To record I use reaper, gearbox software and my line 6 toneport. Normally when I record I will use the built in metronome in the gearbox software, but I guess I made a song that has several different timings and what not. One part is 100 bpm, another part is 175 and stuff like that. How do you all go about recording these variable timed songs with a metronome?
Use reapers metronome and put markers up where you want to change time sigs or tempos.
Sig.
Use the reaper metronome.

Set time markers via this shortcut [Shift+C]

Then enter your timing a go to town.

Make sure metronome is enabled via [Options - Metronome Enabled]

Done and done.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
How do I know when to set the markers though? Im trying to lay down the first track and have no idea where each marker should be placed
Record up until the time change then stop. Place the marker, and record the rest.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by bboyjon
How do I know when to set the markers though? Im trying to lay down the first track and have no idea where each marker should be placed

Do you know how to count bars? If you do then that's all there is to it. Since you wrote the song you should know how many times each part is repeated and approx. how many bars each part is. Do the math.