Page 1 of 9
Okay pit, so I'm fairly open minded when it comes to music. I personally like Metal, Rock, Blues, Reggae and even classical, and I can understand why other people like other genres of music. The one thing that eludes me currently, though, is peoples adoration of techno. I cannot see any appeal behind this genre, which to me sounds like a computer being kicked down a set of stairs. This may just be me being cynical, but, in any case, please enlighten me Pit to why people can tolerate, nay, enjoy techno "music".

divid3d edit:
THERE ARE TO BE NO MORE COMMENTS MADE ABOUT NEEDING TO BE ON DRUGS TO ENJOY ELECTRONIC MUSIC - IF YOU POST SOMETHING STUPID LIKE THIS YOU MAY RECEIVE A WARNING.

contribute to the thread in a productive way, or gtfo.
It is upbeat, and it hypnotizes. It's good dance music. This is for me, though.

I agree with you and would also like an answer.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
because some people have different opinions than you.
PeaceLoveUnityRespect
Because it's fun to move around to....if you're the type of person who likes moving around
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
People are different.

Thus, people like different things and have different tastes. Some things people don't get. Personally, I doubt I'll ever understand why we have a llama emote and not one for a goose.

When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
it's 100% based on catchiness, there is nothing else to it. those that enjoy synth melodies and simplicity dig it. it is not really for the "raw", "traditional", "complex" music lovers.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
1. Searchbar?

Quote by guitarsftw
it's 100% based on catchiness, there is nothing else to it. those that enjoy synth melodies and simplicity dig it. it is not really for the "raw", "traditional", "complex" music lovers.

Bullshit. Go listen to Vicious Delicious by infected Mushroom and then tell me there's none of these things in EDM.

3. Searchbar?
Quote by count schizo
I think we should take a second out to flame him anyways. I mean we're already here.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Only a misguided youth seeking something to take up the space below their post would sig me

^ Yep, that sounds about right.
Quote by guitarsftw

That's absolute bullshit.
I am going to assume because of the pure ignorance in this thread that you guys are lumping all electronic dance music in the "techno" genre. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Techno does indeed suck. That Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk stuff is pretty terrible. But there are some electronic acts that are just as talented as performers in any genre of music. For example, the breakdowns in electronica are, from a compositional point of view, far more complex and subtle than your general metal breakdowns. The way they take apart complex beats and put them back together is mind-boggling.

It may not seem like "real" music because they aren't playing traditional instruments, which is a regular complaint from people who aren't into it, but performance isn't everything. The sheer amount of musical theory applied by these acts is astounding.

If you want to hear some good electronic music, start with the Chemical Brothers, the Crystal Method, and perhaps Squarepusher. Once you get a taste for it, you'll be able to pick out whichever genres you really like, and it's easier to separate the sh!t from the gold.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Do you by techno you mean the specific genre of techo or just dance kinda music as a whole?

Anyway, to answer your question, it's not designed for home listeing but playing on big club systems, to be danced to. Also, some people like the sounds and textures available from synths. By using electronic drums you can get a bigger, more pounding beat then would be possible with acoustic drums....
Why don't you just stop looking for an answer? If you don't like it, you don't like it. If someone tells you that you're not being open-minded enough, just tell this person that he is a hippy douchebag and go on with your day.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Im not a huge techno fan but a new genre called glitch hop is really interesting me

As someone who likes music for its complexity there is nothing more complex then a glitch hopp track, go look up artists such as edIT, Krazzy, And Boretta, and then come back and say that techno cant be complex and interesting. The first time i listened to some of this stuff, it blew my mind.

For someone who has never listened to it though, i reccomend you download "crying over pros for no reason" the album is by the artist edIT
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
Quote by guitarsftw

Thats a complete load of crap.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
It gets into rhythm with my mind, and composers basically have to rely on ear and pure emotion to make it. It is harder than you think.
I don't see why it's so great either. It depresses me, and it used to make me cry when I was little.
XIAOXI
I used to agree with you until I went to Ibiza. You have to experience it in its natural habitat; in a crowded overpriced club with drunk assholes around you and women who are at least 50 percent plastic dancing on a stage.

After that I understand its catchiness.
Quote by blynd_snyper
You have to experience it in its natural habitat; in a crowded overpriced club with drunk assholes around you and women who are at least 50 percent plastic dancing on a stage.

So everyone can go home with and bang a woman with breasts bigger than her brain a summed body figure higher than her IQ?

Hehe. Sorry, not trying to be mean, but I could not resist the opportunity.

