Page 4 of 10
I love it, i don't know how i never saw this thread before as im a regular in this forum

Great work though i just love the stain and everything about it!
fuCKYou
So I just found this thread, read through the entire thing, and watched that beauty come together in about twenty minutes. Talk about an experience. It's beautiful.

The camera angle on the latest picture makes it seem (or realistically) as if the tuners aren't at a steep enough angle to grab the strings without directors (string trees, etc) because that would technicalize the streaming look of the guitar, and ruin the flow of the headstock. But other than that, it's absolutely amazing. Great job.
that really looks incredible. Great job. You should sahre it on that link I gave you.

anyway, I am hopining to get mine clearcoated soo. Would you reccommentd the gloss you used and where could I get it?
Looking to renounce your freedom? Vote Republicrat.

www.lp.org
....Where are the updates my man, Hasnt the rest of the parts come yet?
Quote by givemeaname
My sisters pretty hot aswell
that's pretty nice, dude. there are a couple of minor aesthetic things that i would have done differently, but they're just taste things. having the pots unevenly spaced like that would drive me bonkers, and i would have put some more curve in the horns, just to match the lower curves. maybe even have beveled the horns. but overall, very nice, and that finish is beautiful.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
Looks awesome man. You should be very proud of a guitar like that on your first build. If you ever build a classic guitar(tele, strat, LP) you have got to post it up here because it would probably look amazing coming from someone like you.
Chrisb - Magnalaq high gloss

rifter - the updates haven't been coming because I don't have my camera temporarily.

Jaeger- the pots are spaced apart by compounding numbers:

First and second: 1 inch
second and third: 1.5 inches
third and fourth: 2 inches

the volume controls will be the first and fourth, first for neck, fourth for bridge, and the neck tone will be 2nd, the bridge tone 3rd. I did it because I thought it added aesthetic value. The horns don't curve more, especially the big one because sometimes it mmight interfere with playing (i tried it out on a styrofoam body)

Trash Frog - thanks for the praise however, I'm never going to make a strat/tele/llp/sg/whatever model - I feel it defeats the purpose of making your own. I walked into the guitar center nearby to buy a bag for this thing, and nearly everyone in the store was oogling it - you're not gonna get that with a traditional strat. No, I preferr to come up with my own designs that no one has done before.

---

Updates: The body is dry. two days ago I sanded it up one last time to 1200 grit wetsandpaper (using water during the process speeds it up 10000 fold) then I buffed it by hand ... my arm is still hurting, but the finish looks beautiful. Or looked, rather. I then sheilded each cavity with aluminum foil because I had no metal tape. The foil really didn't do a good job. I'm ordering conductive paint. After that, I wired it completely, plugged it in, and got no sound at all. It was then that I found out I had wired it with a completely incorrect diagram. so, 5 hours of wiring was unsoldered in 20 minutes, then tonight I re-wired it. However, when I plugged it in and tried to play, again, silence. Not sure what I did wrong - perhaps not everything is grounded? I'm pretty sure its all connected right. hrm

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I used this diagram:
(Invalid img)
there's nothing wrong with that diagram.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
Originally posted by Zombat
Trash Frog - thanks for the praise however, I'm never going to make a strat/tele/llp/sg/whatever model - I feel it defeats the purpose of making your own. I walked into the guitar center nearby to buy a bag for this thing, and nearly everyone in the store was oogling it - you're not gonna get that with a traditional strat. No, I preferr to come up with my own designs that no one has done before.

Good point. I love the look of old guitars and ones that have already come out. Ideas for the look of the guitar that works is hard for me. But since your good at it, go for it.
you can't expect it to be that sexy and also work
Could there be something wrong with the amp?
I think that the white and green need to be grounded too...

don't quote me on that however...

check out some more diagrams...

Have you got the wires soldered on to the right parts of the pots? some pots have lots of bits...

you could always have jaeger round for tea I guess lol

That is a really nice guitar.

I like the spacing between the pots.
Should the ground be like, a wire going to every part? I have a feeling its short-circuting somewhere along the lines. The amp works fine, as does the cable so it has to be something with the guitar.

