Since three months I play guitar, and I am addicted to it.

I started with a Squier Bullet Strat which is fine, but I am up for something new. I also started with a 15watt Yamaha GA15 amp which sucked big time so I bought a Fender FM212R which is MUCH better but still not that good, I did not ask your advise as I should have.

So now, help me please.

I want a decent set of gear which is good enough for small gigs in cafés because I don't want to buy a new amp again in the next 5 years. The guitar doesn't have to be THAT good because I like to buy new ones as I can.

What I had in mind:

Peavey Valveking 50Watts

Epiphone Les Paul Custom OR Epiphone Korina Explorer (the guitar should NOT be a Strat shaped )

I play mostly Metallica but it is important that I am not too stuck at a certain sort of music because I might switch musicstyles at any time. I want to be pretty flexible but it should be possible to play good metal.

My budget for a Guitar is around 600 euro's and the budget for the amp is as least as possible since I DON'T like buying amps and see it as a must, but I think it should be around 400 euro, but it should be good enough to be satisfied with it for 5 years.

Thanks a lot for help, arguments and other recommendations.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Last edited by RMB at Jul 16, 2009,
Well i use a peavey vypyr 30w, great for metal rock and blues
Gear:

Westone: Thunder 2
BOSS: Heavy Metal HM-2
Marlin: HML 10L
Peavey: Vypyr 30
If its possible you'll switch music styles I wouldn't go for the Explorer. They are a primarly rock/metal looking shape. I have a ESP LTD Explorer and now I want to change it for an Ibanez. They aren't hurrendously uncomfortable to use when sitting down, but make no mistake, the best shapes are always the Strat/Superstrat ones in terms of comfort.
But the vypyr isn't a Tube amp and that means it isn't that good that I am happy with it for the next 5 Years I guess or?

Thanks for the advice James but I forgot to mention that I do not want a Strat shaped guitar anymore.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Last edited by RMB at Jul 16, 2009,
lmao james i soooo want ur guitar :p
Gear:

Westone: Thunder 2
BOSS: Heavy Metal HM-2
Marlin: HML 10L
Peavey: Vypyr 30
For guitar, I'd get the Washburn WI66 Pro. It can handle any kind of music.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
What also is on my mind: "What to buy first, Amp or Guitar"
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Quote by RMB
What also is on my mind: "What to buy first, Amp or Guitar"

guitar. electrics can be heard when played acoustically. ideally it would be to buy both at the same time and get them to the salesman to cut a deal.
Yeah I would do what Phil said and try to get them both at the same time and cut a deal.

Just because the amp is SS doesn't mean that it's not good. Your ears will tell you what you will be happy with for maybe the next year or so. Tastes and preferences in sound change over the years so I don't know what would completely satisfy you for 5 years.

Don't make the budget for your amp as least as possible or you will probably not get an amp that will suit your needs for the next 5 years.

You can get something better than the VK for the money.

And buying amps is hella fun. But I still have 3x more guitars than amps
Go to the best shop near you, one that has a good selection of gear. Pick out the best guitar you can find that suits what you want in a guitar and then find the best possible amp in the shop (relative to what musical styles you want to play most). Get a store person to dial the amp in to the best sounding settings and play this setup for a little while. You'll now have a benchmark in your head from which you can judge good tone (again, relative to your musical tastes).

Next go looking for gear in your price range, using your experience as a guide.

Don't be afraid to ask to play the high end stuff, it's really important YOU get an idea of what is good, your experience is more important than any possible ideals a store employee/owner may hold that might lead them to be snobby about you using their high end stuff for a few minutes.

O yeh, and try EVERYTHING in your price range, starting with the most expensive stuff. Very Important.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 16, 2009,
Thats very good advice! thanks a lot, I will try expencive stuff. Allthough I am afraid that I want the expencive stuff then :P
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW