our band currently has gigs booked and i need an amp fast, for a practice i've been using a crate half stack which has given a nice crunchy tone, i also use a fender strat and we play mainly rock/punk music, like against me/polar bear club/hot water music, any advice? i'm pretty much new to amps so take it easy on me
it's not mine, its the studio where we rehearse's, so i need to buy one, my budget is 400-450
If your in a real bind and want a stack real quick, check out a Peavey Windsor. If you don't mind a stack or combo i'd tell you to get a Line 6 Spider III combo, 150 watt or 120 watt.
If you can manage $500, you can get the (really rather good) Kustom Defender:

A good offer if you just want a cheap temporary amp, 18W all-valve for $150:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=487051V

Not by any means a great amp, but for the price it's ideal as a stop-gap gigging amp until you've got a little more time/money to work out what exactly you want.
My first gig was a blast. I used my old Spider III, it was fine, but I needed more thump, and the PA didnt capture the sound the way I like. But, alas, it was a Spider. So upgraded to a Fender FM100 Half stack (Loud as the devil), and added a few pedals, it works great. I like the simplicity of a big rig with simple pedals. Modulators are great for recording, but managing the shortboard was a chore, and I didnt have the on the fly functionality thay I wanted. Dont get me started on "Channel Volume" either.

Your crate should be fine in any bar. A stack is great for a big club, but most tube amps like to be cranked, and that is something that you may not be able to do in a small venue.

I saw a guy play in a rock n roll cover band with a Fender Tube Combo, probably a twin reverb, or a deville. It sounded great, mic'd up of course, but it was awesome! Dont let size fool you. A good sound man can make a lot of things sound great.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
A Peavey Windsor will give you good crunch/rock tones, and the 100w half stack is only $400
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
If you're new to gigging and don't have a van/bus, I really recommend you avoid going down the half-stack route. Grab either a combo or a head+2x12 at most, but any bigger than that and it'll become awkward and heavy, without any real benefit.

There's loads of much better deals to be had by buying used - have a look through your local Craigslist/eBay and if there's anything you like the look of, post it here for an opinion.