A project guitar has recently come into my possession that I wanted some opinions on. It's in the shape of an Explorer with a set neck. It appears to be a Gibson knock-off, the Gibson logo have been removed with the imprint of it still slightly visible at the right angle.

The neck is solid an un-warped, and it even appears to have Grover Mini Rotomatics, though those may be fake too (they'd be excellent knock-offs. They may be a retrofit). The body, on the other hand, has a host of problems. First and foremost, it's plywood (gasp). This would be the second body that I've bought that ended up being plywood, and I'm not very happy about it. But then, I've never actually heard a plywood guitar played, so I don't know how they sound.

The structural instabilities aside, would re-assembling a plywood guitar be worth it? I can get good deals on parts being a music store employee, but if it's not worth it it's not worth it.

Another interesting thing about this guitar is that the neck is parallel to the body, no angle, and came with a fender/vintage-style 6-screw trem on it, complete with routed cavity, springs, and claw. I've removed the entire temolo assembly, and I plan filling the cavity with some oak scrap and plastic wood. If I manage to get the cavities filled properly, I'd probably slap on some kind of top-loading hardtail bridge, throw in some electronics and give 'er a go.

But, first and foremost, is there any sense in refurbishing a guitar that lacks tone wood? Am I wasting my time/money? If I go ahead with it, I'll post pictures. If I scrap the project and enjoy the feeling of my wasted money, I'll simply let the thread die. Thanks ahead of time for your input.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
It could be an awesome learning experience and will definitely be a fun project. Knowing that it'll probably never be the tone machine you've imagined, the fear of royally screwing up is minimized, I imagine.

I'd go for it! It doesn't look like you'll go crazy and start using premium parts. As long as the neck isn't warped and it intonates properly, check out some of the inexpensive parts from http://store.guitarfetish.com/

Dress the frets, re-finish, use shielded wires, etc. ... these would be inexpensive. Good Luck!

Not having to worry about screwing up definitely helps.

The funny thing about premium parts is how much they're marked up. I could drop in some DiMarzios for just a little more than the GFS pups would set me back. It's the only reason I've been able to build up my parts supply as it is.
I Japanese Fenders
Quote by GravyFish
The funny thing about premium parts is how much they're marked up. I could drop in some DiMarzios for just a little more than the GFS pups would set me back.

<anger>

grrr

</anger>

Then go for it. You'll have what will be at least a decent guitar, or if nothing else something cool to hang on the wall. Then a few months down the road when you come into a little cash, buy a good body and you'll have all the hardware you need already in this plywood build.
you could try making it into a chavrel star ala that mintsauce guy.
Quote by Seref
<anger>

grrr

</anger>

Then go for it. You'll have what will be at least a decent guitar, or if nothing else something cool to hang on the wall. Then a few months down the road when you come into a little cash, buy a good body and you'll have all the hardware you need already in this plywood build.

He he, trust me, it's not all fun and games. I get paid very little for all of the hard work that I do, so the discounts are the only perk left.

I always like an excuse to buy extra parts.

Any ideas on what would be a good way to fill the cavities? I'm shying away from wood filler because I want something strong to anchor the bridge in. I'm thinking about just buying a hunk of wood on ebay, since I have a friend who could help me band-saw it to the proper dimensions, but I'm not sure about what kind of wood I should use or the best way to go about gluing it in.

Edit: A-HAH! I found what appears to be exactly what I need. This gadget would be a close fit (some sanding to get it just right). I still don't know how to glue it in properly, but at least I could skip the band-sawing part.
I Japanese Fenders
Last edited by GravyFish at Jul 22, 2009,