Page 1 of 2
I have a Jackson Pro and it sounds pretty good. Im looking for a dimebag sound out of it tho.

I have been playing for 15 yrs and left the sceene a while back. I am now getting into my old guitars from the 90's and looking for that great sound again. Difference is.... I had a Peavy 5150 half stack and it did all the crunching and then some!! I sold it and now have a Marshall with 2/10's. Just not the same!!!!
Pickups are used to pickup sound from the strings

Not rip heads off.

You would know that if you have been playing that long.
Quote by Steeze
Pickups are used to pickup sound from the strings

Not rip heads off.

You would know that if you have been playing that long.

Harharhar
I would've thought that if you were playing for that long, you would've defined your own tone.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Just slap a DiMarzio Evolution or D Activator in there and get on with it man

Actually, probably a Breed or D Sonic considering the guitar...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
That dime sound? Pickups wont get you it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Bill lawrence 500-XL i think it's called?
or dimebucker, which is OK. All it can do is pretty OK dimebag tones.

need a solid state amp buddy. Solid state amps really rip heads off. They have more chunk and heaviness than tube amps IMO. Love playing with high gain solid states. however, they get boring after a while and tube amps generally have better tone. The distortion on SS still kicks ass.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
The distortion on SS still kicks ass.

Bill Lawrence pickups will get you the closest to Dimebag (I love them for the harmonics), that and a whole CRAPLOAD of pedals. That guy had more distortion then a bent kock.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Quote by TheJem

Bill Lawrence pickups will get you the closest to Dimebag (I love them for the harmonics), that and a whole CRAPLOAD of pedals. That guy had more distortion then a bent kock.

wat
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Something tells me you want a better amp instead of pickups

A Marshall with 2x10s just isn't going to give you that sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
True. New amp. But for pickups, get either a SD Dimebucker or L500 by bill lawrence
Quote by TubeAmp89
True. New amp. But for pickups, L500 by bill lawrence. Don't even think of the Seymour Duncan DimeBucker.

Corrected.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
You could also try sticking an OD pedal infront of the amp and turning the volume on it to max. It'll boost your Marshall into higher gain territory.
Try it out at a music store.

[EDIT: this is only worth trying if your Marshall is a full tube amp]
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by TubeAmp89
@ragingkitty: Why not Dimebuckers?

I find that the Dimebucker is shrill, sharp and treble heavy. It really doesn't emulate the sorta tone that Dime was known for, even if it was pretty bad. I find it to be a one trick pony that can't do its one trick well at all.

Its not exactly my idea of a "ripping" pickup. It doesn't have bottom end chunk or mid range grind. Although I must admit it seems fairly sensitive to pinch harmonics.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 16, 2009,
Pickups called 'Bill Lawrence' are no longer made by him. His ones are Wilde Pickups and are the ones you want (unless you support the ****wits who stole the name off him.) Wildes are dirt cheap and great sounding but I hear there is a waiting list at the mo.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Pickups called 'Bill Lawrence' are no longer made by him. His ones are Wilde Pickups and are the ones you want (unless you support the ****wits who stole the name off him.) Wildes are dirt cheap and great sounding but I hear there is a waiting list at the mo.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467725&highlight=bill+lawrence

When you go to http://wildepickups.com/, it clearly states on the front page that is Bill and Becky's site... and they aren't the proprietors of Bill Lawrence USA Pickups, which is the brand which Dime used to use.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I find that the Dimebucker is shrill, sharp and treble heavy. It really doesn't emulate the sorta tone that Dime was known for

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by silly hats

Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Hunt down a Randall RG100ES or go cheap with a Line6 Uber Metal.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Guit-FiddleMan
I have a Jackson Pro and it sounds pretty good. Im looking for a dimebag sound out of it tho.

I have been playing for 15 yrs and left the sceene a while back. I am now getting into my old guitars from the 90's and looking for that great sound again. Difference is.... I had a Peavy 5150 half stack and it did all the crunching and then some!! I sold it and now have a Marshall with 2/10's. Just not the same!!!!

EMG 81
SD Livewire
Bareknuckle...uhh Warpig?
Dimebucker
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Emg 85. Better than any other EMG in the bridge position.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
Emg 85. Better than any other EMG in the bridge position.

What...is this trolling or serious??

I've never seen an 85 anywhere except the neck???
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by hendrixftw
What...is this trolling or serious??

I've never seen an 85 anywhere except the neck???

The 85 tends to sound best in the bridge on guitars made of Alder or Ash (Strats).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The 85 tends to sound best in the bridge on guitars made of Alder or Ash (Strats).

Hmm never heard that before...
Will have to check it out...
Is it any better in the bridge then the 81 - I mean Hammet did some pretty good stuff with an 81 in the bridge.
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by apak
Bill lawrence 500-XL i think it's called?
or dimebucker, which is OK. All it can do is pretty OK dimebag tones.

need a solid state amp buddy. Solid state amps really rip heads off. They have more chunk and heaviness than tube amps IMO. Love playing with high gain solid states. however, they get boring after a while and tube amps generally have better tone. The distortion on SS still kicks ass.

horrible generalization. he'd want an SS because it'd give him that chainsaw sound, not because SS amps are inherently heavier (because they aren't, play an Diezel or ENGL then say that again :p)
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Where is the justice in this thread???

<b>EMG 85 & 81</b>

Best metal pickups ever.
Flame me if you want, but that's my opinion.

