Okay so I've decided on getting a Jackson Kelly or a Jackson Rhoads, but now I'm looking around for an amp.

The problem is....i know next to nothing about amps!
I don't plan on buying right away, I'm going to go to my guitar shops and play through as many as i can, and do as much research as possible before I make any decisions.

Right now i'm playing through a Line 6 Spider III 75W with an Epiphone G-400, and it sounds fine..I'm starting to notice some of the problems about the Spider which is why I should probably get a new amp which i will most likely get after the guitar. (I know i should get the amp first, but im getting the guitar first for my own reasons)

-----

I'm looking for versatility. Most important to me is the sound with distortion or overdrive, but it should also have a good clean channel. I play mainly metal & rock, but I also play music which requires me to have good cleans.
Now from what i've heard a tube amp would be the best choice? I don't really know...
I guess for the wattage I'm looking for 75 or more because I plan on gigging with this amp.

Along with all that I need pedals: Overdrive (or Distortion), Delay and Wah for now.

I have an idea for the delay and wah that i may want. There both Ibanez Tone-Lok the weeping demon wah and the DE7 Delay. I still need to try them. I'm open to suggestions.

My budget is $1000 (this includes the pedals)
I would like to stay as cheap as possible because this is kinda a lot of money that I'm considering spending.
Last edited by siverstorm at Jul 16, 2009,
You can get away with a 30 watt tube amp. Maybe a used Mesa F-30? Bugeras would be good too, probably the 333XL. The weeping demon is good, especially for high gain stuff. The DE-7 is good too. For an od an ibanez ts-9 would be good.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Do they sell Bugera's in Canada? I'm having trouble finding them.

EDIT: Same with Mesa, the only ones I found at my local shop site, are some 3000 dollar ones.
Last edited by siverstorm at Jul 15, 2009,
definately go for a better amp above pedals first. i suggest anything tube. for effects, delay is great if youre a lead guitarist. try and get an amp with good distortion already built in.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I figure I'll get em together, and I play both rhythm and lead. (which is why i wanted the delay)

I'm In Toronto, I just cant seem to find any Mesa's or Bugera's on the websites for the stores im going to. I know the websites for long and mcquade and steves music suck donkey, but its all i'm going on right now. That and i couldn't even find Mesa's or Bugera's on muisians friend.
Last edited by siverstorm at Jul 15, 2009,
/double bump

Okay well i have another question regarding tube amps

After doing some studying I know i need a combo, it'll mainly be used for bedroom playing BUT my dad's a drummer and we like to jam a lot, so i'll need some more juice than a small practise amp.

From what I've learned 30W seems like more than enough for what I need. I have some ideas in my price range, but I think they're way too big (50W Kustom Defender, 50W Randall RG50TC) and if i can find something cheaper that would be great.

Are there any more amps that i could look at in the $300-$600 CDN price range?
Quote by siverstorm
/double bump

Okay well i have another question regarding tube amps

After doing some studying I know i need a combo, it'll mainly be used for bedroom playing BUT my dad's a drummer and we like to jam a lot, so i'll need some more juice than a small practise amp.

From what I've learned 30W seems like more than enough for what I need. I have some ideas in my price range, but I think they're way too big (50W Kustom Defender, 50W Randall RG50TC) and if i can find something cheaper that would be great.

Are there any more amps that i could look at in the $300-$600 CDN price range?

Genres?
^ in his OP.

I'm not really sure what you'd have available to you in Canada. Maybe try a Peavey Classic 30? I've heard some wonderful things about that, and I imagine that with a good OD pedal you'll be able to hit the metal range. Or if you're willing to go used maybe look for some marshalls or something on eBay?

If you could give us an idea of bands that'd be good because you've just given us two very, very wide genres.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

mostly Iron Maiden, & marty friedman's stuff
then there's lamb of god, some black sabbath, black label society, Billy Talent
Quote by siverstorm
mostly Iron Maiden, & marty friedman's stuff
then there's lamb of god, some black sabbath, black label society, Billy Talent

With those influences, I would definitely recommend a Marshall but those are way out of your price range.

I'd go over to Alf's thread for metal gear and you'll get good recommendations from people who know everything about heavy metal amps.

EDIT: here's the link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157650
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by siverstorm
Do they sell Bugera's in Canada? I'm having trouble finding them.

EDIT: Same with Mesa, the only ones I found at my local shop site, are some 3000 dollar ones.

www.axemusic.com (based out of Edmonton and Calgary)
www.lamusic.ca (based out of somewhere in Ontario I believe)
both sites sell Bugera, I bought mine from Axemusic's website.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS