are made to run at those plate voltages, but I don't know what MV to bias them to.

alright, thanks. i don't have a voltmeter, so i will have to wait. but i think i'll get the fuses and tubes anyway just so i have a fresh start.

i feel so stupid about the speaker thing

And is it true the 6V6's will make it get less wattage?? b/c 50W may be a little overkill for what i need it for. i heard on the MTS forum to put it at 19mV. i guess i'll try that.

Thanks, John.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Yeah, 6V6's and EL84's will lower your wattage, 6550's and KT88's will raise it (a duet of 6550's is 100 watts, a quad is 200 watts. Duet of 6V6's is about 25-ish watts, quad is about 50.)

You can always plug everything in and try it out for a minute, but a voltmeter (less than $20 from Radio Shack will work) is recommended.

Stupid name.

Quote by JKMV11
it was only like that for a few minutes (a minute or two in standby and a minute or two in play). it wasn't like i was trying to fiddle with it like that for an hour. it should be fine, right?

The time standby shouldn't matter since there's no signal to the speaker but I don't know about having it on while it's not attached to a speaker...

...it's probably OK but I wouldn't do it again. As long as you didn't hear any sizzling or see/smell any smoke then I'd say you're safe.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Shinozoku
Yeah, 6V6's and EL84's will lower your wattage, 6550's and KT88's will raise it (a duet of 6550's is 100 watts, a quad is 200 watts. Duet of 6V6's is about 25-ish watts, quad is about 50.)

You can always plug everything in and try it out for a minute, but a voltmeter (less than $20 from Radio Shack will work) is recommended.

so maybe 6V6's will be better for me.

and i think with this amp, 6550's are closer to 80W, b/c it comes stock with them as an 80W amp, but i guess its not much different.

my dad has a voltmeter at his work; i will ask him to bring it home on friday when the new tubes get here.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by dudetheman
The time standby shouldn't matter since there's no signal to the speaker but I don't know about having it on while it's not attached to a speaker...

...it's probably OK but I wouldn't do it again. As long as you didn't hear any sizzling or see/smell any smoke then I'd say you're safe.

i wont do it again. it was just an ephemeral moment of stupidity.

ya, all i heard was the sound of silence. i don't think i smelt anything. it should be fine.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by JKMV11
so maybe 6V6's will be better for me.

and i think with this amp, 6550's are closer to 80W, b/c it comes stock with them as an 80W amp, but i guess its not much different.

my dad has a voltmeter at his work; i will ask him to bring it home on friday when the new tubes get here.

Awesome Does it have DC volts or DC mV? mV would be more accurate.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Awesome Does it have DC volts or DC mV? mV would be more accurate.

idk. i'm sure it is a really nice one. he is a auto mechanic, so he should have a pretty good one. i will be sure to look for that.

Thanks, John.
--Einstein

--Einstein
He probably has a $300 Fluke then Killer.

Stupid name.

Well i just tried the amp again, with the speakers in and after adjusting the fuses, and the light still came on. I heard a very faint sound that was only audible when both the module and master volumes were full blast. So i am just going to get some new tubes and fuses.

I am probably going to get them off of "the tube depot." Anyone have any experience with them? How fast is shipping? I would go with "the tube store" or "doug's tubes" but they are more expensive. But i need the tubes to get here in like 1-2 days. Any ideas?

Edit: I am also thinking about adding a reverb tank like in the RM50. I found four on "the tube depot." Which one would be better? Would a reverb tank be better than a reverb pedal? How would i put it in the amp? do i need to mount it? can i use regular instrument cables to connect it to the loop?

http://www.tubedepot.com/reverb.html

Thanks, John.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 16, 2009,
Damn, thats a great deal. The amp and 4 modules for less than $600? Jeeze...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Damn, thats a great deal. The amp and 4 modules for less than $600? Jeeze...

Well amp and four modules for $970 (the blackface was $130 and the 1087 was $270). But still, retail for that is like $2310!! And really, the amp and modules that came with it aren't even sold anymore, so i got a great deal. I just need some tubes and i'll be fine.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Interesting. HNAD

I hope you get everything sorted. Tubedepot will work. Not sure how to add a reverb pan I would think there would be some extensive modding to the circuit board. Just use a reverb pedal. Hell I use a delay pedal for reverb

Congrats man, I hope everything works out.
I would use a good reverb pedal, but people mount tanks in their RMs quite a bit. Search around on the forum and look for the mods.

Good luck with the new tubes Make sure you bias them properly (don't go to like, TWICE the recommended mV rating like some people do... Seriously, EL34's at 90mV?!?!)

Stupid name.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Interesting. HNAD

I hope you get everything sorted. Tubedepot will work. Not sure how to add a reverb pan I would think there would be some extensive modding to the circuit board. Just use a reverb pedal. Hell I use a delay pedal for reverb

Congrats man, I hope everything works out.

Thanks. I think with the reverb, i should be able to just run it through the parallel FX loop; thats how its set up on the RM50. But your probably right; i'll just go with the reverb and/or delay pedals.

Tubes coming today! along with the fuses.

But what sucks is one of the allen screws on my FR bridge came loose so now i have to wait till my dad can bring home his allen wrench set so i can fix it. Of all the allen wrenches we have in this house, we don't even have a 2.5 mm! And the place where i bought the guitar didn't even give me one, nor did they give me a tool to adjust the truss rod (which i really need b/c the neck is bowing back). all they gave me was a 3mm allen wrench for the nut and bridge. nothing else.

So now i may not get to play the amp till late tonight or tomorrow (i got it last wed. and still haven't heard it ).

And b/c of all this, idk what else might be wrong with the amp. i could still need new preamp tubes, or worse. I may have to take it to a tech. And i there aren't any Randall dealers around here who work with these amps. So if something goes wrong with it, i may be screwed. But i'll find a way to cross that road if it comes.

But i guess the good thing is that i have it and i will never have to play my old spider ever again.

EDIT: Ya, i will be sure to bias them to the correct level. I don't want to risk the well being of my amp. I don't want to have to brush the dust of off the spider in the off chance the RM80 fails.

I got the JJ 6V6's. They should let me turn it up to a decent level without being too loud. I also got some 500mA fuses. So i think i'm set (except for the guitar going out of wack). I guess thats what happens when i try to set it up myself for the first time; next time i will be more cautious.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 20, 2009,
Page 1 of 2