So I quit guitar a little while ago and stayed with bass, but I am looking to get back into guitar... When I played guitar I had an RG2ex1 that had EMG designed pick ups that I liked a lot, i was looking to get another one, but i've noticed that now they come with a V7 and V8 pick up... how are these compared to the former EMG designed pick ups.
the v7 and v8 is what comes stock with most prestiges. They are alright pickups. Lack luster compared to non stock ibanez ones, but def better than alot of stock ibz pups
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
the v7 and v8 is what comes stock with most prestiges. They are alright pickups. Lack luster compared to non stock ibanez ones, but def better than alot of stock ibz pups

Significantly better than the Powersounds.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Significantly better than the Powersounds.

very much so. Next to the dimz/emgs and dim desinged ibz's, the v7 and v8 are the best option of pups that come stock with ibanez. And its not bad.
edit: I liked them better than any emg designed pup i tried. Seemed a little bit, clearer/cleaner
Quote by enselmis
Toss in some BK's and you'll be smokin.

That phrase or something along that line about BKP seems to be the in-thing on UG recently.

For the record, the V7 and V8 are decent stock pickups.

I find them better than most pickups you tend to get stock with guitars, but they just don't approach aftermarket standards.

Decent pickups, definitely very usable. However, they're not great pickups that'd you write home about.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
That phrase or something along that line about BKP seems to be the in-thing on UG recently.

its been that way for a while , or at least as long as iv been here. From clips they sound great. I just never tried them or heard them in person so i cant judge or recommend them seeming as how im in the states( i wont recommend stuff i havent personally tried). So i stick to the SD's , dims, bill Lawrences, emgs etc etc
Quote by mexican_shred
its been that way for a while , or at least as long as iv been here. From clips they sound great. I just never tried them or heard them in person so i cant judge or recommend them seeming as how im in the states( i wont recommend stuff i havent personally tried). So i stick to the SD's , dims, bill Lawrences, emgs etc etc

I've not started to notice the trend recently. Well maybe because suddenly I've walked into a number of posts and see that line being bantered.

I think you should try them, given the opportunity. They're great. I've not had the urge to change pickups ever since I changed all my pickups to Bare Knuckles.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
So The V7/V8's are pretty much the same as the EMG designed pick ups?

I really liked the EMG designed pick ups, matched the music I was playing really well... (metalcore/deathcore)
Quote by ragingkitty
I've not started to notice the trend recently. Well maybe because suddenly I've walked into a number of posts and see that line being bantered.

I think you should try them, given the opportunity. They're great. I've not had the urge to change pickups ever since I changed all my pickups to Bare Knuckles.

its cyclical

Ill give it a go if i ever get a chance to play any in texas. Im content right now with my Dims tho. Suit my playing style for the current momment.

^if you liked the emg designed then the v7 v8 change shouldnt be any problem
Quote by mexican_shred
its cyclical

Ill give it a go if i ever get a chance to play any in texas. Im content right now with my Dims tho. Suit my playing style for the current momment.

^if you liked the emg designed then the v7 v8 change shouldnt be any problem

Definitely try them if you ever get the chance. Also remember that BKP does pup exchanges so long as you do not snip the conductor cables.

TS: As MS mentioned, the V7 and V8 should be decent for your uses. Its fairly gain friendly and has good note and chord clarity, unlike the Powersound pups.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 16, 2009,
My Ibanez has these (v7/8) Pickups, and i agree with everyone else in the thread, they're not bad at all but have nothing on Dimarzios/SDs. I've found they're very similar to the older EMG designed pickups
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey