Hey UG, I've just finished junior college, and have a couple of years for self-discovery, which are to be used for, among other things, guitar practice.

I normally live in Denmark, land of overly expensive gear (double the USA prices! ), but I'm on vacation in the LA area, and I was thinking I would pick up something for inspirational and motivational purposes, hopefully saving some money by smuggling it past customs on my way home.

I have a Fender deville amp, a Carvin electric with a Floyd Rose, and assorted basic pedals, as well as a Yamaha accoustic and my starter electric. The amp is great for what it does (clean and classic lead tones), but limited, and I have trouble recording stuff at a decent quality. The Carvin is a real nice guitar, especially for lead guitar, but the whammy kind of makes bending and open chords sound less than great - it tends to sound slightly out of tune a lot of the time. I kinda regret the whammy, as I never use it, I'm pining for a "classic" guitar, I like pretty much everything I hear, but my favorite songs are from the big 70's bands.

So, I've been juggling some ideas, and am considering a X3/XT for effects, recording, easy practice, and general fooling around. And/or getting a new electric - probably some kind of Les Paul, an Epiphone (Elitist if I can find one used.) Some effects look really cool, though, I think talk boxes sound like a LOT of fun. (I have a Bad Monkey, Metal Muff, and Vox Wah).

I got around 1000 dollars max. to use, and I'd really like to hear any ideas/recommendations anybody has, especially if you've been in a similar situation, some of you guys are bound to have been. And if you live in the Orange County area and know any places, please mention them! I've only seen the local GC so far.

Thanks!
I would get a used Gibson SG or a American Fender Strat, Should be in the 700+ range. Or if you are lucky you can sometimes find a Les Paul Classic on craigslist for 1k.
there is a HUUUUGE Guitar Center in Hollywood/LA (look at their site and check where exactly) and im sure they would have plenty of used gear along with pedals and such.

Otherwise, search around here for the gear you want.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/1272186280.html LP studio, not sure if its what you are looking for
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=electric%20guitar%20gibson

some more links, sorry if its a double post
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
To make this a bit easier, why don't you block off the Tremolo system .Thos way the carvin will act as a standard guitar.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
So you guys would recommend a Gibson LP studio?

I've played a couple of Fenders, I'll have to try a couple out and consider them.

And I've considered blocking the tremolo system, but tbh I'd rather have the Carvin as what it is, and get something else with a stabile bridge.