Page 1 of 10
Zombat
Why Make it Unoriginal?
559 IQ
Well, I suppose I'll start my own thread for this sorta thing, seeing as how I'm designing my own body and all.

On to it!

This is the updated deisgn. I wanted it to be a mix of a fender-esque body silouhette design, mixed with the SG bevelling wood type, and sound. I've decided to call it the 'Fusion'

So I bought the Mahogany, Milled it down, and began to file away the bevel. In retrospect, I probably should Have done the cavities first off so It could be centered easily ... live and learn.

----------
Bevel taking more shape, knob positions and cavities taped out (not perfect ... just general taping)

-----------
Neck, Pickups (burstbuckers), Electronics (pots, wires, switch, jack) bridge came in, so I could finally start coring out the body.

-----------
Because school ended, and thus I had no shop, I couldn't really do much. So, I fooled around with colors and with the neck. i've decided on a Warm Red to Orange burst thing. however, the pegboard is wrong. Originally, I had wanted to do a Trey Anastasio pegboard, However with time I deemed that to be unoriginal, not to mention it didn't really go with the body. So I came up with a new headstock (can be seen in the design picture) which I've decided to use.

So I'm back in a shop for at least an hour a day ... hopefully it'll get done in the next 4 weeks. Or at least the body, and the finish.

I've changed it so that instead of a flat face, its a smooth, curved bevel like in the design pic. I've also Begun to router out the tremolo cage and electronics cavity. Once thats done, I'll use some thin planks of mahogany (1/2 inch) to make cavity covers for the tremolo and electronics , trace their outline, and router out on those lines 1/2" in so they sink evenly in.

Whee. this is fun. I want to make more ... I even have another design ... this time for a bass.
Cmogi10
Team Slut
840 IQ
very cool, looks real nice

congrats and good luck
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

chrisb0109
UG Luthier
120 IQ
Its looking really good. Is the neck mahogany as well? What about the fretboard?

Where did you get your materials?
Looking to renounce your freedom? Vote Republicrat.

www.lp.org
PaperPistols
always a newb
173 IQ
i think i would look sweet with a trans black flame top. fits the guitars personality
Velvet Revolver is the future
nirvanaozzie
Exploded, done, finito
483 IQ
Damn all you people who have the willpower, initiative and tools to actually build your own guitars...

Good luck with it, that looks like alot of fun, great to see you came up with your own body shape!
www.seymourduncan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5
www.artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Forum_Music
www.toneninja.net

Texas law allows you to kill someone if you can prove they had intent to damage your property.
chrisb0109
UG Luthier
120 IQ
recently there seems to be alot of people vuilding their own guitar or atleast thinking about doing it.

www.lp.org
Cmogi10
Team Slut
840 IQ
i wish i could build one...

but im perfectly content finding bargains on parts and putting one together
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

TomD03
(B)asshole
1,665 IQ
i really wanna build one from scratch, but i don't have any tools to do so
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
chrisb0109
UG Luthier
120 IQ
Originally posted by Cmogi10
i wish i could build one...

but im perfectly content finding bargains on parts and putting one together

especially when one of the pieces is custom made for you.

www.lp.org
Cmogi10
Team Slut
840 IQ
damn straight!
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

TGM
Transistor Tubes
238 IQ
Looks nice, I kinda like it.

It definatly is unique.

"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
chrisb0109
UG Luthier
120 IQ
did you make the neck in the picture?

www.lp.org
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Yeah, looking sharp.

Where'd you get your materials?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
MiniBassist
UG's Incompetant Oaf
313 IQ
Originally posted by chrisb0109
did you make the neck in the picture?

No i think he said somewhere else that he was building the body but getting a neck off warmoth. Not sure though.

Also thats not an original body style, i can't remember which guitar uses it but i've seen it somewhere but hey looks really good.

Wish i had the tools to build my own bass, but i don't so i guess i'm going to have to buy one.

Edit: ignore what i said about the neck i was mixing him up with someone else.... arrrggghhh too many people building guitars.
Originally posted by Mr_Zakk_Wylde
the droz, your village called...their missing thier idiot.
Click
Damien94
yay me
10 IQ
Originally posted by MiniBassist
No i think he said somewhere else that he was building the body but getting a neck off warmoth. Not sure though.

Also thats not an original body style, i can't remember which guitar uses it but i've seen it somewhere but hey looks really good.

Wish i had the tools to build my own bass, but i don't so i guess i'm going to have to buy one.

Edit: ignore what i said about the neck i was mixing him up with someone else.... arrrggghhh too many people building guitars.

i think your thinking of a fernandes ravelle
Zombat
Why Make it Unoriginal?
559 IQ
Fernandez Ravelle? never seen it before you mentioned it ... and even so, its still much different.

