Page 1 of 2
Im getting this beauty for my B-day (10 days left!!!) but I've heard tons of crap from the tremolo, so, would there be a chance to ask the guitar shop to replace it for a Floyd or something? I dunno if it for example woulden't fit in or something :P

Also heard that one of the pickups, not sure which is it, the neck or something (very unsure about positions, but I know it is Humbucker-single coil - humbucker) that should be changed for a better metall sound... Do you just take out the pickup and replace it with the new one? Or is it some kind of special progress I have to do ? Would any kind of pickup fit in?

for example, I've heard of the famous 81/85 EMG, so if I would buy it, could I just go to a guitar store and they'll just set the mics in ? Would it cost a lot?

That's all I could think of, and btw im inexperienced with guitars that have tremolo systems... so any kind of tip or something would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: snap , forgot last question, so far I've seen 3 different colours, is it exactly the SAME GUITAR with different colors, or do they have small differences? Im reffering to the Black, Yellow-Black and White modell of it (drooooool white modell )
Last edited by pjuckazz at Jul 16, 2009,
1. the trem is not crap peeps just don`t know how to use them or set them up,

2. pickups are not mics and i don`t see a problem installing actives other than routing out a large battery compartment, active pickups need battery power. you would be better fitting som high output passive pickups have a look at dimarzios

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/

try a high output in the bridge
and a medium in the neck

the vlx91 switch might be a little complicated to get the connections right better to get a tech to do it.

3. ibanez don`t do a yellow 350, theres a yellow 320xfm
I have one, and as far as I am concerned the trem lock is fine, it's not worth changing models for.

Great guitar with a great sound, best starter guitar I could have asked for.
The edge 3 bridge isn't the best.I've no problems with mine but,I know what I'm doing with them.Only an edge 3 or Floyd Rose will fit without the need to router a bigger hole but, the shop should be able to fit one for you,will cost more though.The pickups aren't the worse but if you can afford to change them,I would.Again the shop should be able to help.Just ask them how much before hand
Id love to get the yellow one, since i cant find an rg550 ;_;
They seem fine, besides the bridge, but the floyd rose is a direct swap with some good models (dont remember which).
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by ibanezgod1973

3. ibanez don`t do a yellow 350, theres a yellow 320xfm

Yes they do, one of them is a half yellow/half black painted RG350... I've just noticed that the (neck?) is apparently another color (white ibanez)

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/RG350DXWH-76b84d71add00253be4815b0ad2cc531.jpg

http://www.schoolmusic.co.kr/shop/ibanez/09_ltd/rg350m/rg350m_bk_1_1.jpg

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/images/product_images/original_images/Ibanez-RG-350-M-YE.jpg
Quote by A Rock Bassist
I have one, and as far as I am concerned the trem lock is fine, it's not worth changing models for.

Great guitar with a great sound, best starter guitar I could have asked for.

omg are u calling it a starter guitar?.... **** it's expensive here in sweden, perfect for its price range... my current guitar seems like a VERY, and I mean VERY cheap knock off from BC rich

http://www.jamshop.se/html/RazorDevil.jpg
THey are great guitars.

If you learn how to set up and maintain the Edge III it will not let you down, you just have to understand how to set it up right.

The stock PU's are ok, I wouldn't go the EMG route. They are very blah sounding PU's. Look into a high output passive and you will get much better tones and more versatility out of your PU's.
Quote by A Rock Bassist
No, it's the first guitar I had. The one I started with. My bad.

Didn't want to bash you or something bro, but I would be scared to death if it was considered a starter guitar XD
No it's an awesome guitar, I just have an extensive line of expensive basses so when I got an electric I wanted a quality instrument, and my the 350 is every inch that for it's price.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
finish = color right?^^ but isn't the maple/rosewood fretboards about the feel of playing the guitar? If it does not matter, then i'll think of a red one because I love red :d
Quote by A Rock Bassist
No, it's the first guitar I had. The one I started with. My bad.

happy to hear, tested the guitar and it was wicked! What amp do you run it through? I think im getting a vypyr for it:P
Quote by pjuckazz
finish = color right?^^ but isn't the maple/rosewood fretboards about the feel of playing the guitar? If it does not matter, then i'll think of a red one because I love red :d

yup, finish is the color. Supposedly maple fretboards give a "brighter" sound (but this is mostly affected by the rest of the guitar's body) and play slightly faster, while rosewood fretboards are a bit slower/less bright. Sound-wise I don't think it really makes a difference in these guitars so in the end it would just be preference.

I've only tried maple fretboards on strats and teles, and they were never as fast as the rosewood fretboard in my cheapy ibanez for me.. but that could just be 'cause I'm used to the thinner neck in my ibby.
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by A Rock Bassist
Line 6 Spider III a friend didn't want

You have 2 agree that the 2 minutes you test the amp it sounds great, but afterwards you realize how bad it is and you suddenly get arachnophobia against spider... amps! I think a peavy vypyr will do ALOT better than that
Quote by Lekz
yup, finish is the color. Supposedly maple fretboards give a "brighter" sound (but this is mostly affected by the rest of the guitar's body) and play slightly faster, while rosewood fretboards are a bit slower/less bright. Sound-wise I don't think it really makes a difference in these guitars so in the end it would just be preference.

I've only tried maple fretboards on strats and teles, and they were never as fast as the rosewood fretboard in my cheapy ibanez for me.. but that could just be 'cause I'm used to the thinner neck in my ibby.