Also, the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, I think they're called...? They're nice, too.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC

<b>EMG 85 & 81</b>

Best metal pickups ever.

Also, the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, I think they're called...? They're nice, too.

Do you think you've honestly played enough "metal" pickups to make such a bold statement? You ever play a Bareknuckle or a WCR?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
I said "That's my opinion." I didn't say it was fact. Yeah, I played a WCR. Sadly it was through a crappy amp at a store, so I probably didn't get the full impression. Haven't really heard of them, and I don't hear of any of my bands incorporating them.

Tell ya what, when Between the Buried and Me starts to use those pickups, I will kneel before you and buy a truck full of them. Till that day, I like my EMGs.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC
I said "That's my opinion." I didn't say it was fact. Yeah, I played a WCR. Sadly it was through a crappy amp at a store, so I probably didn't get the full impression. Haven't really heard of them, and I don't hear of any of my bands incorporating them.

Tell ya what, when Between the Buried and Me starts to use those pickups, I will kneel before you and buy a truck full of them. Till that day, I like my EMGs.

It doesn't have to be fact to have to be substantiated by experience (if you want it to mean anything anyways.) You're completely entitled to your opinion about them, but I'm just saying that when there is other stuff out there that you haven't tried, don't clump them in the same group and then deem them superior to them all. "best metal pickup i've heard/tried" would have made more sense.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Kay, sorry to piss you off, man, just offerin' the guy a suggestion.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC
Kay, sorry to piss you off, man, just offerin' the guy a suggestion.

Not pissed, just boggled by the scope of that statement No hard feelings man.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
I've owned a Dimebucker unfortunately and even used it through a boosted Randall RH100 and it sucked at getting dimebag tones. Hell it sucked at everything, it was shrill and muddy as hell all in a bad way.

And closest I have come to Dimebag tones is a Line 6 Uber Metal Pedal. Slap it in pulverize with a normal set of pickups and you are good to go. Its pretty much dimebag in a box.
Quote by ragingkitty
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467725&highlight=bill+lawrence

When you go to http://wildepickups.com/, it clearly states on the front page that is Bill and Becky's site... and they aren't the proprietors of Bill Lawrence USA Pickups, which is the brand which Dime used to use.

Wrong.
Bill Lawrence the person is/was an amazing pickup winder. Dime used L500XLs wound by Bill and his people.
When Bill Lawrence's name was put on Bill Lawrence USA, Dime simply though it was a major drop in quality and switched alleigances to Duncan, with whom he designed the Dimebucker.
Bill Lawrence the person still winds pickups, just as well as he used to, and if you want a Dime tone that isn't shrill, harsh, fizzy, midless or anything like some of his, ahem, less tonally compelling work, then Wilde pickups are without doubt the company you're after; with the demand Bill's facing he might push up prices soon, so don't sit around.
Quote by Rock Pig
Wrong.
Bill Lawrence the person is/was an amazing pickup winder. Dime used L500XLs wound by Bill and his people.
When Bill Lawrence's name was put on Bill Lawrence USA, Dime simply though it was a major drop in quality and switched alleigances to Duncan, with whom he designed the Dimebucker.

Wrong......

Bill lawrence couldnt keep up with the demand for his signature guitars he started putting out. So Duncan stepped in to take over.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC

<b>EMG 85 & 81</b>

Best metal pickups ever.

And my opinion is that EMGs blow, unless they're in the right guitar. Even then, a set of good passives always sounds better IMO.

For the same price, you can buy a set of Bare Knuckles which completely blow them away.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
And my opinion is that EMGs blow, unless they're in the right guitar. Even then, a set of good passives always sounds better IMO.

For the same price, you can buy a set of Bare Knuckles which completely blow them away.

Poke poke... Not to rain on your parade Matrix ya know I love ya ...

But..
Bare Knuckles range from $300-$400+ here in the states for the set..
Versus $185-$200 for EMG's and then there is my getum used Emg's which cost me $35 bucks a piece

So there is a benefit of emgs over Bareknuckles. And dont get me wrong if I was rich all of my guitars would have bareknuckles...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 16, 2009,
Seeing as this seems to be a general pickup thread (or metal oriented or whatever) I guess It'd be safe to ask this question here:

If I wanted to change the pickups in my guitar from the Zakk Wylde EMG set to something else, would a switch to passives be worth it? Particularly the SD JB for bridge? I may get another guitar in the next 12 months or so, but it'll probably be a 7 string. Do they make JBs for 7 stringers? If they do, would it be more worth waiting and putting it in a new guitar (which would have crappier pickups to start off with) than to swap the active EMGs I have now?

I've read up a bit on passives vs. actives and seem to see a trend of people who say that passives have a smoother roll off on the guitar volume than actives (my pickups roll off isn't very subtle). I've also read that the EMGs in particular have a very thin weak sound on the lighter strings than many passives, I've noticed this with my pickups a bit, but would the switch to a JB or something similar fix the above 2 problems? My current guitar is an LTD MH400 mahogany body, neck all that stuff.

Sorry for the long post thanks for any help?
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Poke poke... Not to rain on your parade Matrix ya know I love ya ...

But..
Bare Knuckles range from $300-$400+ here in the states for the set..
Versus $185-$200 for EMG's and then there is my getum used Emg's which cost me $35 bucks a piece

So there is a benefit of emgs over Bareknuckles. And dont get me wrong if I was rich all of my guitars would have bareknuckles...

Actually... you can buy a set of Bareknuckles brand new in the US for $240 shipped
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2