I've been looking into some new distortion and in my research I have been seeing that a lot of the new Metal bands (Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying) use the Maxon overdrive. I have never been able to get a "Metal" sound of an overdrive pedal. Is it the amp that is doing most of the work? Basically, How are they doing it?
They are just boosting the amp's distortion with the overdrive. All the overdrive does is add a tiny bit of gain and "tightens" the tone up.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
the overdrive just adds a little on top of what the amp already has, if you want alot of distortion a fuzz or distortion pedal is the way to go, but your usually better off just using your amps distortion and boosting it with an OD
BOSS METAL ZONE FOR THE BROOOOOOTALZZZZZ!

Haha. No.

Use the overdrive to send a strong signal to your preamp which gives it that distorted wall of sound.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I play through a Peavey Valveking 2x12 never really messed with the distortion on it.
Quote by Aftergone
I play through a Peavey Valveking 2x12 never really messed with the distortion on it.

Crank your gain to see if it gives you sufficient distortion. However, I think the VK may need a distortion pedal, not sure if an OD will be able to push it into metal territory.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Crank your gain to see if it gives you sufficient distortion. However, I think the VK may need a distortion pedal, not sure if an OD will be able to push it into metal territory.

I've heard the Valveking with a bad monkey in front and it definitely had sufficient gain.