Thx for taking the time to answer, so only solution is to test them and go for the feel... So if I don't like rosewood, im stuck with the black yellow-black Ibanez? XD
Quote by pjuckazz
You have 2 agree that the 2 minutes you test the amp it sounds great, but afterwards you realize how bad it is and you suddenly get arachnophobia against spider... amps! I think a peavy vypyr will do ALOT better than that

It will, no doubt about that.

I'm 70% saved for a Marshall Half-Stack, so when I get that the Spider can jog on to the cupboard.
The Spider III's must be terrible. I have a Spider II and it's not all that bad for a modelin amp.

All you guys with the Spider III's....have you ever played the Spider II's? Are they the same?
Quote by pjuckazz
Thx for taking the time to answer, so only solution is to test them and go for the feel... So if I don't like rosewood, im stuck with the black yellow-black Ibanez? XD

anytime, man. Yea, testing them out would be the solution (it's all personal preference!). Is this your first guitar? if that's case, it might not really make a difference and you'll grow used to whichever one you use.. and probably end up thinking the one you started with is better than the other .

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani use rosewood fretboards on (most?) of their guitars, and they play fast
Blackstar HT-5
Yea, I don't understand how a different wood on the fretboard would make you play faster or slower. My fingers never even touch the fretboard when I fret notes.
Quote by pjuckazz

check the ibanez website `cos i did
Quote by Lekz
anytime, man. Yea, testing them out would be the solution (it's all personal preference!). Is this your first guitar? if that's case, it might not really make a difference and you'll grow used to whichever one you use.. and probably end up thinking the one you started with is better than the other .

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani use rosewood fretboards on (most?) of their guitars, and they play fast

haha nah this will be my second guitar! It just takes loads of time to decide and inform yourself to be very happy with your future purchase, I try to read lots everyday about guitars and stuff so I won't seem sooo lost :P but thx for all the advice until now man! I hope this thread will help other noobies:P
Quote by ibanezgod1973
check the ibanez website `cos i did

yeah i've been checking but did not, however, find all the colors... But the prices are the same so I guess I might find the guitars easier... Crap, this finish sh!t is killing me... My friend told me to get the yellow one because when playing live, it would draw the crowds attention because of its odd colors
Quote by pjuckazz
haha nah this will be my second guitar! It just takes loads of time to decide and inform yourself to be very happy with your future purchase, I try to read lots everyday about guitars and stuff so I won't seem sooo lost :P but thx for all the advice until now man! I hope this thread will help other noobies:P

no problem, man . Hopefully n00bs would use the search bar and find this
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Lekz

I have an RG with a maple fretboard. Compared to my LTD which has an Ebony one, it doesn't make me play any faster or slower.

They're good guitars. I played a 350 a few years ago, it was pretty nice. I wouldn't get the 81/85 combo though. You'll just have this generic metal sound. EMG's make like.. every guitar sound the same.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
I have an RG with a maple fretboard. Compared to my LTD which has an Ebony one, it doesn't make me play any faster or slower.

They're good guitars. I played a 350 a few years ago, it was pretty nice. I wouldn't get the 81/85 combo though. You'll just have this generic metal sound. EMG's make like.. every guitar sound the same.

I think we've covered ground on that already

and +1 to the EMG giving a generic metal sound... I personally prefer SDs or DiMarzios, but then again.. some people ARE looking for that generic metal sound xD
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Lekz
I think we've covered ground on that already

and +1 to the EMG giving a generic metal sound... I personally prefer SDs or DiMarzios, but then again.. some people ARE looking for that generic metal sound xD

Yeah haha. At least it wouldn't be an ear raping sound, just an overused one.

You should totally put some pink Dimarzios in it if you get the yellow one. And then have green strings. You'd have a guitar that would when the light hits it, everyone gets blinded.
EMG's suck.

I don't know why so many people are hell bent on putting those into a guitar. It's all Zakk Wylde and Metallicas fault.
Quote by srob7001
EMG's suck.

I don't know why so many people are hell bent on putting those into a guitar. It's all Zakk Wylde and Metallicas fault.

yeah no they don't suck man.....sure they may not to be to your taste but some of them are good pickups and are worthy of putting in guitars.
I have had quit a few diff EMG set ups and the only ones that didn't sound like every other guitar equipped with EMG's was the David Gilmour set.

That is the only EMG set I would recommend to anybody.
Quote by srob7001
I have had quit a few diff EMG set ups and the only ones that didn't sound like every other guitar equipped with EMG's was the David Gilmour set.

That is the only EMG set I would recommend to anybody.

yeah fairs far everyones ears are different and everyone has a different perspective on tone but to say EMG's suck. meh i might be getting the david gilmour set soon anyway
so guys, what are YOUR favorite color ? personally, the black one and yellow one seems more attractive
for me, white takes the cake
Blackstar HT-5
nah, white with a alder body, rosewood finger board with tree of life inlays, gold hardware, dimarzio evoluton pups, maple and walnut neck, edge pro trem = i win.

LOL.

sorry back to the 350.........
Quote by ibanezgod1973
nah, white with a alder body, rosewood finger board with tree of life inlays, gold hardware, dimarzio evoluton pups, maple and walnut neck, edge pro trem = i win.

you know i swear Ibanez make this model similar to this, must be some ****ty learners guitar
Page 1 of 2