I'm going to re-check everything when I have the time.
IMO Ive would of put a Floyd Rose trem but thats just me
My Rig:

Peavey Wolfgang Standard Dark Cherryburst
Fender Sidekick Reverb 20
Morley Bad Horsie II Contour Wah
Boss SD-1 SuperOverdrive
Ibanez Power Lead
Originally posted by Natetheking
IMO Ive would of put a Floyd Rose trem but thats just me

When I get the money. My next purchase is going to be some nice grover or gotoh tuners so it doesn't go out of tune.
Should the ground be like, a wire going to every part? I have a feeling its short-circuting somewhere along the lines. The amp works fine, as does the cable so it has to be something with the guitar.

I'm going to re-check everything when I have the time.

A ground in electronics terms is a plane with a 0v potentail. In your guitar this is anything metal. You ground the trem with a wire connected to the spring retainer, this is then connected to somewhere metal on the guitar back of the pots being most common. This should work but can be improved, you can put shielding onto your guitar (either tape or paint) in the WHOLE electronics compartment and the spring channel. Stick/solder a metal plate onto it (anywhere) bigger is generally better! Now solder all grounds to THIS no grounds on the pots! (Always ground the strings to it!) Now you should have less buzz and hum due to less ground loops.

Ground loops you say? A ground loop is where you connect a point to ground twice (basically I can't be bothered to get technical today.) This produces a loop (or circuit) which adds noise to th circuit. This is unwanted! If you ground to the tone pots AND shield your compartments you will have a ground loop! The pots are grounded by their shafts touching the shielding, if you then connect a wire to another pot (to connect the ground points) There becomes a loop since the pots are already electrically connected through the sheild. The same goes for sheilded wire (when ONLY the centre core is used for a connection) if both sheilds are grounded you get a looping effect which leads to noise! So the sheild should only be connected at one end if used to simply replace a single conductor wire.

BrianApocalypse: If they are grounded the humbuckers will work in single coil or split mode.

That diagram is correct however, if you are using different pickups than it was designed for it will not work. Check all your joints and makes sure they are shiny and not dull and "gloopy". (If you have one) use a multi-meter (a cheap one is in valuable and they only cost about $10 (educated guess)) check that there is a resistance reading for both pickups, follow this resistance though the circuit (ie. test pickup, test after switch, test after pot, test at jack) This IMO is a great way of finding the fault, if you have a resistance reading up to the pots, check the pots wiring etc.

Congrats on the guitar its looking great.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Thanks a ton!!

Before you posted that, howver, I found a short circut and got rid of it - now there is clearly an electrical circut, as when its plugged in it makes noise when I touch any of the metal parts. However, the pickups pick nothing up, which leads me to suspect a bad connection somewhere. Also, one of the volume pots work when the switch is set to that pickup. However, the other one doesn't work.

Hmm.

When I get more time I'm going to get a multimeter and check over all the connections.

I wish there was a pic of a wired gibson I could look at ...

Arg, this is so aggrivating.
would a pic of a 2 humbucker guitar with 2 volume, 2 tone, and a 3 way switch help?

www.lp.org
ok I'll try to have it up in a few minutes.

www.lp.org
it works. It won't work at the first screen but then when i says account is private and you can reenter it it will work

www.lp.org
nevermind. I pmed them to you

www.lp.org
no problem I hope it helps.

www.lp.org
*Moved To customizing forum*
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Get them into production, i want to buy 1... nice work
Member #4 of the Black Tooth Grin Dimebag Memorial Club. Pm Narmi to join.
#112 Member of the "Linkin Park Sucks" club. PM Whstripesrox to join.
did the wiring work out for you?

www.lp.org
heh, thanks everyone !

Originally posted by chrisb0109
did the wiring work out for you?

I haven't had time to work on it / examine/resize the photos. When I do, I'll be sure to update you.
Fernandez Ravelle? never seen it before you mentioned it ... and even so, its still much different.

Got some more pictures:

I bought the neck off stewmac, and i'll be re-inlaying it to suit my liking, and binding it if I can. The wood I got at a nearby woodstore, and the electronics off of stewmac and a nearby guitar store.

I was just looking at the finished project and then noticed these to pics.

am I just seeing things or is there something fishy about these two pictures?

It seems as though one is left handed and one is right handed.

www.lp.org