hey, i watched Freepowers vid on picking motions which was very helpful. I really just want to make sure i understand the motion correctly. Its kinda like if you did a camp wave to someone. or put your hand flat on a table and then lifted your knuckles towards the sky and the fit the table? with this motion does it then mean its possible to do an upstroke with either action (wrist toward the sky or toward floor, when wrist is parallel to floor) depending on the picks angle? heres some examples of what i mean http://www.rorystuart.com/Rory_picking.jpg

so if this guy was to use oscillation now his down stroke would be the towards the sky motion?

Have i just said a lot of nonsense or is this the right idea?

thanks
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by Freepower
You've got the right idea, from the sounds of things.

thanks freepower nice to know, still dont know when im going to dublin yet but il let you know way before to try and sort out a lesson.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
hey sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but i have another kinda question about this. basically if I had my arm lying flat on a table and i lifted my palm off the table (but not my arm) would that be like the upstroke and then hitting the table with my palm would be the downstroke? Is that the idea? how can you actually apply that picking tho cos you cant hit the string, do you have to angle the pick a certain way or angle you actual hand?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Basically, you use the "lift" as a downstroke and the "pat" as the upstroke. In general, only a small amount of oscill motion is used - it's just a little extra snap on a normal pickstroke, and no-one uses any one motion in isolation.
aw okay cool, see thats what i thought but it looks like shawn does it the opposite way if you look closely. could it be the way hes holding the pick and his hand is positioned? oh and sorry freepower but i wont be comin to dublin for a while now cos the trains are so expensive and i have no money hopefully il be able to fly over some time in september. ....

this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jit_KXxhX4&feature=related

seems like shawn does downstrokes with the hitting the table part of the motion
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Jul 26, 2009,