I have a creeping suspicion that the neck pickup in my Flying V isn't the original after diagnosing a grounding issue earlier today. I can't find anything online and there's no markings on either the bridge or neck pickup (other than the Gibson USA stamp) that distinguishes one from another. I know there's a way or else Gibson is guessing which pickups they're actually placing into their guitars.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
where exactly does this creeping suspicion come from?

Gibson pickups don't usually specify bridge or neck.
If it has the stamp i bet it's original
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
It's a Gibson pickup but I don't think it's the original one in the guitar. And I know Gibson pickups don't specify bridge or neck, I'm curious as to how you can distinguish say a 490R from a 500T or something. A lot of Gibson pickups just have black bobbins without any markings to dignify a specific model.

The soldering in my Flying V looks fishy and the grounding doesn't look right. Plus the neck pickup is installed upside-down
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

The neck screw polepieces are generally supposed to be towards the neck. But I guess some people like to flip it the other way to give the neck more brightness and bite. Gary Moore does this.

I would check by measuring the DC resistance with a DMM.
I've got a DMM but Gibson doesn't have a spec sheet for resistance on their pickups lol. This is so frustrating
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60