Hey guys. I really don't need to be buying any more guitars or engaging in any more GAS enabling conversations, but whatever. I was wondering what guitar(s) through your experience have had the better upper fret access, most comfortble cutaway, and other related things. Go!
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I find that most neck-through guitars have excellent upper fret access. In terms of bolt-ons, I would say Ibanez takes the cake. And for set necks. I like Flying Vs.
Parkers have had amazing fret access.

In terms of all around and pretty nice fret access, my trusty Fender always does it for me ;].

Ibanezes also have had really good fret access, but I can't get comfortable with their thin necks.
has anyone played that Rusty Cooley sig? he was ranting about how the cutaway is so great and how Ibanez won't give him a cutaway like that. the main reason i posted this thread basically is to find out if i can get better upper fret access than what i'm getting with my RGs.

it's sufficient now, but it could be ever so slightly more comfy, ya know? nothing big, just one of those "if i had it completely my way..." kind of things.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Shabadoo
The 27 fret Xiphos

i had a feeling this one would come up. i've been really interested in getting 27 frets actually. is the access to 25 - 27 good too? or does it just make access to 24 way more comfy?
Going to 24 is as easy as going to 15 on most guitars, and I found no issue with access to frets 25-27 either.
Quote by Shabadoo
Going to 24 is as easy as going to 15 on most guitars, and I found no issue with access to frets 25-27 either.

dammit... i'm having a custom built now...

i should have asked for 27 frets just to try it if nothing else. oh well, next time...
there was a crazy model posted a while ago where the body was cut into so your hand could slide into the body sort of and it looked weird with the lower horn being so long.

or in simpler terms think of a super strat but with the lower horn being cut alot more deeper so your hand can go up the neck more.
I've always liked Schecter neckjoints on most of their set neck/neck through guitars. Nice and smooth and provide really good access. SGs and Vs also have really good upper fret access. Herman Li's sig from Ibanez is supposed to have really good access too.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
V's win. I have a 22 fret Bolt on Randy Rhoads and I can reach every fret with my pinky, including the last fret on the low e.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

if u like v guitars the new alexi laiho sigs have great upper access, also ibanez guitars and most ESPs
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
My ****ty little LTD F-series takes the cake.
Main Rig:
1988 Ibanez Jem7RB
Marshall MG100HDFX
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez Tube Screamer
^dude, how the hell do u even play that guitar??
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
SGs, and a lot of fret king guitars - fret king are a very underrated company. i have an Esprit III and it's upper fret access rivals an SG easily but i think SGs have as close to perfect access to the upper frets as is pysically possible without an incredibly weak neck joint - so much so the strength of the neck joint is indeed compromised!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
SGs, and a lot of fret king guitars - fret king are a very underrated company. i have an Esprit III and it's upper fret access rivals an SG easily but i think SGs have as close to perfect access to the upper frets as is pysically possible without an incredibly weak neck joint - so much so the strength of the neck joint is indeed compromised!

never heard of those. i'll have to check them out.
It's actually a very comfortable guitar to play and with the Alvarez active electronics it sounds great. It actually doesn't have a tone knob the second knob blends the single coil and humbucker to change tone.

John
hmm... i might have to check those out as well
I probably should have added it to my post but Alvarez hasn't made these for years.

Here is a link to the story of the guitars roots.

http://danamusic.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=777

John

Edit: Here is a link to my original NGD post when I got the Alvarez. There are more pics and you can see how much fret access you can actually get.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088421
Last edited by johnro6659 at Jul 16, 2009,