Got some more pictures:
Front

Back

with neck:

I bought the neck off stewmac, and i'll be re-inlaying it to suit my liking, and binding it if I can. The wood I got at a nearby woodstore, and the electronics off of stewmac and a nearby guitar store.
chrisb0109
UG Luthier
120 IQ
Thats looking great. I love the beveling on the edges.

www.lp.org
dark_guy
Hmz.
154 IQ
Great shape on the body, looking good!
Ibanez RG2550E Prestige
Squier Bullet
Roland Cube 30W
TGM
Transistor Tubes
238 IQ
The way it's contoured, it looks like it will be very comfortable.

You did a great job, I can't see any flaws in it. Have you done this before?
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Zombat
Why Make it Unoriginal?
559 IQ
Chris - thanks

Dark_guy - Thansk!

TGM - It is very comfortable ... the point at the end allows for much arm support and clean strumming ... or at least from what I can tell so far.

I've never done this before.
cconq9
Led Hot Chili Pepplin
21 IQ
It looks kind of like a... ****ing... I dunno James Hetfield used one at the end of the MTV Icon thang.
chrisb0109
UG Luthier
120 IQ
Originally posted by cconq9
It looks kind of like a... ****ing... I dunno James Hetfield used one at the end of the MTV Icon thang.

kind of like a what?

www.lp.org
Jaeger
UG Wiring Guru
84 IQ
that was an ESP. and looked nothing like this.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
Zombat
Why Make it Unoriginal?
559 IQ
Updates: Routed out the tremolo cavity, drilled holes for pots. Tomorrow I rout out electronics cavity, make covers for electronics and for trem cavity.

Can someone with chrome covered humbuckers do me a favor and measure out the height that they protrude off the body?
Zombat
Why Make it Unoriginal?
559 IQ
made the cavities for the switch, pots today. Very pleased with myself. Tomorrow I make covers for each, then its on to how I'm going to drill holes to wire it. once that is done, then it'll be time to stain the beast,wire it and put it together.

argh. does anyone notice that the stupid ads take up so much bandwith that they make typing slow down? its really annoying.
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
thats looking very nice man. you are doing a very professional job on this. i think you are gonna be really happy with it.
TomD03
(B)asshole
1,665 IQ
wow man, congradulations
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Zombat
Why Make it Unoriginal?
559 IQ
Originally posted by tibs
im still wondering how you gonna drill for wires

Yeeg, me too. I'm thinking a really really long drill bit at a low angle from switch cavity to humbucker to humbucker to pot cavity. or something. SUGGESTIONS WOULD KICK ASS
chrisb0109
UG Luthier
120 IQ
Originally posted by Zombat
Yeeg, me too. I'm thinking a really really long drill bit at a low angle from switch cavity to humbucker to humbucker to pot cavity. or something. SUGGESTIONS WOULD KICK ASS

that is exactly what you are going to have to do. Go in at as shallow of an angle as you can. Drill as far as you can without coming out of either the fron of the back of the guitar.

Then if the hole doesn't reach all of the way, drill another hole from the other side and make the holed meet up.

there is really no other way to do it.

www.lp.org
spiderman
Ug's Senoir Psycho
68 IQ
that looks sweet except if it all gets messed up doing the wiring i would want to do smeothing like that ..

how much did it cost so far?
Originally posted by Crossover00
I have ADD, but I think I made a choice a long time ago not to pay attention.
Member of Remember Mitch Hedberg
TGM
Transistor Tubes
238 IQ
OH, if you just drill a hole from the pups to the cavity, makes sure you do this:

When you wire the guitar, attach a piece of string with a wight (needle) to the wire. Thread the needle through the hole, then pull the wire through. It will save you alot of time trying to push the wire.
Zombat
Why Make it Unoriginal?
559 IQ

My dream is starting to be realized.

I've drilled all necessary holes. I've got to plug up a hole that had to be made in order to connect the electronics to the pickups. Then I've got to sand it to hell, sheild the cavities, and stain/finish it.

Its stunning to me how close I am to finishing it...
nerdlinger
UG's Drummer
126 IQ
That looks ****ing kick-ass man well done!! Have you done this before?? What did you use to shape the headstock??
SDMF#UG006

Originally posted by HateEternal
Dont drop the soap

chrisb0109
UG Luthier
120 IQ
That looks great. I can't wait to see the finished product.

yesterday IU was talking to the guitar tech at my local shop about the finshing of guitars. He was very knowledgeable and was telling waht was necisary to do a good jod.

It seems to be very complicated. The wood has to be sealed before the stain goes one. Then stain, then clear coat. Be careful when clear coating. Theses things called fish eyes can appear in it. The are like little bubble and they cannot be gotten rid of.

The humidity needs to be very low. That is what cause fish eye, high humidity.

I am in about the same place as you with my project now. I can't wait to finish

www.lp.org