ok i have been playing guitar for a little over a year now and power chords still hurt my left hand muscles when i play them for long periods of time or over and over again. anyone have any tips on how to strengthen my left hand so as to eliminate the pain
um, you should probably not play for awhile. if you keep it up you could have long term wrist damage i.e. it will hurt all the time. when it starts to hurt, all you can do is stop and stretch ur arm.
if its your fingers that hurt, rest for a couple of days.
Quote:
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote:
try anything form avenged sevenfold

I lol'ed.

Quote by Basti95
inb4 everyone else, well played
agreed. stretch it a little. stop and wiggle your fingers, roll your wrist, etc. if you've got a capo, sit there and keep squeezing it.
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Jim Dunlop, Dava, First Act Picks
An exercise you could try is starting to play power chords much higher on the neck, where you wont have to strain and stretch your hand so much. Start at fret seventeen and strum for a while. Move down a fret after a while. Repeat until you reach the first fret.

It's alright to feel a stretching feeling in your hand but if you feel any pain stop immediately.
A man, a woman, and a bad musician walk into a bar...

Lady GaGa orders a beer.
Hi Hilgers423!

This thread will get closed or moved to Guitar Techniques.
Please use the FAQ here in the Newbie Forum.
You can learn where a thread you make should be started by reading the descriptions of the forums on UG.

Have fun, and enjoy your time with us.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by 08don
um, you should probably not play for awhile. if you keep it up you could have long term wrist damage i.e. it will hurt all the time. when it starts to hurt, all you can do is stop and stretch ur arm.

I think that happned 2 me I've been playin guitar for 2 years now and my left hand has been killin me every time I play since da last six months
Last edited by reno123123 at Jul 19, 2009,