Ok, so I've been playing around with a basic recording set-up for the past few months, learning tricks here and there along the way. As a result, the quality of my recordings has gone from abysmal to something I'm not completely embarrassed to share . No, it's no fantastic mix, and that's the point of this thread. I'm here for advice on how to make my recordings sound really good, or at least better. I think the weakest link is probably the drum samples, and possibly the bass lines, (compression issues) but you tell me. I'd like the input of other ears and opinions. This is a link to a short little riff progression I made and recorded, done in a metal/hard rock style. (Some parts are a bit sloppy, but it was simply recorded for learning purposes, so I wasn't too worried about fixing it)

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/FlightofIcarus/music/all/play658100

For technical data concerning how this recording was made, I used an SM57 running through a PreSonus Inspire to record the guitar tracks. I recorded bass direct-in through the Inspire, and use a free bass amp plug-in called BIG to help improve that. Drums were done using various samples I've acquired on here, and were arranged using Modplug Tracker. Here is frequency boost/cut info that might help guys help me.

Guitars: A little bit of cut in the upper mids/high end to help other things cut through (The lead/octave part has a bit of boost around 3.5 KHZ, and much of the low end cut off)
Bass: Cut below 100 hz, boost around 500 hz
Kick: Lower frequencies cut, moderate boost at 5 KHZ
Snare: Boost around 1 KHZ and 4 KHZ
Overheads: Not much really, just the lows rolled off/subtle boost/cuts around the high end.

I used T-racks Compressor and Limiter to help fine-tune the recording a bit and bring the mix to a louder volume, but don't know too much about what I'm doing yet to be honest. I also used Compressor on the bass track, but seem to still be getting uneven volume.

I probably forgot some things, but feel free to ask me anything that might allow you to better help me. All comments/tips/advice/constructive criticism welcome. Thanks!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I don't know enough about recording to tell you what to fix, but it certainly does sound good so far. I would be proud of this, if I were in your position. I do hear a buzz in the background all the way through the track, however.
Yeah, that buzzing is most likely the hum from the amp/the bass. I need to play further from the computer or rearrange things in the room I think.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

-Unacceptable noise levels, chop out the parts where the guitar is not playing so that it isn't noticable

-guitars sound pretty good

-where is the kick drum?

-more bass guitar needed.

Any chance you could share the raw files for people on here to mix?
Well, I went ahead and gave the mix more kick and bass, and it does seem to make it fuller sounding, but about the guitar parts, I think I'm better off re-recording them than trying to edit out the noise, as I can even notice it when the guitar is playing. What's a good way to get as little noise as possible in the recording? I don't have a noise gate pedal, so I'm gonna have to either move the amp around, or play in another room or something.

What's a good site to host files for that? I'll be able to upload raw files in the next day or so.
Okay, got a chance to upload separate raw tracks for those who might be interested in trying to mix them as help. Still kinda new to the whole dropbox thing, so, I wasn't quite sure how to link it all to one folder, rather than posting a bunch of individual links like I am here.

Much kudos to anyone willing to take their time doing this just to help a fellow UGer out!

EDIT: $%T^!, looks like the only way I can share the raw files through dropbox is if one of you who is willing to mix these PM's me your e-mail so I can add you to a shared folder. Seems I can't make accessing the files completely public :/
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jul 17, 2009,
just put them all in a .zip file and upload that

include a little notepad document with the tempo and any other information too.
Last edited by TheDriller at Jul 17, 2009,
Dude, I hate to tell you this, but you really need a noise suppressor. It would totally cut out that buzzing noise, and the track would go from pretty good, to really something you could work with. A Boss pedal noise suppressor shouldn't cost too much after doing some digging around. Drums fit very nicely as well, pretty good stuff man!
Very big change, in a good way. Thanks! but, would you care to share your secrets on how you got it to sound that way? (Either here or via PM). Also, Any tips on getting my guitar tracks to sound a bit meatier? I'm not going for extreme amounts of low end in my tone, but my guitar tracks can sound a bit on the thin side at times. Or should I just stick with this and let the bass fill in the low end?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jul 18, 2009,
bump

(anyone else is still welcome to share good advice too)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Anyone?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60