As for me, I cannot understand the appeal of techno. Yes the composers may use a lot complex rhythms and theory to construct the music, but the song seem so simplistic.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 16, 2009,
Only good when you're dancing
/thread
Can't stop the spirits when they need you This life is more than just a read thru
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
Okay pit, so I'm fairly open minded when it comes to music. I personally like Metal, Rock, Blues, Reggae and even classical, and I can understand why other people like other genres of music. The one thing that eludes me currently, though, is peoples adoration of techno. I cannot see any appeal behind this genre, which to me sounds like a computer being kicked down a set of stairs. This may just be me being cynical, but, in any case, please enlighten me Pit to why people can tolerate, nay, enjoy techno "music".

you've probably only heard crappy commercial stuff. it's like judging all rock music after listening to simple plan.
Quote by guitarsftw

absolute rubbish. you make it sound like all electronic music is the same, but there are as many or even more different genres in electronic music than 'rock' music, and they are all significantly different from each other.

for example, i'd say this is pretty "raw" and it's certainly not about pretty melodies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NOg812WUBM

if people are prepared to have a serious and mature discussion about this topic, and maybe open your minds a little, then i'll leave this thread open and maybe be able to give you all some insight into electronic music. whether this is successful or not is up to you.

oh yeah, something else i wanted to address:

Quote by Altered_Carbon
I am going to assume because of the pure ignorance in this thread that you guys are lumping all electronic dance music in the "techno" genre. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Techno does indeed suck. That Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk stuff is pretty terrible.

tiesto and pvd are trance artists, not techno.
from daylight...
...into darkness
well, coming from someone that has produced electronic music (assuming that when you say techno you mean all genres of electronica), id like to throw in my 2 cents.

ive made innumerable amounts of rock songs, classic rock, metal, grindcore, riffs, solos, breakdowns, tons of stuff.

ive also made a ton of electronic music, spanning multiple genres, far too many to name, and i must say:

electronic music is a thousand times more complex. i mean, there are certainly very complex and intelligent metal songs (tool, meshuggah, liquid tension experiment) but i seem to find that there are more subtle things in electronic music that take a while to pick up on.

but, its really unfair to be generalizing all of metal and all of electronica as i just have, so you can kind of ignore what i said if you want. back to the question at hand, people like electronica for the same reasons you like metal. it sounds nice.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
ITT: we can't tell between techno and EDM

Just FYI, techno is usually not on TV or in clubs. You are probably thinking of drum and bass or house. Consult Ishkur's Guide and get back to me.
unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce

How can you not love that?
kill all humans
Last edited by alaskan_ninja at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by alaskan_ninja
unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce

Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
any more spam and this thread will be closed. grow up.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Some electronic music is brilliant. Stuff from Vangelis (Blade Runner soundtrack = beauty) and Aphex Twin are my favourites, although I'm not too well versed in the genre.
You may not like it because you grew up with music made most entirely with natural instruments, and can't accept anything different. Or it may be that the techno you've heard doesn't meet your taste or technical standards. If it is the latter you should dig up lots because electronic music have loads of good stuff.
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
Quote by guitarsftw

How ironic considering the vast majority rock and metal are based around the same riffs played over and over again as the underlying melody
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Cianyx

How ironic considering the vast majority rock and metal are based around the same riffs played over and over again as the underlying melody

Yeah, genres aren't either complex or simple.

You'll find complex and simple music in every genre, I thought that was obvious......perhaps not.
Firstly, not all electronic music is techno. Secondly, be open minded and search around for the style that suits you. Electronic music is a very wide genre.

For me, I listen to ambient house and progressive house. It chills me out and creates an atmosphere that I love, also makes me want to go to europe for some reason

Quote by alaskan_ninja
unce unce

How can you not love that?

That's the second time I remember you posting that.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Ok firstly, define what you mean by techno...trance? hardstyle? what? Before I began listening to it, I just called it all "techno" but yeah...vastly different.

Secondly, I'll assume you are talking about trance and hardstyle, and I enjoy them because it's like an instrumental piece...yet with synth most of the time, it has some nice melodies and "riffs" if you will. Listen to some Presets (probably what you called techno) and some Digitalism (also techno) and then maybe some more hardstyle/trance i.e DJ Tiesto and you'll get what I mean by good melodies.

edit: Also good for dancing too...can't exactly dance to rock...
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
i think its the feeling of being hypnotised and moved by the beat and music. and the complexity
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by Novacane...
Yeah, genres aren't either complex or simple.

You'll find complex and simple music in every genre, I thought that was obvious......perhaps not.

I merely pointed out that Rock and metal aren't any more complex than techno.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by guitarsftw

So much fail
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by Cianyx
I merely pointed out that Rock and metal aren't any more complex than techno.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you, it was aimed at someone who posted earlier.