I was playing my violin when I looked over at my bass and thought "wouldn't that be awesome if I could make it able to be played with a bow."

So 20 minutes later here I am with a cheap samick bass and a violin bow trying to make it sound good. All I did was mess with the action a bit to make the bridge look like my violins and this is where I've hit a dead end.

It sounds ok but it's not very clean and still needs a lot of work done to it to get it to where I want it to be. Has anyone else done this? Even if you haven't I need a few ideas and I'm sure there are people here that have a lot more expertise on this than I do.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
First of all a violin bow doesnt really work. You need an upright bass bow. Ive tried it before but it didnt work out that well. You can only really play the G and E strings and play chords.
Indeed. I took a bow to my friend's jazz, and it actually sounded kinda cool, but as was stated, you're kinda limited on what you can do for it. Mainly top and bottom strings. Chords can be done, but sounds kinda... bleh.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
king crimson did this, i believe. it was on either red or one more red nightmare
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Quote by corrda00
First of all a violin bow doesnt really work. You need an upright bass bow. Ive tried it before but it didnt work out that well. You can only really play the G and E strings and play chords.

He said he make his A and D higher and his E and G lower, almost like a bowed bridge.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by corrda00

Did you just leave everything as is? I can play all strings on it right now with minor adjustments but it still doesn't sound great. Would longer screws in the bridge so the strings could be raised more be a good idea?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
Quote by 2 15/16
Did you just leave everything as is? I can play all strings on it right now with minor adjustments but it still doesn't sound great. Would longer screws in the bridge so the strings could be raised more be a good idea?

but you're also making the action a lot higher on the A and D strings which might be kinda uncomfortable to play, as well as getting resin all over the pickups. Then again, you did mention it's a cheap bass..

have you tried all of the different pickup selection options on your bass?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
I did this before a jazz ensemble practice a few months ago... turn up all of your knobs on ze bass, the boost everything on your amp for monstrously awesome sound. It sounds great with a delay on, and probably even cooler with an envelope filter and chorus or some such effect.

I plan on making a song with a loop of it.
Quote by capslockisnton
but you're also making the action a lot higher on the A and D strings which might be kinda uncomfortable to play, as well as getting resin all over the pickups. Then again, you did mention it's a cheap bass..

have you tried all of the different pickup selection options on your bass?

my neck pickup sounds the best. here is a pic of how i have it set;
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
Its incredibly fun to do with lots of effects.

Fuzz + Delay + Chorus + Wah + Flanger + Bow = Awesome.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
I've only tried it once, and that was with my guitar. It didn't work out so well. I could only play my low E string. But it sounded like a cello (with distortion), so yay for that I guess.
I've played upright bass for years. And right now I am telling you that using a bow on your electric bass is an awful idea. It will wreck the bow and your strings. And If you don't really know how to use the bow you will pick up unbearable technique with it. Bows are expensive (for even a decent one) and you will probably need rosin too. That will leave pure marks on your strings though...
I would never let a filthy bow, smothered in rosin, get anywhere near my bass strings. >:|
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I would never let a filthy bow, smothered in rosin, get anywhere near my bass strings. >:|

It cost me $50 so I'm not even worried about it. It's just a old Samick short scale in terrible condition. It's a cheap bow to. Not even made of wood, just fiberglass. I've decided to get bigger screws so I can make the A and D strings higher like a bowed bridge. I'll put pics and sound samples up when it's done.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
Flatwounds! Those will probably help, plus the longer screws thingy, but I don't know where you could get some of those. Getting a cheap cello or upright bow will help, too.

Also, bowed electric bass + Electric Mistress Flanger = awesome.

Just a thought, why not sell off the Samick and get a cheap violin shaped bass? That would probably help since the body is cut so close to the strings.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by watchingmefall
That has a completely different sound and technique possibilities. Nothing like a bow.

I beg to differ, I can make the exact sounds with an Ebow as I can with a standard bow plus the Ebow is a lot more useful and a lot easier to use than a bow on a bass or treble guitar.
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild
Quote by SoundManMike
I beg to differ, I can make the exact sounds with an Ebow as I can with a standard bow plus the Ebow is a lot more useful and a lot easier to use than a bow on a bass or treble guitar.

Exact is a pretty big word, no way in hell it can be exact.
I agree i can get anygood sounds using my DB bow and its quite a good one on my EB. I only tried for a short time but still. Any way youll look like a fool.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul