Ok so I always write songs, and i just started playing guitar and humming melodys of the progessions to help with the lyric flow of the song but one thing i have trouble with is writing a good chorus.

I can never think of something simple and catchy or how to say something in a chorus.

Another thing i have noticed when i write songs i sound a little too much like my favorite singer/songwriter Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. I think mabye its just that he hits a lot of topics i try to write about and he says pretty much everything i feel should be said about topics. For instance i was writing a song about a girl that i used to be close with and she just left me for no reason and it sort of reminded me of the songs "The Crimson Idol" and "Forever Free" by W.A.S.P. I think its the melodys of those songs that were in my head while i wrote it which make it similar to those songs.

So basically my questions are,

What ways do you write a chorus or if there are certain things that can help me with writing them?

What would help me with coming up with melody's that are unique and don't sound like other songs?

-thanks
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by gatechballer
Write the music first

i usually do
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by NGMF-Sam

Another thing i have noticed when i write songs i sound a little too much like my favorite singer/songwriter Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. I think mabye its just that he hits a lot of topics i try to write about and he says pretty much everything i feel should be said about topics. For instance i was writing a song about a girl that i used to be close with and she just left me for no reason and it sort of reminded me of the songs "The Crimson Idol" and "Forever Free" by W.A.S.P. I think its the melodys of those songs that were in my head while i wrote it which make it similar to those songs.

Well, that's the thing with bands and people that influence you. Unless you're directly copying a riff or set of lyrics, you're doing what people have been doing for decades. You like that band, that's your taste and style, and it should show through your writing for sure.

A good way to create something new is to take something old and put your own twist on it. I'm sure that sounds far too simple, but that's how I've come up with some of my best riffs and licks. Hope that helps a little.
Quote by PanicAttackx5
Well, that's the thing with bands and people that influence you. Unless you're directly copying a riff or set of lyrics, you're doing what people have been doing for decades. You like that band, that's your taste and style, and it should show through your writing for sure.

A good way to create something new is to take something old and put your own twist on it. I'm sure that sounds far too simple, but that's how I've come up with some of my best riffs and licks. Hope that helps a little.

well i'll have to try that, i usually just play random **** and try to come up with stuff that way, thanks
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_