I've been playing for two years now and can play any ryhthm on the damn planet but can't solo worth a ****. Whenever I try a solo it always comes out horrible and its really started to piss me off lately. The only solo I can play is Collective Soul's "She Gathers Rain". Any tips on soloing?

And to give you an idea on the rhythms I can play(I mean the WHOLE rhythm section) here's a short list of the more advanced stuff IMO:
Psychosocial
Gematria
This Cold Black
Scream Aim Fire
Waking the Demon
Hearts Burst Into Fire(not really advanced )
A Cauldron of Hate
Master of Puppets
Because of You(Nickelback)
GEAR

Fender Telecaster Standard
Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
I like slipknot but their rhythms aren't really that advanced, especially psychosocial, solo is fast as **** though.
It was just to give you an idea of the stuff I can play. But I guess you're right now that I think about it.
GEAR

Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
learn your pentatonic scale and how to improvise in it. then some of the solos you try to learn will make more sense.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Last edited by ihavenoname93 at Jul 16, 2009,
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks for posting on topic by the way.
GEAR

Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
Well, when you say your solo turns out horrible, what do you mean? is it sloppy? are you off beat? to slow? what exactly are you messing up? I would suggest finding a nice slow song with an easy solo. Also make sure you practice the solo slowly. very. very. slowly.
Well its hard to explain, I'll just make a list.
1. I'm not fast enough
2. I can't bend and release fast enough
3. Sometimes notes die out too soon at higher frets
4. If I try to go fast I just look like a spaz
5. my fingers aren't fluid, I guess
GEAR

Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
1. Practice very slow and build up
2. Practice very slow and build up
3. You may want to try pressing down a little harder around the higher frets
4. Practice very slow and build up
5. Practice very slow and build up
I hate to sound like a douche, but learn Triviums 'Suffocating Sight' rhythm and then the solo... worked for me.
Sig.
Quote by hendrixism
1. Practice very slow and build up
2. Practice very slow and build up
3. You may want to try pressing down a little harder around the higher frets
4. Practice very slow and build up
5. Practice very slow and build up

+1

Also use a metronome and/or: buy Guitar Pro, download a good tab of the solo you wanna learn (or tab your own), and use the "speed trainer" tool.
3. Notes sounding dinky up high is very often an accuracy issue. So...

3. Practice very slow and build up.
Well,

Maybe you're simply a rythm guitarist. The singer of our band can play each rythm while singing and can palm mute like ****, twice the speed as me. BUT, when it comes to soloing he ****s up like he just plays 2 weeks.
So he does rythm, i do the lead. No problem on that. Of course, each man on this earth wants to be the slash or the angus and not the izzy or the malcolm...

Otherwise:
The songs that you listed up are all pretty fast. I mention u to just start with slow solos.
Like the first Solo of Knocking On Heavens Door by GnR. Not to fast but relly impressive to others (especially woman ^^) It also gives u a feel for the pentatonic.

my 2 cents.