I have a Marshall amp MG15CD series and i have a ibanez RG.
I want a better distortion sound.. so would it be a good idea if i got a distortion pedal?
IF so which pedal? WHere should i get it?

IM looking for a nickelback, slipknot, metallica, korn sorta sound.
A new amp.
I like Beans.

Quote by Hypnotisation
Throw away old strings? Are you kidding me? They're the only thing that can strangle unicorns!

BE AFRAID OF THE MODIFIED BEAR!

I know I am
What do you play? Budget? All that stuff.
I like Beans.

Quote by Hypnotisation
Throw away old strings? Are you kidding me? They're the only thing that can strangle unicorns!

I know I am
Hate to burst your bubble, but a pedal won't work on your MG. It's a moddeling amp. If you place anything other than a clean guitar sound in front of it, it will sound terrible, because the moddeling software isn't made for that purpose.
You should save up for a better amp really. Preferably a tube amp if you want nice distortion. The sticky has good recomendations
You're gonna get a lot of "get a better amp" comments. That being said, a good sounding distortion pedal will work well for you as you continue to acquire new gear, and it certainly couldn't hurt to get a couple more sounds out out of the MG.

Here are my choices of distortions that won't break the bank:

Radial Bones London (very versatile, two channels)
MXR Doubleshot (on sale right now at proguitarshop)
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi W/ Tone Wicker (fuzz not distortion but ROCKS!)
Barber Dirty Bomb (hand made and kicks ASS)

Hope this helps.
That rug really tied the room together.
Quote by lukas1324
I have a Marshall amp MG15CD series and i have a ibanez RG.
I want a better distortion sound.. so would it be a good idea if i got a distortion pedal?
IF so which pedal? WHere should i get it?

IF your looking for a better distortion the best solution is probably to give your MG a nice soak in a tub/thrown out of a 10 story window and claim the insurance...

MG's just suck...no if's, no but's...seriously - look for a used amp

Try and buy a nice used amp...best brands are amps like Crate, Randall, Peavey. A nice practice amp should set you back a few hundred used.

Amps to avoid - Line 6 (ESPECIALLY SPIDERS!!), Fender (Frontman), All solid state marshalls

Randalls probably a good bet - They've got plenty of gain on tap for stuff like slipknot, korn and metallica - should work fine for nickleback.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
+1 to Hendrixftw
I like Beans.

Quote by Hypnotisation

I know I am
+2 to Hendrix ftw
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by nightraven
-1 hendrixftw

marshall did some cool solid state amps in the 80s
line6 do great modellers other than solid state spiders

Yes but how many SS marshalls from the 80's survive to this day...
And how many SS marshalls are floating around that are MG's...

And yes line 6 do...Isn't Flextone SS?? I just meant Spider III's are pretty rubbish
Plus odds are if he has an MG then I doubt he can afford any of Line 6's good stuff
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by basilbrush
Hate to burst your bubble, but a pedal won't work on your MG. It's a moddeling amp.

Had to correct this 'cos it was bothering me. MGs are not modelling amps, they're traditional solid state. Some have digital effects but they don't model other amplifiers. And this whole 'No pedals work with modeling amps' thing annoys me. Some pedals do work with some modeling amps, you just have to know how to use them. Same with solid state.

SS does not equal DSP

And don't get me started on 'Tubscreamers don't work on solid states'

TS I'm gonna go with everyones else here and say that a new amp would e your best bet.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by hendrixftw
IF your looking for a better distortion the best solution is probably to give your MG a nice soak in a tub/thrown out of a 10 story window and claim the insurance...

MG's just suck...no if's, no but's...seriously - look for a used amp

Try and buy a nice used amp...best brands are amps like Crate, Randall, Peavey. A nice practice amp should set you back a few hundred used.

Amps to avoid - Line 6 (ESPECIALLY SPIDERS!!), Fender (Frontman), All solid state marshalls

Randalls probably a good bet - They've got plenty of gain on tap for stuff like slipknot, korn and metallica - should work fine for nickleback.

are you kidding me?
^ For what the TS is looking for they are. They make good and fairly low budget amps.
I like Beans.

Quote by Hypnotisation

I know I am
I skimmed through this topic, and then read the word "Nickelback".

[Leaves]
why you guys telling him to get rid of his MG? the overdrive is CRUSHING!!!!!

jokes aside, TS, try for a nice, used, tube amp. and listen to hendrixftw's advice.

EDIT:

Quote by lukas1324

wtf? one of these dont belong and i made it quite obvious.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Jul 16, 2009,
hey guys. I know everyone here has been dissing nickelback. BUt i only like there older stuff, not there new mainstream crap.

ANd thanks to everyone for advice, but **** you guys who are being asses about this.
Quote by basilbrush
Hate to burst your bubble, but a pedal won't work on your MG. It's a moddeling amp.

Quote by nightraven

Quote by nightraven
-1 hendrixftw

marshall did some cool solid state amps in the 80s
line6 do great modellers other than solid state spiders

You just like anti-bandwagoning.
You're the anti-bandwagon bandwagon.

Spider 1 was nice. (ish)
Quote by unet

Spider 1 was nice. (ish)

the Spider I was crap.
The Flextone and the Vetta are the only good Line 6 amps
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
For what its worth, I play a Marshall Lead 12 solid state amp from the 80s.

EDIT:
Quote by WTF!!isaTab
the Spider I was crap.
The Flextone and the Vetta are the only good Line 6 amps
Don't forget the HD147.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Jul 16, 2009,
spider 1 is crap. its a fact. we can vote. your not going to sound like any of those people without a tube amp. that being said, you can get a good distortion pedal for the price and it might make you happy. I would recommended "box of rock" from zvex

VIDEO

zachary vex says "I designed this pedal to sound like a cranked marshall JTM45"
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by RHCPFitz
are you kidding me?

Dude...They certainly aren't the best amps

Best = Diezel, Engl, High End Vintage Marshalls, Bogner, Carvin...

But considering his current setup I SERIOUSLY doubt he can afford any of those
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3