I really want to get into Berklee college of Music and was curious what you guys would recommend learning/practicing to get myself ready for it. thanks
become very well learned in jazz and/or classical music, and prepare a hella good audition piece
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Everything.

They will not accept you unless you can pass standard Harmony I-IV

Get a theory book
learn it.

Know your scales, all of them.

...unfortunately, I'm not kidding.

However, if you don't mind me just saying...

Berklee is just a name.
You will get the same education (for much cheaper) at other Universities.

It's the same as buying a Gibson or a Fender.

You have bragging rights for the name, but you can get the same damn thing for much less.

It's like a school here in Pittsburgh, Duquesne.

Famous for their music program...only because they have the best ****.
They have the best **** because Fender gives them millions of dollars for their music department every year because a bigwig in Fender is an alumni.

Students at Duquesne University are learning the same **** I am at Seton Hill University.
who are learning the same as at Slippery Rock University.....or are learning the same at IUP...

you get the idea.

(not that my school is cheap.... I just like it....)

But back to the seriouness of how to get it, you really do need to go far above and beyond, because they have the name and "bragging rights" they only take the best.

if you still really have a desire to go there eventually let me know and I'll actually prepare you a list of everything you'll need to know (I have a professor who I'm very close to who went there, I'll ask him.

but just for the record, he varified how much of a waste the school really is. Yes, it's Berklee, yes it's well known. but there is more hype than what they give you, and you give them more money than there is hype)
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Last edited by NaivexLi at Jul 15, 2009,
Really. Music theory is music theory. C Major has 0 sharps or flats at Berklee as well as every other school you go to. You should probably look up online or call them or something if you really want to know what they are looking for.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Quote by NaivexLi
Everything.

They will not accept you unless you can pass standard Harmony I-IV

Get a theory book
learn it.

Know your scales, all of them.

whats standard Harmony I-IV?
berklee is a waste of money. if you want a quality music education and the same connections, go to umass lowell
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
No there is no theory test to get into Berklee. That is what you will be studying once you get in. I would dive into playing jazz. For your audition I would play what you are most comfortable with. Remember the audition is your chance to show them your best stuff so if you can blow them away with a particular style then go with that. Even though when it comes down to it Berklee is still 90% a jazz school and that is what you will be studying 90% of the time while you are there. I agree you can get just as good of an education elsewhere, for much cheaper.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
I'm guessing Berklee auditions are like most other music schools now so you'll need to focus a lot on sight reading. Tons, tons, tons

Also to the guy who thinks Berklee harmony is the same as any regular university has never compared the texts. Berklee has their own unique version to approaching the harmonic analysis of songs.
Tab is a no-no in the music schools so you better learn how to read and understand the staff and time signatures.

Also better know everysingle note on the fret board.
Also... a music school is not just another music school.

That would be like saying Harvard is a waste of money, just go to a cheaper school to get the same education. The name of the school is what gets you the job in most cases.
Quote by rockinrider55
I'm guessing Berklee auditions are like most other music schools now so you'll need to focus a lot on sight reading. Tons, tons, tons

Also to the guy who thinks Berklee harmony is the same as any regular university has never compared the texts. Berklee has their own unique version to approaching the harmonic analysis of songs.

You also get teachers that are extremely smart and peers who are as intense about music as yourself in addition to being as intelligent, if not more intelligent, than yourself. Trust me when I say that if you want to be the best you can be this will breed genius. I would love to go to drop my accounting and finance dual degree and go to berklee if most musicians werent poor. gota pay the bills. fml
Last edited by silentdud at Jul 16, 2009,
learn to play your edition song really well. I played Echida's arf (of you) by frank zappa and got in, but I'm not going until next year because of financial reasons. There is no theory test to get in, but the judges will be able to know what you know just by listening to you play and talking to you.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Well I'm fourteen so I have plenty of time

What books would you recommend to review music theory?

I appreciate your guy's help, too
14 is definitely a lot of time if you use it well. Start studying now and start studying hard. And don't stop, if you want to get into a great school.
Quote by srob7001
The name of the school is what gets you the job in most cases.

Not in the music world. Whether or not you can play is what will get you a gig. Not where you went to school or even whether or not you went to any school. If you can play, you can play, where you went to school doesn't matter.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
Not in the music world. Whether or not you can play is what will get you a gig. Not where you went to school or even whether or not you went to any school. If you can play, you can play, where you went to school doesn't matter.

That's not entirely true.

Being able to play is only half of the equation.

No producer is gonna check out all the myspaces of all the bands, or drive past your house and hear you play guitar. A (prestige) music school is the place where producers would look first, or at least playing in the big music scenes of LA, NY etc.

Don't even think of sending demo's. There are 1000000's of people making demo's and sending them to record companies.

It is literally beyond human capabilities, to listen to all of them, and I honestly don't' think that anyone has the patience or can keep up listening to them if you heard 10000's of crappy ones that are in it. Also, the fact that a good song might not come across as good if recorded bad, so a producer needs to listen with a "fresh" ear to spot potential.

You can't listen like this if you heard so many bad ones consecutively, cause you're ear would literally (And figurely) get tired.

You should travel or go out.

I have seen so many unknown musicians live that literally amazed me, and that is just in my hometown.

I can't even begin to comprehend how many more good musicians are out there in the entire world.

Realistically, (pop) songs are written every day by musicians all over the world.

I'd say that there are at least a million songs written a year using a pop styled progression/melody and/or ABABCB style.

There must be over a dozen potential hit songs in there.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 16, 2009,
Harmony I-IV is really just saying all 4 classes of Harmony

as a general rule, most Universities have 4 music theory (harmony) classes.

In my personal opinion, you should get this

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Theory-Book-Mark-Levine/dp/1883217040/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247791072&sr=8-1

I know it says "Jazz Theory', but it's honestly one of the best theory books I've ever seen (it covers pretty much everything you'll need)

and on top of that.... it's cheap.

One of my Harmony Text books cost me nearly 200 bucks, this book has the same material, in better terms (in many cases, at least) for MUCH less money.

As you go through it, make sure you learn your scales and key signatures.

One of my professors always said
"I want to write a theory book. It will have 3 chapters. Chapter 1 will be a list of key signatures and scales. Chapter two will be called "Chord building. See chapter 1" Chapter 3 will be "Improvisation. See chapter 1"

What I'm trying to say is.... know your scales and key signatures. Once you know those, everything else will become much much easier on you.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
I'm aiming for Berklee as well.

They're pretty much looking for an extremely well rounded player. Great feel, great understanding of music, great musicianship, great knowledge and application of it.

I didn't know that the school was mostly Jazz based, but that's what I play most of the time anyways.

Remember, although they don't evaluate your GPA as much as they do your talent, it's still a factor in the decision making progress, so don't slack in high school! I'm getting ready to be a Junior and I can't honestly say I've put in even 60% of my all into school thus far, and I'm hoping it won't bite me in the ass.

See you in Berklee,