Alright - So here's the thing.
My 4 string Ibanez has Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings on it; and I like those strings for that bass, because that's the bass I use for anything played slap style or whatnot. My 5 string bass has the same kind of strings on it, but I'm looking to change them. I find that they sound a little too bright for what I usually play on that bass (I usually keep this one downtuned for playing heavier stuff). I'm just wondering if anyone knows any good bass strings that'll give my 5 string bass a heavy, thick sound to it.
I use ernie ball power slinkys and tune to C#.
If you like the EB strings, maybe look at the 5 string set?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Yeah, I have the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 5's on my 5 string right now, I find that they sound wayyyyy too bright for playing metal. I want a more low end sound, more muffled I guess you could say?
Quote by CommaBass
Yeah, I have the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 5's on my 5 string right now, I find that they sound wayyyyy too bright for playing metal. I want a more low end sound, more muffled I guess you could say?

That's what I said the power slinkys.
Elixirs are even brighter in my experience.
What about some flat wounds? Also most everyone on this site seems to be rather fond of rotosounds though I have no experience myself.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Jul 16, 2009,
you could try some flatwound strings if you want something less bright
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
A warning about Rotosounds: they sound GREAT when they're fresh out of the package but they die quickly. The sound they have is bright but not bright like the Ernie Balls, they have a really good low end on them.

They fit the description of what you're looking for, aside from the short life of the strings. Some people claim that they're too rough to play, I played them and they are some of the rougher strings you'll play but I didn't find them to be too bad.
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join