Anyone else ever do this? I just tried to make sense of At The Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours, some parts made sense, but others were just plain weird >_<

I also did the same to a few Atheist songs, which i found had more "normal" structure
Play fast while using as much of the fretboard as possible. (Has to sound cool)

No, I really don't know.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I've had a go at Beneath The Massacre...time sigs change quite often, and the key weaves in and out of diminished scales and even some major scales sometimes...really difficult to pick. Some bands like Psycroptic and Necrophagist are relatively easy...nearly always d phrygian dominant or some variant, although Necrophagist's time sigs are a bit of a bugger. Look up the band Theory in Practice; their time signature changes are insane.

Deathspell Omega are a bit of fun too but they aren't death metal as such.
I wanted to play like some of the bands i liked and i though studying their songs would help.

but it took just one song to stop me (i forget which one).

After i gave up i just decided to learn whatever i liked and after a while i was writing and improvising techdeth riffs and strange often longs song structures.

So in the end it all came down to 2 things... Practice and Experience.

If any of you are trying to play techdeth then it's better to practice and learn riffs and/or songs

if not, then have fun dissecting.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
I've done this a lot with Death songs. I'm not sure what other bands in that genre might sound like, but I'm guessing they either use a lot of similar devices or atleast they share a use of uncommon devices in composing.

Just learn whatever songs you're interested in and analyze them. You'll get invaluable knowledge from doing this a lot. When I was really getting hardcore into Death, I spent hours every day learning and practicing the songs. After the songs had a while to settle in me, I analyzed them and found a common occurance in a lot of Chuck Schuldiner's riffs. When you first look at a riff from a band and analyze it, it might seem like chinese or greek. But doing this often you'll find patterns emerging that are often the basis of a certain artist's sound.

for an example, what I found with Chuck Schuldiner, is that the riffs are mostly based on super locrian (or 7th mode of harmonic minor), with pretty much always fifth harmonies, and a lot of chromatics. Also a lot of phrygian dominant with chromatics, and even ocassionaly straight out major scale riffs. Of course you never have to strictly stick to a scale. After I spent a lot of time absorbing Chuck's style, I've managed to come up with some pretty sweet riffs, one of them would appear as like, phrygian, mixolydian, minor, and dorian if you looked at very specific parts of it, but just linking together whatever sounds you have in your head will usually come out with some pretty brutal and original stuff.
If you were making a riff in D super locrian, a D5 would be out of the question, but what's death metal without power chords, right??
A genre as diverse as tech death covers a lot of different sounds and the only way to become familiar with it is by analyzing songs, so good luck man
Last edited by Ead at Jul 16, 2009,
Yeah, I've analyzed a few Death songs, and they're simpler then most other tech-death. But some and still fairly strange. However ATM I'm analyzing/learning At The Gates - Neverwhere and some parts are just like WTF. So many m3 harmonys on this album../.