I have yet to own an Epiphone, so I decided to buy an Epiphone G-400 SG. I played one at my local GC, and for how cheap it was, I liked the feel, the shape, and the weight, although I don't like neck heavy axes. I couldn't find a decent amp that wasn't being used to run it through, so I used a Raven RG60. I did like the sound for the most part, but I don't think I like the pickups, so I'm going to exchange them for some Dirty Fingers or some SD's. Anyway, are these constructed well? Are they very durable? What are your experiences with them? It costs me half as much in gas to get to the GC as the guitar itself, so I'd like to know more if possible. Thanks.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

With your rig why would you want an epiphone? i mean they are awesome guitars, al around the same size as their gibson counterparts (same size neck as well from the SGs i've played).
But why not just get a Gibson SG? It seems like getting the epi is like taking a step back for you.
I've had mine for a few weeks, and I think it's a very solid guitar, especially for the price. The stock pickups are very good, and I don't see any need to change them. Putting Gibsons in there would be pretty pricy too, but your choice.

Btw, which model are you planning on getting?

Also, the neck-heaviness isn't really a problem, you just need to get used to it. And buying a nice leather strap would make the problem non-existent, but you don't necessarily need leather.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Royal_Brick at Jul 15, 2009,
They are very durable.. I have only had one problem with mine and that was the action.. which was fixed simply by lowering it to my preference. I like the neck on mine but the ones in the stores are different on them nowadays and i hate them. And IMO Dirty fingers would be amazing into it... but the stock pups are just fine as are.

EDIT: and no matter what anyone says... Epiphones ARE good quality guitars.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jul 15, 2009,
it's a great ****ing guitar, I absolutely love it. but, judging by your other gear, i agree with siverstorm. i still recommend it though
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I mean if you do decide to go for it, I've heard lots of good about the dirty fingers

OR you can get the Gibson pups that come in the Gibson SG standard

I still wanna know why.
I have an Epi G-400 with 2 Dirty Fingers that I'm in the process of getting rid of. The neck dive is terrible and that's the main problem. It also sucks compared to my other guitars. But the neck pickup does have one of the most aggressive tones from a guitar I've ever heard. I don't even use the bridge pickup. I don't think there's any reason to buy an Epi when you have all those other great guitars.
Quote by CaparisonCore
I have yet to own an Epiphone, so I decided to buy an Epiphone G-400 SG. I played one at my local GC, and for how cheap it was, I liked the feel, the shape, and the weight, although I don't like neck heavy axes. I couldn't find a decent amp that wasn't being used to run it through, so I used a Raven RG60. I did like the sound for the most part, but I don't think I like the pickups, so I'm going to exchange them for some Dirty Fingers or some SD's. Anyway, are these constructed well? Are they very durable? What are your experiences with them? It costs me half as much in gas to get to the GC as the guitar itself, so I'd like to know more if possible. Thanks.
All I got out of this thread was...

You want an Epiphone, you went to try a G400, but through a Raven, you really have no clue what it really sounds like but you don't like the pickups?

I would pass on it. I also intensely dislike Epihpone SGs, something about them just makes them feel like toys.
I love how solid my G-400 feels. It's a pretty decent guitar, especially for the price.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
I love how solid my G-400 feels. It's a pretty decent guitar, especially for the price.

Exactly, that's all it has going for it. Epiphones aren't meant to be good. If they were that good, Gibson would be out of business. Just look at the Epiphone Elitists. They stopped making them because they were great. This guy's other guitars cost at least twice as much, some even 5 times as much. He already has a Gibson. Doing that is like going from an American Strat to a Squire.
Quote by siverstorm
With your rig why would you want an epiphone? i mean they are awesome guitars, al around the same size as their gibson counterparts (same size neck as well from the SGs i've played).
But why not just get a Gibson SG? It seems like getting the epi is like taking a step back for you.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Lots of work.

Anyway, I wanted something of decent quality, but still something I could beat around. I had an Ibanez RG370DX, which was my beater guitar, but it's officially destroyed and I didn't like it that much anyway. I've also never owned an Epiphone which is the main reason I wanted it. I've never owned an Epiphone or a Dean...Well I've owned a Dean, but I'd never played it. Bought it and sold it a week later. So, that's my main reason. I've also never owned a Gibson SG, and I thought about that a lot after you mentioned it, but I don't wanna spend $1,200 even though they just went down, 'cause I'm buying an Ibanez Jem soon, so I'm officially broke.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

OHHHH so this is just your "imma screw around now" guitar?
Well then if you have the money i guess theres no harm...
It's still a lil weird though considering what you already have
Oh, I know. I'm gonna buy my first Dean soon, and it'll probably be a cheap-o too to see if I like 'em. Then, I buy the higher-end ones. It's how I work :P
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by JayT44
They are very durable..

you can say that again - i have 2 1990s epiphones which are still going strong, and my '04 which i bought brand new is just in need of a setup, but thats due to some heavy modding
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by JELIFISH19
Exactly, that's all it has going for it. Epiphones aren't meant to be good. If they were that good, Gibson would be out of business. Just look at the Epiphone Elitists. They stopped making them because they were great. This guy's other guitars cost at least twice as much, some even 5 times as much. He already has a Gibson. Doing that is like going from an American Strat to a Squire.

lol wut.
you kids crack me up. he can buy an epiphone if he wants. free trade is beautiful.
no reason for so many of you to get your feathers ruffled because he bought one lol.
Quote by JELIFISH19

Sometimes people just want a cheapo guitar, even people who have good guitars already.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I have a g400 and its a great guitar considering what you pay. Play the one your buying before you actually buy it though, they can be hit or miss. Mine has some intonation problems which I can't fix but other than that, its a great guitar for $300.

The pickups are decent at best sadly. Mine picks up the sound of my mom running the vacuum cleaner downstairs. Id go with some Seymour Duncans.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Use your sexy ass Gibson Flying V that I wish I had with the gold frets and hardware and brimstone burst flamed maple with the cool inlays and headstock as ur beater guitar. It might just get sexier if it's worn like other Gibsons. I may be incredibly wrong though.