Hi guys. Just wanting some advice on which guitar would be better to get? I play in a band that kinda sounds like a cross between Muse, Metallica, R.E.M. and Leonard Cohen...and I'm wanting to ship in a new guitar soon.

At the moment I'm tossing up the Godin XTSA and a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

I'm pretty set on getting a Vox VT50 amp too.

What should I get? Or should I get something completely different like a Mex Strat or Tele?

I live in New Zealand so importing from the US is my only option unless I want to sell my house for a guitar lol.

Thanks already
Get a tube amp.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
That VT50 may not be a true tube amp, but I have played one and it sounds killer. Plus it has a tube pre amp, and its Vox . Just looked up the ValveKing. Sounds ok, but its pretty expensive brand new. I might look for used. But the VT50 is a mint deal for what it is.
Of those two, the Godin is probably the nicer guitar to play. I'm not a fan of cut-price Gibsons, so I'm a bit biased. I'm wondering if a good LP copy from the Far East might be a better deal down your way.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I live in Quebec, and here the Godin cost like half of the price you guys pay in the US or overseas.

When I studied Jazz guitar in College, most of the guys there owned Gibsons, Fenders...classics. And when they tried my entry-level Godin LG, they were all blown away
by the quality, playability and general feel of it. Very versatile guitars, will play anything!
i like godins dont have one but they normally play pretty sweet
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
Quote by patton686
I live in Quebec, and here the Godin cost like half of the price you guys pay in the US or overseas.

When I studied Jazz guitar in College, most of the guys there owned Gibsons, Fenders...classics. And when they tried my entry-level Godin LG, they were all blown away
by the quality, playability and general feel of it. Very versatile guitars, will play anything!

+1, I have an entry level Godin (A Detour) and it plays better than Jacksons and Ibanez that are double what it costed.
Have a ValveKing 112 And Both a Godin LG and a Freeway classic Myself and can say that you won't go wrong with any of these.
My Gear-
Godin LG-SP90
Godin Freeway Classic
Fender MIJ Squire Strat Waynes World edition
Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo Rustic
Samick P copy Bass
Fiesta Classical

Peavey ValveKing 112
Peavey Audition 30
Traynor TVM10
Fender Frontman 25R
I have a Godin LG Signature, and have ordered a Godin Passion RG-3 (pics when I get it ).

I live in Australia, so feel the pain when it comes to the prices of guitars. I came across the Godin after trying every guitar in the AUD$1500 price range. The Godin beat them all. I highly recommend them, and after trying out a couple it seems that their quality control is much better than the larger brands, including Gibson.

Says the Godin groupie
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hear this;*Godin's factory is a 1:30 drive from here, and...you're pretty sure to know one person who knows somebody working there. I don't, but a middle-aged woman at the job told this to me last year;

-Her; "Oh, so you do play guitar uh?"
-Me; "Uh...yeah"
-Her; "My step brother works at that guitar factory near Montreal...what is it again?"
-Me; "Godin guitars?"
-Her; "Yeah that's it, anywayz every christmas he brings us guitars that had default and B-stocks."
-Me; "Really??? naice" (hope was sweating from my eyes at this point)
-Her; "Yeah! But since he's not supposed to keep it, we give them to our childrens"
-Me; "Okay? So what, you tell them to not bring it out of the house?"
-Her; "No no no, they smash it against the walls in the basement! Haha imagine them! They're all happy!"

I'll let you judge this.
Quote by patton686
Hear this;*Godin's factory is a 1:30 drive from here, and...you're pretty sure to know one person who knows somebody working there. I don't, but a middle-aged woman at the job told this to me last year;

-Her; "Oh, so you do play guitar uh?"
-Me; "Uh...yeah"
-Her; "My step brother works at that guitar factory near Montreal...what is it again?"
-Me; "Godin guitars?"
-Her; "Yeah that's it, anywayz every christmas he brings us guitars that had default and B-stocks."
-Me; "Really??? naice" (hope was sweating from my eyes at this point)
-Her; "Yeah! But since he's not supposed to keep it, we give them to our childrens"
-Me; "Okay? So what, you tell them to not bring it out of the house?"
-Her; "No no no, they smash it against the walls in the basement! Haha imagine them! They're all happy!"

I'll let you judge this.

WTF?
Quote by LGSP90
Have a ValveKing 112 And Both a Godin LG and a Freeway classic Myself and can say that you won't go wrong with any of these.

ya probably do wat this dude said.......the freeway classic and the lg are both very awsome guitars but i never got to try out the ValveKing 112 amp before......\\

EDIT: woops sorry for double posting
You need to try the VK before you buy it. Some people insist that it sounds ok with a new speaker, but by the time you've spent the money on a new speaker, you could've bought a traynor or something.

And I'm not saying this to be snobbish but the Valveking to my ears sounds horrible. I guess the clean channel is ok, and I could get by using the clean channel and a box of rock, but the overdrive channel is seriously muddy and sounds about as lifeless and solid state-like as you can get on a tube amp.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 17, 2009,
Thanks for the feedback guys! I will try and find a VK to play on this weekend. Anybody know what is similar to play, and soundwise to the xtSA? I can't find any xtSA's in my area.