I saw one of these at my local guitar shop for $800 canadian (~715 american) with new tubes and upgrades speakers (sorry not sure which ones) and it looked like a good deal to me. I play most types of blues/rock/metal (looking mainly to get a David Gilmour/Brian May clean sound) and was wondering how this amp would handle with an overdrive/distortion pedal (for the heavier stuff). Also, I won't be able to play at high volumes most of the time, so how does it handle at low volumes.

On another note, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay or Boss DD-3 Digital Delay?

edit: play a gibson SG atm.
David Gilmour = Hiwatt Custom
Brian May = AC30

It handles low volumes fine, but it does open up as you crank it.

Between the MXR and the Boss, it depends what you want. Boss for more features and longer delay times, and the MXR for warmer analog delay. Although, I'd rather go for a Maxon. I personally don't love the MXRs...
I was looking at those two, but haven't seen any used and they're like twice the price of this Fender new. In any case, I wasn't looking for those artists' tone exclusively, just wondering if I could get into that ballpark with some effect pedals.

Could I get some x japan with a good OD pedal? Love Replica

I've basically been looking for a good base amp with good clean that I could build onto with pedals, is this a good idea?

edit: and those Maxons are too expensive, probly $180 max for me.
Last edited by ericos96 at Jul 16, 2009,
twin reverb + SG = WIN
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I've heard someone reliable (I think nightraven?) say that the Malekko 616 was nice. And I'd wait for the new EHX Memory Boy and Memory Toy and try those out if not that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Sorry to bump, does anyone know how this amp sounds with a distortion pedal?
High end fenders take distortion pedals fantasically well, world music supply use a fender deluxe reverb for all their pedal demos due to this. My RAT sounds completetly different through the twin when compared to putting it through line6 pod farm (not suprising but the difference is truely unbelieveable).
Quote by Meatball200
High end fenders take distortion pedals fantasically well, world music supply use a fender deluxe reverb for all their pedal demos due to this. My RAT sounds completetly different through the twin when compared to putting it through line6 pod farm (not suprising but the difference is truely unbelieveable).

Most modelling amps/software don't take distortion pedals very well. I could never get a decent sound out of my DS-2 with Guitar Rig, but ever since I got a proper amp I can get some epic tones out of that pedal. (yeah, I'm into 90s grunge tones sometimes)
Since you plan on using delay, you may want to make sure the twin you get is the version with an effects loop. Also, you may want to consider an overdrive with a mid boost. The twin reverb loves most pedals.

What else is available?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Since you plan on using delay, you may want to make sure the twin you get is the version with an effects loop. Also, you may want to consider an overdrive with a mid boost. The twin reverb loves most pedals.

What else is available?

The effects loop wouldn't matter since a Twin doesn't breakup until the sound becomes painful. Therefore, since the amp doesn't distort, you can put the delay in front of your amp no problem.

Also, for a Hiwatt on a budget, a Twin Reverb will not lead you wrong.
Well, what year/condition?

There's no question that if you're looking for great cleans as a base for dirt and drives, there is VERY little out there that can beat Fenders, the Twrin Reverb in particular.

I don't use it all the time, but I find it unlikely that I would survive without an occasional dose of "Big Twin" cleans.

One of, some would argue THE, greatest pedal platform amp out there.

Only drawback in your scenario would be the volume issue, these like to get pumped.

Maybe a smaller Fender in a similar vein would suit you better.

Also see:
Vibrolux
Bassman
Bandmaster
Deville/Deluxe
Super Reverb (well, this is about as loud...)
Quote by colin617
The effects loop wouldn't matter since a Twin doesn't breakup until the sound becomes painful. Therefore, since the amp doesn't distort, you can put the delay in front of your amp no problem.

True, I hadn't considered that.
^ Pretty much why I havn't tried anything through the effects loop of the twin amp yet. I think they put it in because of the added drive channel on that basis.
Here's a demo of the Deluxe Reverb. Which is basically a lower wattage 1x12" version. If I had the money I'd scoop up that Twin in a heartbeat.
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
mine sounds great with a big muff a bit big headed but true, and i pull 2 power tubes to lower the volume works fine.