Well, I'm a guy who thinks 'everyone can learn a song if you give them the equipment and enough time' and thinks' a trait that defines a great musician from a good one is the ability to improvise, solos, rhythms, even lyrics.

That being said, I'm fairly fed up with myself as a musician. Aside from one guy I play with very often (although he is busy with his own band we cannot do our own), It seems like I'm the best improv guy in my age-range, being able to improvise around the pentatonic and blues scales in both boxed/extended positions for up to 20 minutes without stopping, but I have a gut feeling that it will only impress people with little to no formal music training, and in this point of the game I'm always playing in front of more talented musicians who can tear me to shreds.

The problem is: The music is getting stale to me, and if I end up making any kind of record, it'll be stale to everyone else.

I'd like to know good scales to compliment the blues and pentatonic scales well, a good book to learn some kind of theory out of (I know bare bones blues theory), and a good way for finding other musicians willing to work with me.

Extrenous info: I can play a hell load of RHCP/Frusciante songs, a few Pink Floyd songs, select Tool songs, a hell load of black keys, and a good amount of Jimi Hendrix songs, if that matters. I have proper equipment for practice, and I am a teenager.

Thanks in advance anybody, feel free to ask any other questions you mgiht need to ask.
look into jazz. seriously.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Do you have any specific suggestions as to bands to look into or scales/theory to study within jazz?

P.S. I love your Sig.
Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington. u may have heard of them.
and the major scale, phrygian scale, minor scale, almost any scale really. i would also look into playing jazz chords like maj/min7 or min/maj7, diminished, augmented... the list goes on. any theory is really useful. the more u know the more u understand, and it will make u a better musician.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

Last edited by ajreciever14 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by ajreciever14
Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington. u may have heard of them.
and the major scale, phrygian scale, minor scale, almost any scale really. i would also look into playing jazz chords like maj/min7 or min/maj7, diminished, augmented... the list goes on. any theory is really useful. the more u know the more u understand, and it make u a better musician.

I love Davis, Coltrane I've only gotten stardust which there is only piano and horns (IIRC).

I guess I'll look over the items that I don't even recognize at the moment, thanks!
oh yeah, and thanx for the sig material

also, even if there isnt a guitar part, u can still play it on guitar. learn to read sheet music if u dont already.

Yeah, for a little blues song I wrote up before a little performance I was all like
I'm gonna hit the A...then bend to the B and vibrato for 30 seconds and have that be the solo. People liked it.

Modern Blues-heads > Modern Metal-heads because of the theory in your sig.
just learning scales wont really help. just play what you want. be adventurous. try learning songs that are way outside of your normal playing style. seek inspiration when listening to music. and dont be so harsh on yourself. ive never seen anybody get torn to shreds by guitar playing. just do what you do. dont try to be like other players just because of technical ability. technical ability is only good for impressing other guitarists and thats not the real point of playing a guitar. you have to be able to play cleanly enough to get the song across, of course, but as long as youre digging what you do you will be fine. dont be afraid to try to learn a song or tecnique or whatever because it seems too hard for you to do. just try out playing every thing you think sounds cool or outside of the box enough to take you to new places tecnique-wise and absorb it like a sponge taking in millions of little drops...