alright,i have a Fender Bullet Strat that was my first guitar and i am currently modding that (and my RG5EX1) and i was wondering how bad would it be to take off all the strings so i can scallop the fretboard
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
not too bad depending on how long you're gonna leave it off. If it's gonna be only a week or two, fine, or even three (iffy for me...) but more than that, and you should loosen the truss a bit.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
well depending on what mods you do wouldn't you have to take the strings off any way?
That’s how we’ll know. This is not a test, oh no
This is cardiac arrest

Of a world too proud to admit our mistakes
We're crashing into the ground as all fall from grace
taking the strings off wont hurt it as long as youre going to do what you have to do with the strings off and then put em back on when youre done. just dont take more than a week or two. as for scalloping the fretboard, that might hurt the guitar quite a bit. that will weaken the neck, decrease the sustain and resonance, remove the inlays, and possibly loosten up some frets over time. im assuming you have a pretty good idea of what youre doing if youre feeling up to it in the first place but be careful and dont do it on a guitar you like enough to be afraid to ruin it. mistakes can happen, especially on the first time so be careful and work slow and precise if you decide to go for it.

good luck.
^It's a ****ty Squier, dude And besides, if he does the whole fretboard and adjust the truss as needed to compensate for the concavities in the board, it could actually help him play better.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
^It's a ****ty Squier, dude And besides, if he does the whole fretboard and adjust the truss as needed to compensate for the concavities in the board, it could actually help him play better.

since it's a ****ty squier, it's basically making it sound ****tier? XP If you must scallop, I suggest scalloping only some of the higher frets and only slightly. You seem inexperienced with guitar modifications as you ask such a question. Good luck!
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
no ive redone a couple of guitars i was just making sure lol

but what if when your sanding the fret (im doing thhe 12) and you dont realize that you wen through the tape and onto the fret?

how bad is it?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

bump
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
alright,i have a Fender Bullet Strat that was my first guitar and i am currently modding that (and my RG5EX1) and i was wondering how bad would it be to take off all the strings so i can scallop the fretboard
That will take a while. I'd loosen the truss rod. It compensates for the strings trying to bow the neck. Without the string tension, it will bow the neck backward. Just pay attention to how much you loosen it so it will put you close when you put your strings back on.

Quote by williamdllr
no ive redone a couple of guitars i was just making sure lol

but what if when your sanding the fret (im doing thhe 12) and you dont realize that you wen through the tape and onto the fret?

how bad is it?
If it's near where the fret meets the board, it's not a huge deal. If it's near the top of the fret, that matters more, especially on the side of the fret nearest the bridge.

Also, don't bump your threads after an hour. Wait at least a day.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Say that again please. By the way, you pretty much only sand in the middle of behind the frets, not right next to them. Then you slowly build up size.
Quote by BGSM
Say that again please. By the way, you pretty much only sand in the middle of behind the frets, not right next to them. Then you slowly build up size.
WHO should say WHAT again?

Quote what you don't understand, else you just add more confusion.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
the only place the scratches kinda go on top of the fret marker is near the low e string

is that still a problem?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
the only place the scratches kinda go on top of the fret marker is near the low e string

is that still a problem?
wait ... WHAT? The fret marker? That's cosmetic.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
no i meant the fret it self

sorry about that

lack of sleep lol

no but the twelth fret
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

If the scratches are shallow, you'll probably take more than that off when you touch up the leveling/crowning/polishing anyway. After you finish your scalloping, it would probably make sense to do that even if you hadn't hit the fret.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
ive never done any of that

how would you do all of that and and what would i need

and some of the scratches are a lil deep but oh well

i dont use that fret much for the low e string

only reason im doing all of this that it was my first guitar and its got sentimental value to me hence why i am heavily modding it to be a decent guitar

Edit: and is there any house hold item that i could put on the fretboard after im done scalloping it to make it look good until i can get some lemon oil or something else?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Last edited by williamdllr at Jul 16, 2009,
well i dunno if this would work for your case, but i didn't clean my fretboard for a while (a year+) and there was like 3 inches of dirt and grime from playing so much. if you take a glasses-cleaning cloth or towel or even a bunch of paper towels, and rub it into the fretboard with a flat-head screwdriver, it cleans up real nice without any scratches or anything.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Last edited by ice condition at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by williamdllr
ive never done any of that
Learn to. It's not hard and it make a ton of difference in the playability.

Quote by williamdllr
how would you do all of that and and what would i need
There are tutorials all over the net. Personally I like to use sharpening stones.

Quote by williamdllr
only reason im doing all of this that it was my first guitar and its got sentimental value to me hence why i am heavily modding it to be a decent guitar
Any guitar worth keeping is worth a little maintenance.

Quote by williamdllr
Edit: and is there any house hold item that i could put on the fretboard after im done scalloping it to make it look good until i can get some lemon oil or something else?
baby oil. It's just mineral oil. I prefer it to lemon oil, although I prefer a lower viscosity mineral oil than the stuff they use for baby oil.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
thank you so much someoneyouknew!

and thanks icecondition,i will try that sometime and then use baby oil lol

and i will try dressing up the frets when i am done scalloping

(taking forever since all i am using is 80 grit sandpaper lol)
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

i guess my sister took the baby oil when she moved lol

is there anything else?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112